Harumi Cement

velotrain

Toni - I was planning on numbering them, but not sure what else.  Any ideas on finding that color paint?  I am bothered by how visible the seams are on the drum on some of the trucks.  However, I'm generally impressed with them.

As far as the driver customization, I'm very familiar with that in India and nearby countries, but didn't realize it was done in Japan.  Could you give me some search terms (English or Japanese) to hunt for photos of it?  I did find this photo, and noticed the steps and railings in the back - I don't suppose anyone makes aftermarket photo etch for N-scale trucks, as is done in the military modeling market.

The licence plates on trucks are usually dark green with white lettering. It'd be best to make them on the computer and print them out. GreenMax occasionally also has these kind of licence plates on their sticker/transfer sheets that come with building kits.

Customisation is usually very light nowadays. I have found some picture with the same truck series (Mitusbishi Fusō The Great), but every time different modifications. Please ignore the differences in body, but focus on the work on the cab.

Base model:

http://jikotrading.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/950/FV415J001.jpg

With modifications:

- http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-54-db/hero19920515/folder/1186724/54/31527254/img_1?1268481992

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-54-db/hero19920515/folder/1186724/02/33245602/img_3?1285771905

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-af-d9/sedorikku430_import_boy/folder/364371/37/7784937/img_0

http://jikotrading.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/680/FV410TZ001.jpg

http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPhoto/226123/p2.jpg?ct=94d7ef4eaa50

- http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-4b-c4/ootuka1030/folder/1775998/52/46315352/img_0?1226129911

http://auto-rex.net/uploads/truck/00/00/01/09/69/0000010969.af834d8fc1e40cde47a96c97b7ce40749b805650.480x360.jpg

As you can see, modifications can range from very light to very heavy, but not as excessive (and dangerous) as in other asian countries. Yes, there used to be a 'decoration truck' (dekotora, デコトラ) or 'art truck' (ātotora, アートトラ) culture in the nineties, but this has slowly died off. If you search for these terms, be prepared for a whole new world in Japanese trucking. ;)

> i have to say that dock crane looks pretty good.

Thanks, but I'm not satisfied with it, mostly because it just doesn't look massive enough for this scene.  When I get the Kibri HO articulated crane, I'll assess if I think that boom will for for N scale.  If I stay with the B-mann crane, I'll attach the wagon chassis to the bottom of it to bulk it up, and maybe raise the height of the tower some.

> did you end up on a decision on the bridge and what to use for it?

The bridge module is a low priority, partly because two items I want (both from Germany) are currently out of production.  I do have the Faller pseudo-arch bridge (see post #6).  Originally I thought I could accept it, but I'm now thinking that I might try to extend the arch over the flat spot at the top.  I'll also get the Kibri arch bridge when available, and evaluate it for bashing.  It has two arched chords, and I would cut off the top one and also remove every other upright member, as well as all of the vertical ones.  Just writing that makes it sound like a lot of work.  I may try to finish the cement plant module before I really start work on the bridge module.

I must be really tired.

>  I would cut off the top one and also remove every other upright member, as well as all of the vertical ones. 

Make that all of the - diagonal ones.

Thanks for all the links Toni.

It certainly looks very impressive, but:

1)  I think I already have my hands full with plenty of work to finish this project

2)  In the (streetview) photos I've seen of the Harumi Cement trucks, I don't spot any indication of customization.

Perhaps the company isn't very flexible, and/or does not permanently assign trucks to prevent this.

post-941-0-66247800-1409382806_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-49112700-1409382845_thumb.jpg

==>>  Any idea what the guy standing on the wall is doing in the second photo?  At first I thought he might be recording truck #'s and departure time, but it looks like he's holding some sort of sign - perhaps "drive safely" ?

For me it looks like he's just reparing the sign. (at least it appears to be permanently suspended and powered so it can be light up) Unfortunately i can't read the text, but perhaps someone here could.

post-1969-0-02974500-1409395615_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For me it looks like he's just reparing the sign. (at least it appears to be permanently suspended and powered so it can be light up) Unfortunately i can't read the text, but perhaps someone here could.

harumi.jpg

It says 出庫します (Shukko shimasu), which means "departing from depot". The light above it probably flashes when a truck departs.

