5 most scenic routes in japan. Most interesting Shinkansen route.

Steve4031

Oops. I hit submit too fast. I was interested in scenic routes a first time railfan visitor to japan should consider.

Also, what is the most interesting Shinkansen ride?

Thanks.

Also, what is the most interesting Shinkansen ride?

None. Even more if you are interested in scenic views. The Shinkansen is really made to move people fast. One of the most interesting rides is the one that will give you hours of sleep (damn those seats are comfy) if you cannot find a hotel. If not, I would say, it could become interesting if you have a couple of models you absolutely want to ride.

For the rest, you are better off riding Limited Expresses.

As for scenic routes, as a first time visitor, I think they would all be quite scenic for you. Though, you might want to avoid the Tokaido. I found Kuyshu really beautiful myself and the way out of Tokyo on the Super Asuza was quite impressive too. I would say any line that goes through mountains, away from populous areas. And probably the coast of the Sea of Japan.

Others would have probably more specific answers than mine.

• Like 2

Scenic rides? Iida (Toyohashi - Tatsuno) and Hida (Gifu - Toyama) lines are two suggestions for starters.

Cheers NB

None. Even more if you are interested in scenic views. The Shinkansen is really made to move people fast. One of the most interesting rides is the one that will give you hours of sleep (damn those seats are comfy) if you cannot find a hotel. If not, I would say, it could become interesting if you have a couple of models you absolutely want to ride.

Disagree. While the Tokaido/Sanyo shinkansen basically runs through a 1000km or more of urban dullness (though IIRC the western ends of the Sanyo are not so bad, and the bit on the Tokaido where it goes past Mt Fuji is a must), the Yamagata and Akita "mini" Shinkansens roll through some very nice scenery and the Tohoku Shinkansen is quite nice once it gets out of the Kanto area (can't say the same about many of the towns it passes through mind).

FWIW the Joetsu shinkansen looks like it should be nice on the map, but by the time it gets out of the Kanto area and under the mountains it's almost reach Niigata city already. The Nagano line isn't quite so bad but not really a ride I'd do for the view (if I was going to Nagano from Tokyo and had a railpass and the time, I'd go via Matsumoto, which is way prettier). Dunno about the Kyushu shinkansen.

Other random lines I remember as being nice: the one between Sendai and Yamagata (Senzan line); pretty much anywhere on the Sea of Japan side; Tadami line (IIRC currently interrupted); I'm also quite fond of the rural bits of Chiba. The line from Beppu to Kumamoto on Kyushu.

One thing to watch out for is the season - I think Japan looks at its best when the rice is sprouting, and too early means all the fields will be a very dull, boring colour.

• Like 1

I agree with the notion that the Shinkansen are best looked at as a way to get from point A to point B to see the more interesting stuff unless your idea of scenery is tunnels and noise barriers, though a ride on the original Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin Osaka is worthwhile.

As for the rest of Japan's rail network, if you're a first timer I think you can pretty well just stick a pin in a map and end up somewhere good.

Thank you for the input. Japan us a bucket list trip for me. There is no way in heck I can get it all in on one trip. So I think this bucket is going to get a lot of visits.

I'm a school teacher and a railfan in the USA so the summer is most line the time I'll go. I'm going to get a 14 day pass. And ride trains every day.

What time does it get light in Tokyo during the summer? I know with jet lag I'll be up early. So might as well get up and work that pass.

What time does it get light in Tokyo during the summer? I know with jet lag I'll be up early. So might as well get up and work that pass.

Something silly like 4:30am, and gets dark around 7pm (personally I think the time zone could be tweaked a little but that's another story). Early starts are definitely the way to go. Don't overdo things - 14 days is a lot of trains and after a while you will get tired of them. What I did was start off in Kyushu, then over a series of trips work my way across Japan (though I was working under the assumption that one day I would live in Tokyo, so better to explore the remoter regions while it was easy). Lay in a quiet "sightseeing" day every now and again. Don't restrict yourself to one base; Tokyo is convenient but shuttling back-and-forth gets boring quickly. Plan a general itenary but prepare to be flexible - I was doing the Kanazawa area, got caught out by heavy rain, checked the weather forecast and headed down to Shikoku the next morning).

