Harumi Cement

velotrain

This started as a discussion in the "cool port scene" topic on the Scenery forum.

I've decided to make it a project for myself.  It is mostly a research project at present, although I've done a lot of design thinking and have started material acquisition.  However, my modeling career is littered with unfinished projects, so no guarantees.

I initially planned to build some tram modules - not to any formal standard, and have always liked industrial landscapes, so was thinking of adding a small freight operation even before I saw the port scene post.  This would mostly use catenary, but perhaps a small diesel in situations where it could be difficult/dangerous to erect overhead wires.

I've created a Flickr album containing prototype photos here:

http://tinyurl.com/pgw7mjh

There are also some Google links in the original thread.  My thanks to Jeff for posting this about a year ago - I'm new here.

When I saw the images in the initial post, I had no idea that the facility had such an extensive recent past.  The earliest photo in the album - the B&W image looking through the Harumi RR bridge, doesn't show anything that still exists - with the exception of the bridge itself.  I don't know what year particular things happened, and don't even care, but it looks like the new crane and processing facility were built, and then the old plant was torn down.

I've been learning about the cement / concrete industry, and trying to guess at the processing at Harumi.  I'm fairly certain that the ship brings in gravel.  I had guessed that the truck ramp was for sand, but now think it's for "back-up" truckloads of gravel - perhaps if the supply is low and the ship isn't due for some time. 

The 2nd and 3rd links (satellite view) in the initial post indicate that the ship now has a serious crawler crane permanently parked on the foredeck - probably for loading at small ports without their own crane.  Street-view images show it swung out of the way of the dock crane for unloading.  There is a bin on the water side of the crane that drops to the conveyor.  I get inconsistent results with the above links, but selecting Google Maps Classic will get you an oblique view with much more detail.  I also note that the image is much sharper in Classic mode.

I don't know how the other ingredients - sand and cement, are brought onto the property.  I'm planning to bring in the sand, and possibly/likely the cement, by rail.

A major issue is deciding just how much, and to what level of detail, to include in the scene.  I'll be using selective compression, and trying to capture the general look and feel, as opposed to anything resembling an accurate depiction of the prototype.  This would be in N scale, so a limited choice of supplies - such as nothing approaching an articulated crane, also impacts the design process.  My intent is to "kit-bash" commercial styrene kits for the structures and conveyors.

Another concern is orientation.  It seems most logical to place the rail access next to the main storage building, but if that is in "front", it will block the view of everything else.  I tend to like a layout height of at least 48".  If I rotate it, so the "main line" is in the back, I would want to bring the rail access into view.  Maybe I need to build the siding on pilings in the canal  ;-)  I do intend to include a similar bridge - most likely of European lineage. 

This is definitely a long-term project, with a planned extended design phase.  I don't want it to drag me down, but I wonder just how much I'm willing to simplify certain aspects.  My basic thought is to source potential components and move them around until they satisfy me.

Although not connected to the cement plant, here are a couple of related links:

Harumi RR:  http://tinyurl.com/leorbfq

Harumi RR bridge:  http://tinyurl.com/ongjc75

Charles

• Like 1

Interesting project. Keep us up to date!

However, I'd go for fully dieselised operations in the loading area. A bit further on, the wagons could be transferred to electric locomotives for long distance transport. That could probably make up for some interesting switching.

Next to that, you can always decide upon adding an autonomous tram operation on the side. The workers also need some form of transport, don't you think? It will add some extra liveliness to the layout.

Thanks for the feedback Toni.

The only rail ops here will be unloading,as the outgoing product is the concrete in the trucks.

I've been looking at lots of proto photos, noting diesels often doing industrial work under wires.

One thing I'm struggling with is whether the "main" here will be single or double track.  I do plan on tram operation, which double would help with, but I'm hesitant to build a two-track arch bridge.  One possible solution is to have a newer bridge alongside it.

