Designing my tram terminal module

velotrain

I did the initial test layout of my terminal module today.

post-941-0-08423300-1409380350_thumb.jpg

I'll move the structures and turnouts around until I'm satisfied, and then tie it together with flex-track.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm well aware that it's not Japanese prototypical, but it's what I want.  It's largely inspired by the yards I'm familiar with in Boston - and imagination.

I'm projecting it as the central HQ for the lines serving a small-size city.

There will also be a small tower at the entrance, and several storage buildings inside the loop.  All structures will be painted with the same colors - except the brick one.  Although I like it, I'm not yet sure it will stay - both because it looks really retro (even for me ;-), and it hides the trams, when you generally want to show them off.

The switches nearest the entrance provide storage for the Microace A8362 - Keihan Series 800 Keishin Line.  I was taken by the photo of it street-running, and have pre-ordered it, but am fairly sure that it won't work with tram-radius curves, so it will have a straight run only.  The mock-up is done with 103 and 140 radius, but I might bump that up to 140 and 177.

post-941-0-83943700-1409380392_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-31869700-1409380500_thumb.jpg

The main office building and a "crew lounge" are located along the outbound tracks.

post-941-0-16591200-1409380553_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-18750800-1409380645_thumb.jpg

Just past the entry is a ladder track to the maintenance building, and two tracks behind it for a work train, etc.  There's currently also a long track in front of it - purpose TBD.

post-941-0-05841500-1409380578_thumb.jpg

At the far end of the facility, the outer track goes through the wash rack.  There's also a substation back there.

I may have a switch come off the wash track just before it rejoins the main loop to serve  additional storage tracks at the top of the module, although I kind of like the current teardrop shape.

One thing I often fail to account for is road access, and it's needed here - especially to the shops.

I may add a left turnout at the present location of the office, to get outbound cars onto the outer track of the main loop.  However, I'd still lack a means of getting cars on the inner track back into the terminal.  I'm playing around with track components to see if I can make a three-way, double track junction - but it would take a fair amount of real estate.  Space is already tight, and I don't want to make it any longer than the current 4'.

post-941-0-64662800-1409380611_thumb.jpg

I'm open to any comments, but as I suggested this is quite close to what I had envisioned.

• Like 3

I realized that the entrance trackage was non-functional, so I have revision # 1 already.

The arriving Keihan Series 800 takes the turnout to a siding at module edge, and leaving crosses over the inbound to the outbound track.  Two more left turnouts to buy.

Also, the ladder track comes off the inbound, which is much more logical than reversing from the outbound.

post-941-0-90798000-1409387296_thumb.jpg

I really like the yard/terminal loop idea. Keep working through it!

I, too, do not use the Japanese tram materials to accurately model Japanese lines. For me they are just great raw materials to make an interesting tram or trolley layout. I aim for a typical "world city" that could be anywhere. Then I can run whatever I like on it!

Rich K.

Thanks, Rich.  I feel that I'm designing my own tramway, but with a Japanese theme.  Besides this representing what I'm used to, I feel that it also better supports "unattended operation", without sophisticated electronics.  I started with the functions that I wanted - city tram lines HQ, large maintenance shop, wash rack / cleaning track, and ready tracks / car-barn, selected structures for each, and am going from there.

I'm planning to have some modules ready to bring to Philly in May - we shall see if I stick with it, as I'm easily distracted by new interests.

Charles 

Reminds me of the Randen rail yard and sheds.

Question though - Will Keihan 800s manage 103 and 140 curves?

edit/  Another question - is the modern shed the greenmax maintenence facility?

Edited by katoftw

Quick Question,

What brand are those small radius points? Looked on hobby search but no luck.

> Will Keihan 800s manage 103 and 140 curves?

I don't know what they need, but I think it's a given that 103 or 140 will not work.

Nariichi said, "Unfortunately there is no official release for minimum turning radius.  However,

as the body length is shorter than ordinary train, I assume it can go through
smaller radius like Kato R183."

