Turnout control

velotrain

I'm getting close to physical construction of my first module, but I haven't done any electrical work in 15-20 years.

I have no intent of buying Kato/Tomix "turnout controllers".

What I'd prefer is the two-button switches with illumination, indicating which way the turnout is thrown, and incorporate these into a track schematic.

Could anyone recommend U.S. sources for these?  Or, cheap Hong Kong sources with English language capability?

My belief is that the Kato/Tomix switch motors are of a momentary contact type (vs. stall).  Since the pushbuttons are only completing a circuit, am I right in thinking that the actual power comes from the fixed 12V DC output of the transformer?

I recall capacitor discharge being used to throw multiple turnouts at once.  This was most often used when you had a ladder yard track, and this allowed you to select the yard track you wanted, and all turnouts connecting it to the yard main were thrown at once.  I don't know if I need this, but are such units still made?  Actually, at the time I believe you had to build your own.

thanks, Charles

PS - I'd appreciate links to any relevant web-sites - I'm sure I'll have other wiring questions as I go along.

For tomix and kato track, you should always use some form of pulse limiter, because a longer push on a button could burn them out. Most of the time, a capacitor discharge circuit is used for this, since it will limit the amout of power a turnout gets. Some of them have lights and operate either with push buttons or double throw switches. Multiple turnouts require more power and more complex circuits, so a simple capacitor discharge circuit may not drive more than one turnout.

You might want to look at this topic:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/1031-bcd-switch-control-circuit/