Hello from the UK

Devonbelle

Hello - I discovered forum tonight - it's great. I'm just back from family holiday in Japan and in love with the railways - we travelled by train Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto Hiroshima and back to Tokyo. I also travelled the Kominato Railway from Goi when the family went shopping in Tokyo. I fell in love with the red and cream coloured diesel railcars and the lovely country stations.

I model o gauge and have a French o gauge exhibition layout. I'm now considering building a small Japanese o gauge model railway. On holiday I picked up some Japanese 1/43 scale road vehicles and some 1/64 scale buildings (a village general store and a riverside house - they were less than a 1000 yen and I can use them on my planned o gauge model railway). I also picked up some large HO scale cherry blossom trees, which will mask as small o gauge trees!

Best wishes, Paul

Claude_Dreyfus

Welcome. I would be very interested to see your developments; Japanese 0 gauge is seriously cool, not to mention very unusual - particularly in the UK... 

Welcome, and yes O gauge is pretty rare in Japan (at least the only models I've seen have been eye-wateringly expensive). It'd be interesting to see a 16-car O-gauge Shinkansen ;)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

French o gauge layout (Nouvion) in the link below. My next exhibition on Saturday 20th September - Culm Valley Railway show.

http://frenchrailwayheaven.webs.com/french0gauge.htm

For my Japanese o gauge plans I'm thinking I will use standard o gauge track (Peco flat bottom rail) - I'd like to scratch build a Kominato Railway single railcar. Then I have to say fell in love with DD51 diesels - so managed to get some plans and dimensions two weeks ago in various JR magazines - so pondered if I could scratch build in plastic - card, mounting on Lima o gauge bogies - 3 required of course. I'll post efforts. If my model plans become reality I'd like to exhibit, recognising the sheer rarity.

Regards Paul

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

Allo Allo...that's a familar name!

I see from your website you exhibited at Winchester. Is that local to you?

• Like 1

Just final tweaks to French o gauge layout ready for show this Saturday - then I embark on my o gauge Japanese layout - it's going to be mounted on a large ironing board! Ideal for displaying at model railway shows.

I'll paste some photos of progress and share with you. Baseboard built. So I'm starting with buildings, doing the kits I purchased in Kyoto - I can then position buildings around layout to get optimal look.

To answer Claudes question, Winchester about 80 miles away from me in Wiltshire.

Paul

Welcome! O is an interesting and rare scale, even for French modelling, but very rare for Japanese models. I would really like to know more about your french layout (like the way of operation, rolling stock) and your Japanese plans (trackplan, rolling stock, operation possibilities).

• Like 1

Evening.

KVP asked about the French layout. I can have two trains operating at once - one running in/out of the station and one working in the tiny freight yard - two sidings. At the other end is two hidden sidings. So a very simple track layout.

Rolling stock is many Lima - all of which has been detailed, resprayed. Fortunately Lima did a French Bo-Bo diesel loco in the 1970s - so I have picked up 4 from Ebay. I also have a locotracteur - which runs on an Atlas chassis with a plastic card body - based on a typical French shunt loco. Plus I have a British class 20 loco (4 where shipped to France from the UK in 1992), finished in the colours of French rail operator CFD (that's Orange White and Blue). Plus I have some standard Lima European coaches finished in French green and grey - I also modified the roofs to better resemble French coaches as well as a respray.

I substantially completed my first Japanese o gauge building today - I will start a new thread on my planned Japanese o gauge layout; sometime this week. I'll address some of the questions on that layout in the new thread. Regards Paul

Paul,

Sounds very cool! Would enjoy seeing some Picts from the construction od the o scale Japanese kits, very curious about them! Never seen any myself. Will also be great to see an O scale Japanese layout come together!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4