This was something I put together. What do you think?

Day 1 June 30

depart USA

Day 2 Tokyo July 1 3 nights Hilton 150,000 points or $800 USD

arrive Tokyo late afternoon

Day 3 July 2 Tokyo

sight see Tokyo

Day 4 July 3 Tokyo

Hakone-a series of trains, buses, boats, and cable cars to see Mt. Fuji 5,000 yen in 2012 or 63 US dollars. Includes transit to and from Tokyo

Day 5 July 4 Sapporo JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo 150 usd

Depart Tokyo 7:04 am

Arrive ShinAomori – 10:29

Depart ShinAomori –Depart 11:30

Arrive Hakodate 1:42 p.m.

Depart Hakodate 3:13 p.m

Arrive Sapporo 6:43 p.m.

Day 6 July 5th Akita Richmond Hotel Akita Ekimae 80 USD

Depart Sapporo 10:22 a.m.

Arrive Hakodate 1:54 p.m.

Depart Hakodate 2:03 p.m.

Arrive Aomori 3:55 p.m.

Depart Aomori 3:58 p.m.

Arrive Akita 6:46 p.m.

Overnight Akita.

Day 7 July 6 Niigata Hotel Nikko 100 USD

Depart Akita 8:09

Arrive Shinjo 10:48

Depart Shinjo 11:11

Arrive Omiya 2:22 p.m

Depart omiya 2:42 p.m.

Arrive Niigata 4:20 p.m.

overnight Niigata.

Day 8 July 7 Nagoya Hilton 166

Dp. Niigata 8:33 a.m.

Ar Takasaki 9:42 a.m.

Dp Takasaki 9:58 a.m.

Ar Nagano 10:46 a.m.

Dp. Nagano 11:24

Ar Naoetsu 12:58 p.m.

Dp. Naoetsu 1:30 P.M.

Ar Toyama 2:39 P.M.

Dp Toyama 3:10 p.m.

Ar Nagoya 7:03 p.m.

Overnight Nagoaya

Day 9 July 8 Osaka Hilton 700 USD

Dp Nagoya 9:11

Ar. Okayama 11:20 a.m.

Dp. Okayama 12:05 p.m.

Ar Kochi 2:42 p.m.

Dp. Kochi 3:13 p.m.

Ar. Okayama 5:41 p.m.

Dp. Okayama 5:58 p.m.

Ar. Shin-osaka 6:45 p.m.

Day 10 July 9 Osaka Hilton

Dp. Shin-Osaka 8:07 a.m.

Ar Kagoshima-chuo 12:10 p.m.

Dp. Kagoshima-chuo 1:42 p.m.

Arrive Shin-Osaka 5:44 p.m.

Overnight in Osaka

Day 11 July 10 Osaka Hilton

Depart Shin Osaka 8:07 a.m.

Arrive Hiroshima 9:38 a.M.

Depart Hiroshima 3:17 p.m.

arrive Shin Osaka 4:44 p.m

Overnight in Osaka

Day 12 July 11 Tokyo or Narita Hilton 115 usd or 20,000 point

Depart Shin Osaka 8:15 a.m.

Arrive Kyoto 8:30 a.m.

Continue to Tokyo

Day 13 July 12

Fly home

Edited by Steve4031

Disagree. While the Tokaido/Sanyo shinkansen basically runs through a 1000km or more of urban dullness (though IIRC the western ends of the Sanyo are not so bad, and the bit on the Tokaido where it goes past Mt Fuji is a must), the Yamagata and Akita "mini" Shinkansens roll through some very nice scenery and the Tohoku Shinkansen is quite nice once it gets out of the Kanto area (can't say the same about many of the towns it passes through mind).

Good point here, I've only been on the Tokaido/Sanyo, I hadn't thought of the northern-running lines.

I still have to agree with disturbman's comment about conventional express services, though. There are just more of them, and don't go fast enough to blur objects 500m from the line :). A few of my limited express dream journeys are Aomori to Shimonoseki via the Sea of Japan lines, and full circuits (or as close as possible) around Kyushu, Shikoku, and Hokkaido.

• Like 1

This was something I put together. What do you think?

