Hello from UK

kokuma

Hi All,

Ive been lurking for the past couple of weeks digesting all the information on here.

Im just getting back into Trains after a 20year break!.... My main interest is High Speed Multiple Train units which has led to an interest in Japanese Shinkansen... hence why I'm on here.

I'm currently attempting to create a layout.. but I keep buying trains so its getting pushed back all the time... I think my logic is backwards as I have trains but nothing to run them on!! (at least the trains are easy to hide from the wife!)

Greeting to all

Derek

Welcome Derek!

Yap I think most of us here agree too we have way too many trains that we can actually run on haha ~ Somehow or rather, train modelling turned into train model collecting ~~ Can't help as the Japanese models are way too beautiful to miss!

Hi Derek

Welcome! You sound like you're in a similar situation to me, except I'm actually in Japan. Though luckily my wife is both fascinated by small models (houses, people etc.) but isn't very good at differentiating between trains. Anyway I am literally just starting to rearrange my room to fit the layout in properly, which will feature at least one cunningly hidden area for storing the whirry things which go round and round interrupting the view of the scenery.

Generally it's not a bad idea to have the trains that you want to run before you design your layout, because most of the time, there isn't enough info about them on the net, so you don't know if a train will run on a certain track configuration or not until you try it. This is why having many trains and lots of track pieces is good, because you can run them on a table. After you know what your trains can do and what you want, you can design and build a layout for them. Making a layout first and buying trains later usually results in a few problems, like trains not fitting into a station, curve or turnout radiuses being too small, etc. The worst i've seen on many quickly built layouts is locomotives getting caught by platform edges, tunnel portals and longer cars hitting lineside objects like trees and catenary poles. This usually leads to either a rebuild or a completly newly constructed layout.

ps: The ability to disassemble/pack away/hide a layout is important. Mainly in case one has to move and secondly in case someone important in the family doesn't want to see a layout when not in use. Going modular also helps hiding layout creep. It's harder to notice that a layout has grown another 50 cm in a month than seeing a new 500 cm extension in a year.

Hi Derek...

as you are from UK, do you think to visit the N Gauge Show in Leamington Spa next week?

I will be there on saturday 13... 

• Like 1

Helli IST... 

nice to see you again.

I think to arrive with the first train possible to take the first bus... but I don't know if I arrive directly from London (with Chiltern Rwy) or from via Rugby, just to travel on class 221 X-Country, but another solution is via Birmingham with Virgin pendolino...

If you have the same mobile number we can text SMSs...

Thanks to all,

@railsquid - yep sounds like a very similar situation... I dont really have to hide the trains, most of them are Kato now and they all look the same in their nice cases!

@kvp - Good advice, Iluckily for me I have a spare room in the house at my disposal (the smallest room) so I can have a layout in there permanently although I'm making it so it can fold up against the wall.. but still i should be able to get a 2.4m x 1.2 layout to fit nicely. I'll post up pics in the appropriate section as it progresses.

@Matteo_IT - I was hoping to get there on the Sunday, I dont think I can make Saturday due to other commitments.

Edited by kokuma
Claude_Dreyfus

The UK contingent keeps growing on here! 

I'm currently attempting to create a layout.. but I keep buying trains so its getting pushed back all the time... I think my logic is backwards as I have trains but nothing to run them on!! (at least the trains are easy to hide from the wife!)

That's okay... I have a layout, but a good 70% of my trains are too long for it...cannot run a full-length Bullet on a layout only 8' x 1'6"!

Adding to the TINGS off topic discussion, again I am not attending this year - a combination of taking the layout to a show this weekend and other things happening next weekend - but I'll have no excuse but to go next year; Kanjiyama is booked to show at TINGS for 2015.

hi Derek, welcome to the board.  We're getting a lot of new members recently (and they're not bots! :) )

Edited by miyakoji