Visiting Japan (Kansai Area) during New Year help and advice?

Thx Sea, I will stop by Kobe, 

Lurking knight, I know that Kyoto knife is really famous and plan drop by and see the quality and buy a pair for myself.

I know from my last trip 7 years ago they offer custom service, but not to what degree.

I can obtain some leaflet and ask about it while there for you.

I might have found a couple makers, but quite honestly 1 of them in sakai makes pretty much what I would use so I can just walk in and buy it off the shelf. Not so custom, but I might also contact them shortly. I'm already talking to 2 othe rmakers, one is in niigata though.. he's a bit far, but his pricing is much more attractive. I'm trying to find some other things to justify a 6 hour return trip from tokyo. lol.

Appreciate the offer, not sure if the info would make it in time. The 2 in sakai I've found might be up to a 3 month wait after I order.

Edited by lurkingknight

order a chef knife and pick it up in person? lol.

I'm researching some makers in the osaka area right now. I'm looking for a chef/kitchen knife and would love to pick it up in person next spring when I'm there. That'd be a neat story and I'd have a fine knife to cook with . Anyone have any recommendations about that?

The inner nerd in me really wants a custom knife hand forged by a smith with sword making lineage made just for me, on top of picking it up from the workshop itself. That makes for a cool story.

One night in 2011 on my way to look at hobby shops in Namba I came across a whole street full of nothing but shops selling kitchen ware and everything you could think of to set up a restaurant, I'm not sure I could find my way back there though.

I wandered through there. lol.  it was packed with just about everything. I was looking for either a taiyaki pan or a takoyaki pan/cooker. Was pretty neat. We wandered in deeper and went though a side street that was a local market, I think the owners were quite surprised to see a couple of lost looking tourists. They were quite friendly. Think that's why I like osaka so much. :P