Day 1 June 30

depart USA

Day 12 July 11 Tokyo or Narita Hilton 115 usd or 20,000 point

Depart Shin Osaka 8:15 a.m.

Arrive Kyoto 8:30 a.m.

Continue to Tokyo

Day 13 July 12

Fly home

while that great to see alot of the country in 14 days.  you are also missing alot of the country trying to cover so much.  you are missing trams, scenic railways etc in your quest to cover many kilometers.

to see the basics-

toyko needs at least a minimum 3-4 full days.

kyushu needs at least a minimum 4-5 full days.

osaka/kyoto needs at least a minimum 3-4 full days.

hiroshima 1-2 a minimum full days.

and then there'd be heaps of things/towns/places that would be inbetween those needing time aswell.

you'd be better off attempting to do half the country in a 14 trip, and another half of the country in another trip. ie kagoshima to kyoto and sapporo to kyoto etc.

or if you can stay longer, the better.

i'm going in october for my first trip, and i have the first time try-to-fit-everything-in-bug the same as you.  but you have to be realistic and drop a few things.

thread of my planning if you're interested:- http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8775-japan-travel-tips/page-1

for my first 14 day trip i'm doing half of tokyo, kyoto and half of kyushu.

on my second 14 day trip, i'll to the other half of tokyo, osaka, hiroshima and the other half of kyushu.

and still haven't gone north of tokyo yet!

Edited by katoftw

while that great to see alot of the country in 14 days.  you are also missing alot of the country trying to cover so much.  you are missing trams, scenic railways etc in your quest to cover many kilometers.

toyko needs at least a minimum 3-4 full days.

kyushu needs at least a minimum 4-5 full days.

osaka/kyoto needs at least a minimum 3-4 full days.

hiroshima 1-2 a minimum full days.

and then there'd be heaps of things/towns/places that would be inbetween those needing time aswell.

you'd be better off attempting to do half the country in a 14 trip, and another half of the country in another trip. ie kagoshima to kyoto and sapporo to kyoto etc.

Yes, definitely way too much for two weeks, no matter how tempting the timetabling looks. You'll end up having seen a heap of scenery which will all start to look the same after a while, and a bunch of trains, towns and hotels which will also start look the same.

If you're coming in summer, I'd recommend concentrating on Tohoku/Hokkaido and/or the Sea of Japan side, which will be more pleasant from a climate point of view.

Yes, definitely way too much for two weeks, no matter how tempting the timetabling looks. You'll end up having seen a heap of scenery which will all start to look the same after a while, and a bunch of trains, towns and hotels which will also start look the same.

If you're coming in summer, I'd recommend concentrating on Tohoku/Hokkaido and/or the Sea of Japan side, which will be more pleasant from a climate point of view.

If you're flying to/from Tokyo, I'd recommend spending a couple of days in Tokyo like on your plan (the Fuji round trip is definitely worth it and easy to do); a quick trip to Kyoto (or better Nara, which is quieter and easier to get around and not so much Hot Concrete City as Kyoto), then from Tokyo a tour up towards Akita/Aomori via the Yamagata Shinkansen then work your way back along the Sea of Japan coast maybe as far as Kanazawa, then work your way back to Tokyo via Nagano and Matsumoto and the Chuo mainline.

Wow seems everyone is not spared from the fit-everything-in bug ~ Haha ~

I do think it's kinda a rush too, since you have 14 days but will be covering almost from North in Hokkaido to South in Kagoshima-Chuo. Take your time, Japan is intended to be visited more than once by us railfans ~

By the way, you mentioned July, so i'll assume it's 2015 July? Perhaps you can look at flying into Sapporo directly. I did the same journey as you in my previous trip, and boy travelling from Tokyo to Sapporo takes almost one full day of trains, and another full day back. Although i'm not complaining since I love the trains, but if you're travelling with the Mrs. or kids it might be a problem for long distance train trips. Flying into Sapporo directly saves you maximum time, and I regretted not taking a flight in and wasted 2 full days of travelling...

For scenic Shinkansen routes, most of our friends have mentioned it's more of a getting-there actually then a scenic trip, especially on the Sanyo and Tokaido which you might be travelling a fair bit to reach Kagoshima-Chuo. The Tohoku is, well, if you're taking the Hayate/ Hayabusa, it really doesn't have much to see except viaducts and tunnels.   