Interesting!

I'm not really sure, but I think it's somewhere along the line: "Vehicle exiting'. I think it's a warning sign, since there is a beacon light on the top. The sign will light up with the warning beacon to warn others when the cement truck is exiting the plant?

Haha ~ a second difference between Toni's post and mine, but we are along the same line! Cheers!

By the way, I think bus interchanges have these too... Heavy vehicles exiting into the main roads are dangerous, and these signs help other motorist to give way and allow them to exit safely...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

I was just seeing him from behind his right shoulder, and hadn't made the connection to the pole and warning light.

In fact, I didn't know where folks were seeing the sign text, until I went back to street view.

Thanks for the explanation guys.

post-941-0-30078100-1409416443_thumb.jpg

You might be able to make your own bridge anyway. i can`t find anything suitable for what i want in my future layout.

I was planning on making one.

I don't know what kind of bridge you're looking for, but it isn't important enough to me to scratchbuild one for the Harumi bridge.  

However, I might build a cable-stayed bridge for the tram line that will be adjacent to it.

Have you seen the German Hack bridges?  Quite nice-looking photo etch products.

yeah i have seen them they are good,

I want to do something like the inuyama bridge when it had road and train traffic.

I did think about getting some available and splitting to make wider but ... i think it can look much better with the bridge self made. and using tomytec bus road plates and tram rail for that portion. with some weathering applied.

I had a bashing weekend.

Unsatisfied with the crane, I chopped up the chassis that it was originally mounted on, and glued it underneath to give it more bulk.  I also discovered that B-mann gives you a pseudo-tool that you can insert through either of the first two windows to adjust the height of the hoist and/or the boom.  I raised the boom to give it more height. 

post-941-0-21273400-1409554226_thumb.png

post-941-0-02128900-1409554245_thumb.jpg

I have to say this set is a real bargain for ~ $20.  I now have a pair of very free-rolling three axle trucks.  Maybe I'll build a depressed-center flatcar delivering a new transformer to the substation.  The boom car might find use in a work train behind the shops.

I decided I didn't want to disassemble that section of the stairs where I foolishly placed a shim in the wrong place, so resolved the issue by cutting off the top railing at the problem area, and bending the middle one up a bit to become the new top railing.

post-941-0-95388100-1409554259_thumb.jpg

I thought about building the Faller clamshell and mounting it, but was restrained by two thoughts.  If I think the Kibri  articulated crane boom will work for N-scale when I get it, the Faller-Bachmann crane will be consigned to general port cargo duty, where the hook will be more suitable.  Also, although there are multiple threads for the boom assembly, there is only one for the hook, and the clamshell requires two minimum.  Due to past negative experiences, I won't mess with the lines of a pre-built and threaded crane.

Pumped from the crane bash, I decided to make a "Proof of Concept" experiment with the Faller bridge.  I still plan to butcher the double-chord Kibri bridge when it arrives, but wanted to see if I could transform the Faller bridge from a partial to full arch.

I measured the old Harumi RR bridge from satellite view.  It's about 185', and the Faller kit is just under a foot long, so it's about 3" short.  The two approach spans are each about the same distance.

It took a lot of delicate razor saw work and fiddly fitting, but the major work is complete.  I haven't done any putty or finishing work yet, so it's very much a WIP (Work in Progress).  However, I think it'll do if the Kibri bridge doesn't pan out.

post-941-0-24156000-1409554276_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-99300600-1409554290_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-27623400-1409554308_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-28438800-1409554322_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure yet if I'll use the Faller crossing pieces for the top of the bridge, or create my own using Central Valley lattice components - which is the more likely outcome.

post-941-0-62005100-1409554353_thumb.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll often decide that I can accept something that's less than ideal, but once I get into a project and spend time on something I'll start to want to improve the quality of components that I was initially OK with. 

