Noob questions

railsquid

Ahah! Finally Tam Tam website is up:

http://www.hs-tamtam.jp/modules/tinyd2/index.php?id=1

List of shops are here. It has TONS of other hobbies toys apart from Tetsudo, so highly worth to take a look.

Someone made a video of the Akihabara shop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdfv4q20D00

He's a Gundam fan, so he didn't focus much on Tetsudo, but he did visit the Tetsudo level and glance through. I was drooling at the models at the back!

I'll be going in October.

But for you, take the Toei Subway Oedo Line and get off at station number E33.  Get a daily pass for 700 yen if you like.

I might actually cycle there, it's a bit further from where I am now but doable. :blob3:

Come to think of it, if memory serves correctly the announcement played at that station (Ochiai-Minami-Nagasaki, the station numbers never mean anything to me) mentions something about 模型鉄道 (model railways).

Edited by railsquid

I think it better if you select one or two stores that you feel comfortable with and stick with them.  I can count on my left hand, the number of stores I've purchased from ... and I have around ¥4,000,000 worth of models.  Staying with the same few stores is worthwhile in ensuring you get the best service and don't miss out on limited edition items, etc.

I'm probably not going to go quite that crazy yet (famous last words). Mind you I'm quite surprised how relatively inexpensive this stuff is (famous last words, but I used to live in Germany and every now and again I'd stare at a case full of Maerklin stuff in shock and awe). I'll check out the Kato Hobby Center for inspiration, and take another look at some of the places in Shinjuku and Akihabara to get a feel for what's where.

In the meantime I think I've figured out how I can fit a loop in (and a small branch line which will weave around/below the monitors on my desk). The Shinkansen will have to slum it with the normal trains though, and we're talking four cars max.

It's still a bit tricky to get a sense of scale, my mind is still thinking in HO/OO terms.

Just watch out that shinkansen usually need much larger radiuses than normal trains. If you want really cheap trains, then buying used ones is a good option or if you want new ones, you can try the tomytec range of build it yourself trains, houses and other accessories. Scale wise, you should think at half the length, fourth the area and eight the volume.

squid,

might also think modular as well. something you can set up quickly and then store on some shelves for display. there is ttrak standard that there are clubs in japan doing or roll your own sectional layout you just break into pieces.

here is a fun little one that one of the forum members did based on a very simple setup a chap in japan published with very easy module construction like sushi trays/plates

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

the other big difference in N over HO is even at half the size you end up getting a lot more in an eye full than you do with HO and it can with some scenes seem like there is a lot more there even with the scale change. once you get a few buildings and some track and start playing with it i think you will start to get the feel of it fast! quite addictive.

also you are spot on the japanese stuff is very high bang for the buck/yen compared to almost everything else in n scale (and even other scales). tomytec stuff is still pretty good deal (it use to be an absolute steal, but alas prices have gone up some). the tomytec trains are also great ways to start a cheap collection for the desk then slowly add the details and power them up. still come up cheaper than buying the kato/tomix/microace/greenmax premade sets.

living in tokyo also gives you the great advantage of lurking hobby shops for some good used deals or getting some of the more localized odd bits that come from very small garage producers and may only show up in a few shops for sale. E6 is right though finding a shop or two (physical or online) that you like, trust and think have good service and prices is good to use for your mainline larger purchases as the relationship really helps to get what you want, special stuff and deal with any problems. luckily there are a number of excellent choices for this!

cheers

jeff

Just watch out that shinkansen usually need much larger radiuses than normal trains. If you want really cheap trains, then buying used ones is a good option or if you want new ones, you can try the tomytec range of build it yourself trains, houses and other accessories.

Money, luckily, is not the constraining factor, and at these prices I'm happy enough to experiment. I just ordered the Kato 0-kei 4 car "50th anniversary" edition (not sure how special it is really but it will do me fine) and next step will be some curved track to experiment with. From the Kato catalogue it looks like a 40cm-ish radius will be fine, if not ideal.

might also think modular as well. something you can set up quickly and then store on some shelves for display. there is ttrak standard that there are clubs in japan doing or roll your own sectional layout you just break into pieces.

here is a fun little one that one of the forum members did based on a very simple setup a chap in japan published with very easy module construction like sushi trays/plates

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

Interesting idea, it might make sense for at least part of what I have in mind, which is to start off small and integrate the bits into a larger layout. I finally dug the tape measure out and discovered that I can easily fit 180x90 into a corner of the room without it being "in the way", which looks like a pretty reasonable size (and if I get creative I could add something like a 90x30cm extension down one wall).

the other big difference in N over HO is even at half the size you end up getting a lot more in an eye full than you do with HO and it can with some scenes seem like there is a lot more there even with the scale change. once you get a few buildings and some track and start playing with it i think you will start to get the feel of it fast! quite addictive.

Yes, addictive indeed. I think part of the problem I had with HO/OO is it was too big to be fun in the space I had available (which was less than I have now).

also you are spot on the japanese stuff is very high bang for the buck/yen compared to almost everything else in n scale (and even other scales). tomytec stuff is still pretty good deal (it use to be an absolute steal, but alas prices have gone up some). the tomytec trains are also great ways to start a cheap collection for the desk then slowly add the details and power them up. still come up cheaper than buying the kato/tomix/microace/greenmax premade sets.

I thought the Tomytec stuff looked a bit "cheap"... I'll have another look now I'm getting a bit more orientated. Thanks for all the thoughts!