For scenic routes, limited express and joyful train rides are the way to go. I would highly recommend the Hida Wide View, from Nagoya to Takayama. It's in Central Japan, and the sights that the train moves through is fantastic. Mountains, lakes, huge dams, fields etc. Very scenic.  Takayama is also a historic village, and has seen an increase in visitors for its nostalgic feeling and nice onsens. Highly recommended for first timers to Japan.  

You're skipping Kyoto/ Nara? I would really recommend if it is your first trip there. Kyoto/ Nara is almost like ancient Japan, and the temples and shrines are simply worth visiting. The power emitting from them are great, and you'll be sure to be healed of your wearies. Try the Fushimi-Inari Shrine, or the 1000 Tori gates shrine. I loved that the most as it was a nice walk around the entire shrine up the hill through all the Tori Gates for good luck.

You're just visiting Kagoshima-Chuo for about 2 hours? It would be a huge waste to just ride the trains to reach there and not being able to see the sight there. Kyushu by itself easily takes 3-4 days, if you would like to ride all the scenic train rides. Kyushu has one of the highest numbers of joyful train and scenic train rides around, like the Yufuin-No-Mori, Hayato-no-Kaze, Isaburo-Shinpei, Aso Boy just to name a few, and interesting rides like thee triple switch back on the Aso Boy and Masaki station on the Isaburo-Shinpei on the Hitsatsu Line, which was voted the best scenic train ride in Japan.

Hoped that helped! I'm planning a trip there next year April too. Japan is just so exciting for rail fans!

I was thinking I had too much planned. The schedule and map are definitely enticing. I appreciate the suggestions. I think the suggestions if staying in different places for 3 or four days is helpful. My first two solo trips to europe using rail passes had similar itineraries. I liked it, but i planned that with the idea I would never be back. I need to plan several trips to japan to maximize my enjoyment.

As for the Shinkansen, I do enjoy seeing the viaducts and tunnels and the railway infrastructure. I enjoyed this on the tgv, ice, and Italy's Eurostar. However, the diversity and "coolness" of the various non-Shinkansen trains such as the Hida, and the super Asuza blow me away.

I've seen trams mentioned too. So now I'm obsessing about that too. Lol. I think I remember reading that Nagasaki has trams, so now that's on the to do list . . .

I have a gf, but there is no way she's going to want to ride all of these trains. Or half of them. So this first trip I'm going to get riding out if my system.

I do want to do some sightseeing. I have to balance this out too. Maybe one part of the day sightseeing and then an out and back train ride.

I'll keep working on this and return with the revisions. Thank you.

I was thinking I had too much planned. The schedule and map are definitely enticing. I appreciate the suggestions. I think the suggestions if staying in different places for 3 or four days is helpful. My first two solo trips to europe using rail passes had similar itineraries. I liked it, but i planned that with the idea I would never be back. I need to plan several trips to japan to maximize my enjoyment.

I understand what you mean, but IMHO it's better to enjoy what you can than fret about maximising mileage and ticking boxes.

As for the Shinkansen, I do enjoy seeing the viaducts and tunnels and the railway infrastructure. I enjoyed this on the tgv, ice, and Italy's Eurostar.

Hmm, I see what you mean but it goes by in a flash. What I definitely recommend is standing on a platform when trains are running by at full speed, it's something to remember.

As for the Shinkansen, I do enjoy seeing the viaducts and tunnels and the railway infrastructure. I enjoyed this on the tgv, ice, and Italy's Eurostar.

And the sound barriers. From experience I can say that the TGV, ICE and Italy's Eurostar are usually somewhat slightly more scenic than any Shinkansen I have ever ridden.

Nagasaki does have trams, and the city is really really nice. I would always recommend it; that and a walk through the hill slops. Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Kyoto and Osaka are the nicest cities I have been to in Japan (mind you I have not seen the northern part of Kanto, nor visited Hokkaido and the Tohoku).

If you can, I would also recommend to arrive somewhere else than Tokyo. Osaka, Fukuoka, Sapporo are all nice places to start with, you can always stay in Tokyo on your way out.