I thought I would be OK with the cheap Model Power plate girder bridges once they were painted.  One issue is that they're slightly warped, so that the tops of the sides are flared out somewhat.  Also, this photo of the interior of the bridge has me considering Cevtral Valley parts that could replicate it.  However, I'm sure their measurements don't match the span lengths on this bridge.  TBD

post-941-0-57211600-1409554369_thumb.jpg

I realized I hadn't worked on the aggregate ship for several weeks, so decided to replace the cereal box mock-up of the hold.

I got a little carried away, and the gravel bin is so tall that the ship would probably sink if it was ever filled up all the way.

I put some plastic putty on, that I haven't finished cleaning up yet.  The hold will eventually be sprayed black.

post-941-0-85269300-1409635813_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-77136500-1409635828_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-45977700-1409635801_thumb.jpg

I've been tacking together the Walther's kits, and did the first mock-up tonight.

post-941-0-54663800-1409723811_thumb.jpg

My initial reaction is that I've got a lot of space to fill.  I realize I haven't created a lot of the elements yet.

I'm now thinking that instead of a 4' long module, it might end up more like 30" x 30".

I'm also thinking that I'll try to place the various elements in roughly their proto locations, as I think I like that arrangement better.

post-941-0-07447300-1409723704_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-51300500-1409723830_thumb.jpg

You work exceptionally fast. Also you've made some nice looking models. Just one question: What do you plan to run on the layout? Because most Kato freight stuff hates the Tomix mini turnouts. Tomix freight cars and smaller locomotives are ok.

Jeff - thanks much, but there is still a huge amount to do, but getting to this point helps me visualize the final goal; although, to some extent I've been visualizing it ever since I saw the first photos.  I'll make you the "godfather" of the module, as your post of a year+ ago planted the seed.  I'm grateful that I haven't - so far at least - been distracted by something else.  Best of luck with your current venture.

kvp - Actually, I've always thought I work slowly ;-)  I'm retired and single, so can allocate as much time to it as I want to.  Also, I do have A.D.D., and think I was intentionally pushing myself to get to this stage, in the hopes that it would continue my enthusiasm for the project long term.  

I'm getting a DD13 from Nariichi, and he's tested it on 140 curves - although that was without anything coupled to it, and perhaps not through a turnout.  Despite the color of the cement trucks ;-) , I'd like to backdate the scene - and my whole freight line.  I'm increasingly thinking that I'll use Harumi Island as a general theme.  I was planning on only using 2-axle cars, although perhaps short cars with bogies will take the sharp curves better - any thoughts?  If I have to go all Tomix, I can live with that.

There will also be a 2-track tram line, offset from the freight line by about as much as the new road bridges are from the Harumi RR bridge.  It may be at a higher elevation than the freight line on this module, as it will likely be coming off a higher bridge.

Well - I think I've decided this is going to need to be a transverse module.  The 2' width means I'll have to shrink the already small office-support area and lose the access road, which are no great loss.  On the plus side I'll be able to portray the conveyor system in the proto orientation and at close to full (scale) size.  I will have a lot of space to fill across from the river at the back, so might consider adding those two large white silos of unknown function.

post-941-0-02045400-1409781618_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-57790200-1409781636_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-04942400-1409781658_thumb.jpg

Wow a modular godfather! Everyone will have to respect me or they will get a custom pair of cement boots from Harumi cement and sleep wid da fishes!

Glad it sparked this for you was what I was hoping for when I spotted it as it was something I wanted to do but knew it would be off in the future. I grew up about on a research ship my father was captain of and the next doc down had a cement plant like this and cement barges and tugs, that's why it initially caught my eye. Also just after it was a rail elevator/lift bridge and the a car draw bridge. Lots of cement trucks there I would ride my bike down to watch load, clean, etc and the conveyor belts going every which way and towers. There was a big repair garage for the trucks but that was another half mile down the road, not directly connected to the plant.

A thought, you could also have a couple of the tomytec barges rafted up and a tomytec tug! Sand and gravel barges.

Mocking up like you are doing is great way to get creative, I did may years of exhibit model building like this and always amazing how we could take great ideas and make them sooo much better. CAD just does not do it with the same gusto!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I received the Kibri articulated crane today, and opened the box with great anticipation.  I was hoping that I could somehow graft the boom assembly onto an N scale cab and base.  I quickly realized that I would need to save it for an HO scale Harumi Cement . . .  but wait - that would be the size of a ping pong table.