Another issue is that the freight engine doesn't have a tram's excuse to continue to the end of the line after dropping a wagon, so I'll likely need to include a crossover and potentially more complex wiring.  In some ways single track for this line would be easier.

interesting bridge.  seems easy enough to do.  use a kato Single Truss Red Bridge (not prototypical being square ) and use viaduct pieces with green flock glued onto it. 

or if using tomix track, then a similar truss bridge or a Double Track Curved-Chord Truss Bridge (shape correct but double line) and viaduct pieces with green flock.

it is an interesting layout.  please keep us posted on advancements.

Edited by katoftw

Interesting idea. Personally i think for the tram operation, you could go with a single line and run the tram on the loop when the diesel is on the siding with the cars. That would require a hidden storage siding for the freight train somewhere in the back behind the backdrop where the tram loops. The service siding could logically go across the loading area between the building and the canal. If the canal (and the whole layout) is rotated 20-40 degrees then you will have a river running from the front left to the back right, the bridge coming across it. Two possible tram stops (one on each side) and would need two turnouts. One for the visible siding branching off 90 degrees from the main and going between the building and the dock so the dock crane could reach both. And the other one for the hidden siding in the back. If you power it from the front, then the turnouts could be used to select the freight train shuttling back and forth on half of the loop and the two sidings and the tram. 

post-1969-0-65753300-1407581576_thumb.png

Of course, this idea might be too simple or not really prototypical, because in reality the tram lines run north west of this area and the line was (afaik) diesel freight only and if it was connected to the current cement plant then probably from the other side.

katoftw - I'm planning on using the Faller 222582, as for me it comes closest to having the feel of the original.  The Kato is all wrong, and the Tomix is more interesting, but lacks the grace of the prototype.  I might consider it for a 2 track tram line.

I may cut out the diagonal trusses - I'll decide when I get it.  I'm also planning to bring the top bracing down lower on the ends, as on the proto.  The bottom of the sides bothers me, so I'll likely replace that with the sides from a plate girder bridge.

I'm not understanding what you're suggesting with the green flock?

Unless it's so little used that it's growing moss?

kvp - I have a new idea, based on proto practice.  At least here in the states, when an urban transit line uses an existing railroad ROW, there will often be a secondary single track freight line (in poor repair) running next to it to serve any remaining customers.  This will allow the tram line to run independently, while I am free to control the freight line.  The tram lines won't have automated operation - except perhaps a Miniatronics for station stops, but there will be unattended operation, using turnouts and the spring / slip action to control the routes.

I like the idea of rotating it a little so the track isn't always parallel to the edge.  The dock crane will have no connection to the rail access.  Wagons will bring in sand and cement components, and these will be taken into the large main storage building, which I imagine has internal silos.  There may not be a tram stop on this module, but I would like to eventually have other industrial modules.  The tram line may end up being closer to a light railway, perhaps similar to the Tsurumi, running along the water in some sections.

Of course, this idea might be too simple or not really prototypical, because in reality the tram lines run north west of this area and the line was (afaik) diesel freight only and if it was connected to the current cement plant then probably from the other side.

I'm the last one to worry about it being prototypical.  If you look at the satellite view Jeff posted, you can see where the old Harumi RR curved around the back of the property.  Of course we have no way to know if there was rail access to the plant in its former configuration.  I found an old aerial shot, but it lacks sufficient detail to allow much zooming in.

I've been thinking more about Toni's suggestion and like the idea of a small and derelict yard, with a "fiddle" interchange to an electrified line through a low backboard.  A few of the yard tracks will have wire, allowing an electric shunter to make an appearance.

post-941-0-88320200-1407594169_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-85705700-1407594188_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-05392300-1407594207_thumb.jpg

Well, I had a bit of a reality check yesterday.  I printed the satellite view and scaled it out.  The Harumi facility would be about 3' square in N scale, including the ship but no train tracks.  The ship is 16" long, which is largely what creates the depth, along with the conveyors.  My first thought was to rotate the pier 90 degrees so the ship would be parallel with the track, as they are the principal linear elements.  I decided I didn't like that, so am now considering rotating the orientation of the conveyors, while leaving everything else pretty much in place.  I could live with a 2' X 4' module a lot easier than a 3' square one. 