Edited by disturbman

For the rest, you are better off riding Limited Expresses.

As for scenic routes, as a first time visitor, I think they would all be quite scenic for you. Though, you might want to avoid the Tokaido. I found Kuyshu really beautiful myself and the way out of Tokyo on the Super Asuza was quite impressive too. I would say any line that goes through mountains, away from populous areas. And probably the coast of the Sea of Japan.

Others would have probably more specific answers than mine.

Hello Mr Steve4031,

I was wondering how long you plan to be in Japan and what time of year?

Yes.  I agree with Mr disturbman that rail journeys in Kyushu are among the most scenic.  In particular, I recommend the round trip Hataka-Kokura-Beppu ... where you see the nine hells ... Beppu-Oita-Yufuin-Kurame-Hakata.  You can take a standard train if you cannot book Yufuin-no-mori, or the time is inconvenient.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/time_table/time_table.html

As I used to live in Yamanashi, I must agree that the Chuo Main Line is very scenic.  There are several round trips that can be done in a day or two, such as Shinjuku-Kofu on Chuo Main Line, then Kofu-Fuji on Minobu Line, then return to Tokyo.  Another is to take several days and work all the way from Shinjuku to Nagoya, or the reverse.

Not yet mentioned is my favourite trip - The Hakone-Tozan Railway.  I would recommend staying two or three nights at Gora as your base camp.  Please consider the following links:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5202.html

http://www.hakone-tozan.co.jp/en/

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/

• Like 1

Oh, so sorry Mr  Steve4031,

I just see your plan.  12 days.  OK.  Please see either north half or south half of the country only.  That is to say, Tokyo up to Sapporo, or Tokyo down to Kyoto.  To tell you the truth, unless you want to photograph everything from the train window, you will enjoy your holiday more if you have more time to experience the culture of Japan.  As this is your first trip to Japan I would now suggest:

Tokyo - 4 days

Hakone - 2 days

Osaka - 2 days

Nara - 1 day

Kyoto - 3 days

• Like 1

While I think about it, here's a route I took my parents (in their late 50's at the time) on a few years back, in late May IIRC.

Day 1: Tokyo - Hikone (little place on the shores of Lake Biwako not so far from Kyoto with one of Japan's 4 genuine old castles, very serene and not much tourist hustle); stayed in Kyoto but didn't see the city

Day 2: Nara (unless you really want to see something in Kyoto, Nara is much more convenient for Olde Japanese Things In A Day)

Day 3: Hiroshima

Day 4: Kurashiki (stayed in Kobe overnight)

Day 5: Kanazawa

Day 6: Matsumoto

Day 7: Tokyo

Covered a fair swathe of western and central Honshu while getting a decent amount of sightseeing in, but not rushing too much. I definitely fulfilled my father's request to get his money's worth out of the rail pass. I didn't even plan the schedule in great detail, as I wasn't sure how much my parents could take, but it worked out pretty well. Hotels were mainly Toyoku Inns, booked on spec each day (didn't even have mobile internet at the time, so it was a bit of a risk but worked out well). It did help of course that I'd covered the ground on previous trips.

E6 and jr500, thank you for the detailed responses. I see that the Kyushu has a lot of interesting rides that I did not know about. I'm thinking about focusing more on the western half of Honshu, using Tokyo and Osaka as home bases. I'm thinking 5 nights in each and then setting up a home base in Kyushu to ride trains there.

This may seem blasphemous to some , but I'm more interested in the modern trains then steam trains. The you tube videos of the super Azusa and others are fascinating to me.

Hi Steve:

No worries glad to help. Here's a website, although in Japanese, showing lotsa pictures regarding scenic and joyful train trips in Kyushu:

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/trains/

I would highly recommend the Aso boy at least, since it has the only triple switchback route which is really interesting, and the train itself is fun! I'm not sure about the reservation, but I guess it would be kinda difficult to reserve. Perhaps some others here with experience booking them can share?

The aso boy is a done deal. I've already found the schedules in English. I know about hyperpedia. The main barrier for me is getting away from riding too much. What city would you recommend as a base for exploring Kyushu?