I have no idea what they're officially classified as, and it was largely my surprise at seeing a train with a pantograph running in a street that appealed to me.

I also think it's just a very cool looking photo

> is the modern shed the greenmax maintenence facility?

Yes - I really like that distinctive roofline, and the Kato and Tomix versions seem dull to me.

On a module with only low-rise buildings, I thought any bit of visual texture would help.

I've recently (today) been thinking of using a bunch of them to bash a large port warehouse.

> is the modern shed the greenmax maintenence facility?

Yes - I really like that distinctive roofline, and the Kato and Tomix versions seem dull to me.

On a module with only low-rise buildings, I thought any bit of visual texture would help.

I've recently (today) been thinking of using a bunch of them to bash a large port warehouse.

I like thefact it comes in 2 15cm sections, ie the pics you see are 30cm long, but these are perfect for shorter trams as you can put 2 15cm sections next to eachother to make a short sheds.

Edited by katoftw

I also like that they give you 2 each of 3 different end wall types.

Since mine will be run-through, I thought I was going to need to bash the rear wall with two track openings, but I only had to cut off the windows.

Version 2.0

post-941-0-49016800-1409693109_thumb.jpg

The major change was the decision to add an internal loop.

Some of the Boston LRT terminals have this - in addition to the "reversing" loop, I presume to help in moving equipment around. 

However, since this will be my first module, I decided I wanted the loop to allow local operation here before I build other modules.

When I do, I can include the terminal in the main loop, or run it independently to give me three trams running.

I've added four storage tracks, realizing that I needed more than the "ready" tracks in the car-barn.

I also modified the entry area, isolating the Keihan Series 800 track from the loop.  I'm ordering R280 turnouts for this track, since I don't know if it will handle the R140 turnouts.  It will be a bit of a squeeze to fit the longer turnouts in, but I'll manage.

I've ordered the additional turnouts and the crossing that I need.  The next step is to design the physical construction of the module.

I'm a bit intimidated by thoughts of the control panel that it will require.

I also did track design work on the downtown module that will be adjacent to this.  It will be deeper (and non-rectangular), so not all track is shown.  I must confess that I really like the complex trackwork at the junction.  The top-left line leads to the module that will be "above" the terminal.  Outside of the Kato line at the bottom and right, I'll use Tomix street track as much as I can - except for the PRoW section along the top.  I've realized that I'll need to shift the UniTram track in from the edge of the module, to account for the alignment on the terminal module.

post-941-0-80096200-1409693708_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Add a dummy freight track along one side and you'll have Fannin South...

I take it that it's the end of a commuter line?  I was a bit surprised by the almost complete lack of rolling stock - at least out in the open.

I am feeling a tad guilty at filling so much of it with track, but once I've envisioned something it's hard for me to step back.

The terminal layout may not be proto Japanese, but the density will be fitting of Tokyo  ;-)

The next module will require a much longer design period, so this will give me something to run trams on - and maybe a little freight.

The terminal layout may not be proto Japanese, but the density will be fitting of Tokyo ;-)

The Japanese prototype is usually just a car barn off the mainline and trams tend to back into the sidings, so a misthrown yard switch couldn't cause one of the revenue trams to end up in the barn. Also, most of the tram lines use two directional trams, so no turning is required. Another Japanese speciality is the single track terminal on double track lines with an Y turnout.

On the other hand, your layout without the barns looks very much like the tram station at Shibuya before the Tokyo network was ripped up. It had multiple lines in, several parallel through tracks and multiple lines out, with many single unit trams (streetcars) standing in line behind each other. I don't have the exact trackplan, just saw some photos. Maybe someone has it...

I have no idea what they're officially classified as, and it was largely my surprise at seeing a train with a pantograph running in a street that appealed to me.

I went on those a couple of times - kind of wierd starting off in a typical metro tunnel on a typical, if slightly short, metro train, which emerges onto a rural line running through the hills then suddenly you find yourself going down a major city road in traffic.