After brief consideration of trying to build an articulated crane in N, I accepted that I would simply need to use a less impressive crane for my module than on the proto.

post-941-0-21297600-1409973446_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-83532700-1409973471_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-33954900-1409973488_thumb.jpg

No, but I have acquired some more kits for the admin buildings, and I see that Tomytec is coming out with some small vertical tanks that should be useful.

I've been engaged with another activity, but will have some time from now until the end of January.

I'm working on a tram conversion project, partly inspired by your frustration with the 5-segment green monster - I'm going for seven ;-)

Charles

Harumi RR Bridge update

At the end of last August I wrote, "The bridge module is a low priority, partly because two items I want (both from Germany) are currently out of production." 

However, it now looks like I may complete the Harumi RR Bridge module before the Harumi Cement module.  I got major shipments from Germany and Japan today.

Although I was fairly satisfied with the bashed Faller bridge, I was still curious about bashing the Kibri #37669 bridge - which is the one I suggested to tossedman for the very similar bridge to the east of Ochanomizu Station, on his proposed layout.

The bridge module will be 4' by maybe 15", while the cement plant will require a 30" or perhaps even 3' deep module.  I'm standardizing on 4' for length, as two modules will fit on a standard 30" X 8' "convention" folding table.  This is what they use at the East Penn traction meet, which I'm planning/hoping to bring two modules to in two months - not these, BTW.  I'm now thinking I will have a small freight yard module, perhaps with an industry at the back, on the other side of the bridge module from the cement plant.

Anyway, I was waiting for the Vollmer viaduct to be back in production, as the span design is so close to that of the approach spans on either side of the Hamuri truss bridge.  Of course, it will need to be painted to look like concrete instead of steel.

gallery_941_135_110428.jpg

gallery_941_135_13007.jpg

I mentioned previously that sometimes I'll be initially satisfied with one solution to a problem, but later decide I want something better, and this has happened with the truss span.  At first I thought I could live with the flat-topped Faller truss, but then bashed it to round the top.  All along I've considered bashing the Kibri bridge, by removing the upper chord and every other vertical stay.

However, I've now realized that I want to go even further.  I noticed that the Kibri side pieces match up very nicely with the spacing on the Central Valley bottom frame truss - which is virtually identical to that on the proto bridge.

gallery_941_135_67903.jpg

gallery_941_135_27164.jpg

gallery_941_135_183398.jpg

The proto bridge has the extra rail that is common on bridges, but the ties appear to be at normal spacing, while in the U.S. bridge ties are spaced at roughly double the norm.  The bottom chord of the Kibri bridge has almost identical curvature to my modified Faller, but will be about 1.5" shorter.  I'll make a final decision after I remove the redundant styrene.

I must say that I am reluctant to cover up that very nice lattice work on the edges with the plate girder sides, so will likely take them off with a razor saw.  They will be useful for a future project - such as the top cross-pieces on the Inuyama bridge.

gallery_941_135_71935.jpg

I was initially confused by the bottom sprue in the Kibri box, but then realized they provide parts to build either a one-track or two-track bridge!  One can only wish that other manufacturers might follow this innovative example.

gallery_941_135_197462.jpg

There will be a tram line bridge adjacent to the Harumi bridge, but I might build the module frame and work on the RR bridge before designing it.  I had been thinking cable stay for the tram bridge, and will likely use the yard and cement modules to raise the level of the tram tracks, such that the tram bridge has roughly the same height relationship to the Harumi bridge as the proto road bridges do.  Trams should be able to handle the vertical undulation.

gallery_941_135_65466.jpg

I also have four more cement trucks on the way from H.S.  Let me know if you'd like to bid on the four dump trucks that come with them.  It turned out the company (TrainCat) who made the really nice photo etch conveyors is not currently in business, which has been a major hold-up on the cement plant module - after months of no response from them, PayPal returned my money.

Note for Jeff - The Himiko water bus kit also arrived today.

==>>  If I paint it, will you build a Hobie Cat?

I'll provide photo evidence in advance  ;-)