Small Randen inspired tram layout

Ken Ford

The track showed up a few weeks ago, but we were on a well-deserved vacation last week.  I finally managed to open the box last night and test the trackplan this morning.  I think the S124 version will work OK, but I'm going to try S186 for the station loop next - S124 works for single trams but requires pinpoint spotting of two car trains:

post-742-0-55667000-1410961440.jpg

Total size seems like it will work out to around 36" x 20" by the time I'm done - I'm using a sheet of 1/4" birch ply for the benchwork and will add 1x2 framing underneath instead of foam.  I decided durability for travel was more important than ultimate light weight.  Of course, I might still do a minimum sized oval on foam like I showed in post 12 just for fun at some point.

post-742-0-55667000-1410961440_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Nice little show layout!

On that sized board you can even go down to 1x1 under it. The current jrm show layout has modules 1m x 20" and I just used 1x1 with a rabit joint over the ply edge and then planed stock to fit for end and two center supports. Top was 3/16" luan ply. They are light and rigid and have held put to a few years of bashing around now. The 1" front edge looks nice, just enough to frame but not too much to dominate.

We also built travel boxes (we call them coffins as they look like small coffins!) out of the 3/16" luan ply with 3/16" x 1/2" strips bracing all the corners inside. They have held up really well but are very light with just a luan top. A person can easily pick one up with a full module inside easily and just small enough to fit in the backseat of even a compact car.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Jeff, I'll play around with different sizes to see what works best. I want to be sure I leave enough scenic space before I start making sawdust.

katoftw, I did try some of the shorter pieces earlier, but adding a S64 to each of the station tracks and the backstretch seemed to be the best balance between space and compactness. I'll order some S168 pieces to replace the S124s so I can do the same thing with fewer track joints.

Now I'm having fun looking at buildings for this! I think the next step will be to mock up the roads so I can see what structures I will need.

Ken - you may not want to do this for proto allegiance reasons, but you could get more station room by making the turnout at the lower left a left hand instead of right.

Making the turnout on the right a left instead of a right would give you even more room.

Instead of having the track straighten after the end curves and then the turnout, have the turnout be a continuation of the end curve.

You might need to shift the orientation of the oval to get it to fit at the bottom.

Charles, sorry I missed your post!

I want to stick with the switch configuration as it is - to me it's one of the signature elements of the Randen branch.  Trains always decelerate into the station on the straight and leave through the spring switch at low speed.

No problem - you expressed concern that it was getting too big at 1100mm x 500mm, so I was just trying to save you some space.

A couple of things - if you ever decide to do a foam-based layout, I've been doing a lot of research on module bases and found multiple recommendations to secure it on top of a thin wood layer to keep the foam from "booming".  Use something with some flex to it, such as a caulking compound, as white glue dries hard and will transmit sound.  For anyone laying ballast, I found similar advice to use matte medium instead of the traditional white glue for the same reason.

>  "I want to stick with the switch configuration as it is - to me it's one of the signature elements of the Randen branch.  Trains always decelerate into the station on the straight and leave through the spring switch at low speed."

I was looking at the Kitano branch today, and that isn't really the case. 

Of the 7 stations (excluding the branch end-points), Ryoanji is the only one with this layout.

Omuroninnaji and Tojiin use paired left-right switches.

Utano and Myoshinji have single track stations.

There is continuous double track between Tokiwa and Narutaki.