On the other hand, your layout without the barns looks very much like the tram station at Shibuya before the Tokyo network was ripped up. It had multiple lines in, several parallel through tracks and multiple lines out, with many single unit trams (streetcars) standing in line behind each other. I don't have the exact trackplan, just saw some photos. Maybe someone has it...

The first picture on the right in the block of pictures on this page: http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kouchan_f/rmodel11.htm ( this one) is an HO model of the terminus; the Ginza subway line is on the right.

Here's a historical picture:

51de3b5eb4c4eb66bd99a429cab601d111fecad9

The station on the left is the Keio Inokashira line. This Google search brings up a lot of pictures.

• Like 1

And here's a link with some simple track plans: http://blog.livedoor.jp/beckykusamakura/archives/39214807.html

The first is from 1935, the second from 1938 when the line became a terminus after the opening of the Ginza metro line (roughly the situation in the photo in my previous post); the third from 1957 after the consolidation of the Tokyo city tram lines to the east of Shibuya station.

Edited by railsquid
Mudkip Orange

I take it that it's the end of a commuter line?  I was a bit surprised by the almost complete lack of rolling stock - at least out in the open.

My guess is that Google's sat photo was taken during the middle of the afternoon rush. I say that because the park and ride is half empty (suggesting the early birds have gone home), but the adjacent parallel spots on Crosspoint are largely full. The trains are all still operating.

In the current incarnation, the Hamaotsu trains are linked into the Kyoto subway, but in a previous incarnation they ran over the Kyoto streetcar network. The four-lane road in this image was largely constructed over the top of the old private way.

And if you go back far enough, Keihan once ran dual-mode cars which started out on the Hamaotsu tracks, then used Kyoto city streetcar trackage to connect with the main Keihan commuter line, where they continued onto Osaka. They had both low and high doors for the streetcar/commuter segments. Modemo makes a model of one of these cars, and while it's currently sold out they tend to be restocked periodically.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10229035

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10189229

Edited by Mudkip Orange
  • Like 1

I meant the 60ies version and there is even a picture of the station in 1960 on wikipedia:

View_of_Shibuya_circa_1960.jpg

A nice clear multi lane streetcar station with 3 through running tracks and low level platforms. Just like the tram terminal in the topic.

• Like 1

I meant the 60ies version and there is even a picture of the station in 1960 on wikipedia:

View_of_Shibuya_circa_1960.jpg

A nice clear multi lane streetcar station with 3 through running tracks and low level platforms. Just like the tram terminal in the topic.

OK, how about these?

http://24621953.at.webry.info/201109/article_3.html

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/koganeishin/12642872.html

http://tkk3450.blog76.fc2.com/blog-entry-405.html

http://macnao.blog27.fc2.com/blog-entry-3759.html

shibuya_ekimae_old_600.jpg

130301n007.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

That's it! Actually the close up photos show the actual track configruation very well. Part of it is a through station and the other is a terminus. I think it's a really nice tram station and the backdrop with the old Toyoko line platforms (like on the model you linked) is great.

kvp - I've tried to make it clear I realize my design is not prototypically Japanese.  It's partly that I don't find the tiny stub yards visually satisfying (and no one makes an N-scale traverser ;-), and also that I think the reverse loop approach will better support my operational goals.  I am a bit unhappy with the symmetrical look of the internal loop, and will see if there's anything I can do to change that.  I am now seeing this as both a small standalone layout, as well as a terminal module for a larger system.  It will also be a display for whatever trams I may acquire over time - I'm just glad I'm not doing Shinkansen ;-)  (space wise)

I love that photo of Shibuya in the 1960's - all those lines running under/through structures.  It looks like there are still a few traditional buildings left around the tram station - at the time.

railsquid - thanks for the info on the Keihan line.  Your description of the ride parallels what I was imagining.

Mudkip - I like the cars on the HS links, especially the crimson and cream one; the paint scheme reminds me of classic British coaches.  I'll have to watch for the next offering.  They remind me of a Tobu Nikko car I saw in a photo.

post-941-0-40086000-1409763276_thumb.jpg