I just ordered the Kato 0-kei 4 car "50th anniversary" edition (not sure how special it is really but it will do me fine)

Good heavens, I ordered it online at Yodobashi camera at about 4:30pm yesterday and it's just arrived (11am).

• Like 1

If you want to get into modules, check out the T-Trak group in Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/287301574782550/ I have recently joined the network, but have yet to make a module to join in at meetings. It's a fun thing to do and you can attach your own theme to your module. If it's good and interesting enough, you might even generate some interest from magazines! ;)

I just ordered the Kato 0-kei 4 car "50th anniversary" edition (not sure how special it is really but it will do me fine) and next step will be some curved track to experiment with. From the Kato catalogue it looks like a 40cm-ish radius will be fine, if not ideal.

The instructions in the package say "at least 31.5 cm" As I'm not planning on high-speed running and should end up with 90cm to play with, I think this might just work.

If you want to get into modules, check out the T-Trak group in Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/287301574782550/ I have recently joined the network, but have yet to make a module to join in at meetings. It's a fun thing to do and you can attach your own theme to your module. If it's good and interesting enough, you might even generate some interest from magazines! ;)

Hmm, don't think I'll be going quite that advanced yet, but it sounds like a nice retirement hobby ;).

I'm going to start off with something modular-ish on the free desk I have at the moment, then transfer it to the fixed board when I get around to making space for it (will need to get rid of a bookcase and put in some wall-mounted shelves). Like I said above, 1800mm x 900mm is very doable, which corresponds to 9' x 6' in HO/OO terms, which is the kind of dimensions I used to dream of (grew up with 6' x 4').

you can also think sectional if you want larger and cant keep it up all the time. design a layout and then chop it up into smaller pieces. this way you are not stuck with having to keep track interfaces at the same on all the modules, just let them fall where they need to. sometimes need to fiddle a little to get things to cleanly break up well, but its always another option than doing one big fixed board or a modular setup that has more limited layout design. other advantage over a larger single layout in a small space is that you can easily work on one section at a time on a smaller table top.

cheers

jeff

The instructions in the package say "at least 31.5 cm" As I'm not planning on high-speed running and should end up with 90cm to play with, I think this might just work.

Yup R315 curves are the minimum for Kato Shinkansens.  Which including roadbed width and a 90 degree cruve, then that is 665mm wide.  Well within your 900mm.  You can run Shinkansens at about 75% power, (about 1-2 pm on the Kato controller).

And go a little faster if you are using R348 or R381 curves.

you can also think sectional if you want larger and cant keep it up all the time. design a layout and then chop it up into smaller pieces. this way you are not stuck with having to keep track interfaces at the same on all the modules, just let them fall where they need to. sometimes need to fiddle a little to get things to cleanly break up well, but its always another option than doing one big fixed board or a modular setup that has more limited layout design. other advantage over a larger single layout in a small space is that you can easily work on one section at a time on a smaller table top.

It's definitely going to be able to stay in position, but I'm thinking about something like 3 of these 600mm x 900mm boards from Kato rather than one monolithic one, starting off with two then inserting a third in the middle.

• Like 1

Yup R315 curves are the minimum for Kato Shinkansens.  Which including roadbed width and a 90 degree cruve, then that is 665mm wide.  Well within your 900mm.  You can run Shinkansens at about 75% power, (about 1-2 pm on the Kato controller).

And go a little faster if you are using R348 or R381 curves.

Thanks for the info. I'm happy for things to trundle along so not to worried about the speed.

It's definitely going to be able to stay in position, but I'm thinking about something like 3 of these 600mm x 900mm boards from Kato rather than one monolithic one, starting off with two then inserting a third in the middle.

you are gonna need 3 of those just to start off with if you wanna use R315 curves.

For example, the KAto supplied picture would be using R282 curse as they look to be 5mm from the edge.  25mm roadbed width + 282mm + 282mm = 589.

Unless of course you you turn the 600x900 by 90 degrees, but you wont have many straight sections in it.

The 300x600/900/1200 and corners module thingos look the goods.  Similar to T-Trak and you can add on extra modules later to extend you layout.  But probably wont work as it makes your layout 1200 wide.

Edited by katoftw

Hmm, don't think I'll be going quite that advanced yet, but it sounds like a nice retirement hobby ;).

Retirement? I'm only 29 xD

• Like 1

Yep cameras work pretty well. We have used them for years now on the club show layout and they are a big hit. Lets you play train driver. Some of the shops and museum layouts in japan have the camera cars and a big tomix cab controller which mimics a real train console in front of a big screen with the live view to drive the train from the model train driver's pov. Even businesses with mobile layouts with these cabs you can rent for your next birthday party!

The live RF transmitting ones will have some hiccups in the signal now and then but luckily there are some newer models out made for RC stuff that is more powerful and higher frequency than the older models and looks like better signal. The tomix system gives better signal as they send it thru the tracks, but you will need a tomix controller with their constant lighting system in it to power the camera tomix only thing)

If you want pretty shots then use the little spy recording cameras and you can get some pretty nice stuff. Spending more can get you tiny HD recording cameras now!

Tis cool to be able to have all these toys to experiment and play with relatively cheaply.

Cheers

Jeff

There you can find Hobby Land Pochi, which has more reasonably priced 2nd hand stuff. It's good to buy 2nd hand before getting more seriously into the hobby IMO.

I took a look there earlier today (yay for flexible working hours), they do seem to have a lot of reasonably new 2nd hand stock, but hardly anything in the way of accessories (went to Yodobashi Camera for those). I will no doubt go back when I have a better idea of what I want and some actual running space.

Anyway got enough track and points for some basic end-to-end desktop running :)