813 Series Kyushu commuter

katoftw

post-1782-0-35621700-1408243644_thumb.jpg

See pic.

1) Adding a driver is a easy as popping off the shell, cutting a train crew driver at the waste and gluing him in?

2) when running these trains as a 6 car consist (2x 3 car sets), the engines become very noisey.  I'm guessing the are running at slight different speeds. Option is to pull apart the motor car and gut it out.  Or get a another lot of unbody parts from a non motor car and just switch the sheel when running 6 car.

3) Does anyone else think the lady in the background at the drink machine looks like she is pulling her nickers out of her bumcrack?

Edited by katoftw

Hello Mr katoftw,

Unfortunately, Kato only sells the クモハ813 underbody parts with motor installed.  To be prototypically correct you need to remove the driveshafts and isolate the motor so that it doesn't receive power, yet still provide power to the head and tail lights. 

Alternatively, you can replace with クハ813 underbody parts and new bogies and coupler, but the car will not look prototypically correct.  Such a pity Kato does not sell クモハ813 T.

Micro Ace have produced four versions of this model, but all have a powered クモハ813 also.

So sorry I cannot help you further.

• Like 2
Mudkip Orange

3) Does anyone else think the lady in the background at the drink machine looks like she is pulling her nickers out of her bumcrack?

That's exactly what it looks like.

Hello Mr katoftw,

Unfortunately, Kato only sells the クモハ813 underbody parts with motor installed.  To be prototypically correct you need to remove the driveshafts and isolate the motor so that it doesn't receive power, yet still provide power to the head and tail lights. 

Alternatively, you can replace with クハ813 underbody parts and new bogies and coupler, but the car will not look prototypically correct.  Such a pity Kato does not sell クモハ813 T.

Micro Ace have produced four versions of this model, but all have a powered クモハ813 also.

So sorry I cannot help you further.

Thanks for the advice.

Light aren't an issue due to the non motorized car being in the middle of the consist.  You'd turn off the lights for the centre 2 cars anyway.

I think I'll have a look around the Kato Hobby Centre in October when I'm there and see which parts I can buy.

4828-1C is the non motorized end car underbody part complete (lighting/seating/coulpers) for 1,050JPY.*

4830-1B is the motorized end car underbody part complete for 3,150JPY.*

4828-1D is the non geared TR401K bogies complete 2 pack for 473JPY.*

The motorised would still have to be gutted out to work as a non motorized car.  Or buy the cheaper non motorzied and be not prototypical.

* = Prices correct as of 2011 Assy sheet.

Would cost 3623JPY do build a complete underbody prototypical non motorrized car without a upper shell.  but I'll have a spare engine in the process.  Or 1523JPY but not be prototypical and not have spare motor.

Add 1890JPY is I want to add the upper shell and and just have a complete car ready to swap over if need be.  This is the more expensive no muching around option.

Well scratch that idea.  turns out only the bogies are available from Kato.  Other parts out of stock.  Can find the bogies:- http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g4828-1D/ but get the "please contact us" message when puting in the other part numbers.

Only seems to be under floor parts for the middle car and Fukuhoku Yutaka Line shells left.

Prices haven't seems to have gone up much in 3 years.  Doesn't really matter as parts aren't available.

Had a look on Yahoo to see if any cheap used ones were available, cheapest was 8,500 yen.  Which isn't far off new price.

Edited by katoftw

attachicon.gifs1_813kei_m_3_ori.jpg

2) when running these trains as a 6 car consist (2x 3 car sets), the engines become very noisey.  I'm guessing the are running at slight different speeds. Option is to pull apart the motor car and gut it out.  Or get a another lot of unbody parts from a non motor car and just switch the sheel when running 6 car.

About point 2, if you use DCC you can just use the two motor car as a consist, or you can use the same DCC address and fine tune the decoders so that motors goes at the same speed

• Like 1