SONIC883s Modules

SONIC883_de

SONIC883_de

Hi,

I am looking for some pictures of bridges over a river. I have some pictures with big rocks in the riverbed in my mind.

The reason is to build a Module between 920mm to 1200mm. Track system is Tomix and the bridge are two TOMIX 3051 glued together with DS140 at the ends.

Has someone nice pictures or ideas for it=

-Kai

SONIC883_de

Thanks for your links. That was the first I have done - have a look at Google. But I havent found bridges wich I like.

So I plan my own. The Tomix-Bridges are already guled. So I can't seperate them. an 560mm looks like very wide for a river with bigger rocks. So I decide me for combining road, tracks and river where the bridge goes over.

Modul is 1200mm length, 400mm deep, Modulprofile is 100mm

post-78-13569922747569_thumb.jpg

post-78-13569922775147_thumb.jpg

disturbman

Good idea but you know, you can as well have a river spreading under one bridge and half. Leaving room for some over thing, like a pedestrian walkway along the bank or a railway/road.

SONIC883_de

Hi disturbman,

can you explain your idea, maybe with a small sketch?

-Kai

EDIT:

I think I know what you mean:

On the one side a single or double track, in the middle asymectric the river and on the other side the road. The question is: how to make an realistic footpath there? Must there be a footpath?

CaptOblivious

I took him to mean something like this, with the river in the middle, and a couple of flat spots for roads or tracks or pedestrians (or all three!) half way up the banks.

bridge.gif

SONIC883_de

Okay, then I have understand it correctly (my english isn't very well).

But It is difficult to build a footpath there.

With the river not in the center but 60/40 or 70/30 can look nice, too. On the smaller side a one track lane, on the other a bigger road.

The walls can become green with Woodland turf.......

disturbman

Yes that's more or less what I had in mind. A wide side and a smaller one each one with different uses. I quite like the last idea.

But I wanted mostly to show Sonic that the river can be as wide as he wants and be where he wants. He is not obliged to have 2*2 road and a double track. he can have more variety.

I also tried to point out that in Japan there is often walkways/pathways on the banks of a river. Even more if this river is situated in an urban area. If you look at movies or animation you can see that clearly.

Anyway the bridge is not obligated to form a 90° angle with the roads/rails/river. Everything can be also have a more natural crooked look. Even if in Japan Mother Nature seems to have been quite humanised, I mean transformed into unnatural shapes.

I have many things in mind, eventhough it doesn't really fit the "big rocky river bed" description, and maybe some exemples can help :

exemple 1 : The Tobu Bridge linking Asakusa and Sumida-Ku in Tokyo. The Bridge passes the Sumida River, a park on the banks and then road where a Highway pases over him.

exemple 2 : A Bridge in Osaka. Real ass kicker river with green banks.

disturbman

At the end, I thought that this thread was more at home here in the Personal Project forum.

And I made a drawing to illustrated one of my ideas.

Bridge.BMP

SONIC883_de

Looks nice, but the biggest problem I have is that the modul has only a high of 100mm. The brigde have a high (to the bottom of the bridge) of 60mm, so I have only 40mm left for the frame of the modul.

The trains need a high of 50mm under the brigde to look realistic, so the difference to the river is only 10mm.

The heigh for cars and trucks isn't critical, so the step for the footpath is possible.

I must have a look to make a clean drawing (draw it to scale) an then I would show it to you.

Thanks for brainstroming.

disturbman

40mm seems quite deep enough to me for the frame. Where ther rive is you can lowered it up to 20mm I think. as for the missing height between the modul and the bridge foot you can have it rest on some kind of big rock or concrete formation. After all it's not so unusual for people to lower to the max the layout frame when it comes to cut up like river beds.

Prototypically speaking I have seen some exemples of it in Europe, as for Japan I don't know if they use this kind of tricks.

edit: I attached a new drawing made on the basis of the previous one.

Bridge_-_02.bmp

SONIC883_de
SONIC883_de

I had moved the layout-building-day (we are 3 people who wnt to build moduls)  to an unknown date because some personal reasons (mother in hostpital since 8 weeks, work is aweful, ...)

Maybe I have some free time in my Holiday. It isn't stoped - only paused

Kia - I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Having a family member in the hospital can be stressful. All my best.

I wunshe dein Mutter eine gute Besserung und hoffe das alles wurde bei dir besser werden. :)

Got, ich brauche noch mehr Deutschunterricht.

SONIC883_de

My english isn't very well, too. That's the reason why I am not write big topics.

Thaks for your 'Genesungwuensche'

SONIC883_de

Hello,

some news to this module

The lengh is 920mm. I decide me to build only a small bridge because I had use my 2x280 bridge in my stationary layout 'SHO TOSHI', but I have some small 140mm bridge pieces.

The river get dry and rocky with much green on the sides  like this

http://www.carto.net/neumann/travelling/japan_2004_09/05_norikura_kamikochi_2004_09_13-16/41_azusa-gawa_river_from_myojin-bridge_downstream.jpg

But I don't know what I should build on the top. There are two 40x30 cm free places (with a double track in the middle) which are waiting for ideas.  

- Kai

post-78-13569924853325_thumb.jpg

post-78-1356992485368_thumb.jpg

Kia - Nice start! Are you still going to add the double track under the bridge and the road on the other side as in the original plan?

SONIC883_de

Hi Bernard,

No, none street or doubletrack, only a riverbed with green sides. But hey, that is an modular layout. Maybe next time.

I use the parts I have over because I actually haven't much money left. New roof, new bathroom, new tyres, ... So the modules become a little bit smaller

-Kai

Very nice. What did you use for the texture on the walls and under the bridge support? The walls in particular look "real" to me.

SONIC883_de

That is styrodur from our local do-it-your-self store.

But I use this in combination with small nails for a better grip of the gipsum. But indeed - It looks like the walls

Kai,

nice module, always wanted to do modules with bridges like this! been thinking of a triple ttrak module with a single tower cable stay bridge with auto and train in the center.

on your river, if you have the cement wall channels you could also think about having it a slower, deeper river in the town, not sure what your surrounding scenery is going to be, but many channelized rivers/streams like this have those sloped concrete embankments then lots of boats (both pleasure and fishing depending on location) tie up along the embankments. there are small ladders going down to them and some even have small walkways along the edge for smaller boats. sometimes there is like a netting along the wall which i think folks use to tie to and then sort of climb up the 45° incline. i have some pictures in a book i can scan and email you.

whats your plan on the modules, sort of a one track?

cheers

jeff

SONIC883_de

Hi Jeff,

I don't want build a cement walled channel. It will become a natural riverbed. But I am intressed in the pictures of the cement channels.

What I plan do I have... hmm... a plan?

I will start building modules that I can go to some local events with them. They should show a 2 track mainline like the Nagasaki one. More nature, the city will be at the station

Some Infos about the Modules

The modules has a dimension from 920mm to 400mm (this module) up to 1200mm to 400mm (the station module was not become a station module because I used the station for my main layout) and they have a high of 100mm.

The Moduls get legs for a heigh over the flor of 1,0m. The Tracks are Tomix Finetracks because the tracks are easier to disconnect (pull straigh, not break). Between the moduls I will use the V70-Track.

• Like 1