Dumb Question about Kagayaki (Hokuriku Shinkansen)

Shinkansenrailfan

Shinkansenrailfan

Just about ALL the trains on the Tōhoku Shinkansen line are so heavily patronized that between Tokyo and Morioka, reservations are effectively mandatory. Not so sure about the less-patronized line between Morioka and Shin-Aomori, though.

North of Morioka comes a mountainous terrain. Except for places such as Hachinohe , the section is least travelled along the Tohoku Shinkansen. I've taken the Hayabusa before. I remember most passengers left at Sendai and Morioka , and the car was pretty empty.

When I traveled on a Hayabusa from Shin-Aomori it was practically empty until Morioka.

The answer to the reservation issue could be to follow the German example.  The ICE trains have a digital display above each seat showing the stations between which someone has reserved that seat, if the display is blank the seat is vacant for the whole journey.

Shinkansenrailfan

When I traveled on a Hayabusa from Shin-Aomori it was practically empty until Morioka.

The answer to the reservation issue could be to follow the German example.  The ICE trains have a digital display above each seat showing the stations between which someone has reserved that seat, if the display is blank the seat is vacant for the whole journey.

I think JR East wont really place such a system. Moreover , there are many different Hayabusa/Hayate services going to Morioka every hour. So reservations alone wont be an issue.

Guest keio6000

Sorry for the late and possibly silly (because i havent thought it through enough) question:

why are case 8, 9, 10, and 12 not available for passenger use on tsurugi shuttle services but car 11 (a green car - also with disabled access) is? simple demand where there's just not enough passengers to have it worth them spread accross 4 more cars?

Edited by keio6000

^^

Yes, it's likely a demand issue- use of door cuts allows tailoring pax space to what's needed.  The rolling stock formation is standardized as 12 cars.  Having a uniform fleet allows flexibility when service disruptions occur- e.g. a trainset used for Tsurugi services can be used in a Kagayaki service in a pinch, and all reservation holders will keep their seats.  Also, trainsets can be rotated easily between service assignments, for example, before and after scheduled overhauls.