Still image slideshow of Kyoto Station and environs, about 50 years ago.  This is the previous station building.  I've read there was some opposition to the current design, that it doesn't really fit in with the city.  I never really made up my mind about it.  I do like this older building, looks like it had great JNR atmosphere :).  Reminds me of a small airport for some reason, I guess it's that tower.  Uploaded by KoichiImai.

Kyoto Station, San'in Line platform area and Tambaguchi Station, April 25th and 26th ,1971, apparently the last day of regular steam operations.  YT uploader lodgershinmeishrine has a lot of great footage which has been posted here many times before.  It's really interesting to see this area before the track was elevated, featured toward the end of the video.

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 4

What's interesting about the second video is that unless you look REALLY closely, you can't see the part of Kyoto Station where the Shinkansen platforms are located.

Ah, the days when railway stations didn't have to masquerade as shopping malls.

Yeah, they really are loaded with retail these days. Later today or tomorrow I'll see if I can find some interior pictures of this station. I figure there were some cafes or something in there.