I've had 30" X 4' HO modules, but they were solid wood and weigh at least 40 pounds - without the bolt-in legs.  I'm undecided what the N-scale modules will be built of, but they will definitely be much lighter.  Since I prefer a higher viewing perspective than the standard 30" table height, I'm considering a reasonably sturdy wood frame towards the center of the module, that I'd be able to attach ~18" legs to.  Also under consideration is a means of providing stability, such as holes in the legs to route narrow nylon tie-down straps through.  I asked East Penn about their tables, and was told they're 8' X 30".  If needed, I could get away with 3' deep, or even wider modules, using the legs and tie-down system.

I've been starting to wonder if there's a rock crusher in the aggregate storage building.  This was triggered by noticing that that are four "discharge chutes" on the canal side of the building, leading to the conveyor - see attached photo.  I couldn't understand why they didn't internally route all of the silos to a single location.  I began to wonder if there are multiple exit points for varying types of material.  Just as there are many formulas of "cement" based on the project requirements, there may be a need for varying sizes of stone in the concrete.  Then again - there may be a much simpler reason for the four exit chutes.

I started work on the Shell Welder.  The same attached photo makes it obvious that the Takao Maru No. 1 is a very chunky ship, with a broad, rounded bow.  It's 154' long, and 36' wide.  The Shell Welder is 171' long by 30' wide, and quite different in general shape; model photo attached, and I found plenty of others on the web.  In 1:150 scale, the length difference amounts to only 1.25", but it looks like much more due to the narrower beam.  The cabin area is also longer on the kit, leaving less room for a cargo hold. 

I was thinking about removing 2-3" in the middle of the ship.  However, even though the width is constant there, I noticed that the side rail is on a slope before I started work with the razor saw.  I'm already going to have to saw the hull to create a waterline model, and decided that I really wasn't up for chopping along two axis.  I'll be removing almost all of the "tanker" deck, but am still deciding where to make my cuts, as the fore and aft stairs end on it instead of the lower outer deck.  I will likely simplify assembly, as I notice the Takao Maru doesn't carry lifeboats, and some areas don't have railings.  I wondered if these were missing from the "cargo" deck as it would be too easy for a crane to damage them.

After looking for an unseen entrance to the truck loading area - thinking they must drive through, I decided that they actually back in.  One of the attached photos shows trucks in both bays, and another poised to back in as soon as the bay opens up.  Nearby, some material is being loaded into a mid-sized open (dump?) truck by a front-end loader - or, is it being off-loaded?  I'm assuming all the tanks in this area contain ingredients for the varying formulas of cement.

post-941-0-27484700-1407688149_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-69001900-1407688173_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-36332000-1407688195_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

post-941-0-63429300-1408070614_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-10918600-1408070640_thumb.jpg

I finished my surgery (butchery?) on the cargo deck on the Takeo Maru (nee Shell Welder), and made a mock-up of the aggregate hold.  This will be built with styrene sheet - plasticard to some of you.

I've decided not to modify the hull.  The kit is neither full hull nor waterline, having a flat bottom that is only about an inch below the edge of the deck.  I don't know yet if I'll use an Enviro-tex type product (most likely) for the water, or something solid.  I've also realized that I'll only have space for the water around the ship, and perhaps an inch more.

The bridge(s) will need to be on a separate module, as it will be difficult enough to fit the cement plant on a 4' long module, and I'd rather not make it any longer.  I may need to use a depth of 30", while I was hoping to keep it at 2'.  Also, a Vollmer product that I'd like to use for the bridge approach spans won't be back in production until October or so.  It is available in the U.S., but I would rather buy it in Germany - even with the shipping.

• Like 2

Looking good velotram! Love the cheereoos mock up!

Really glad you found this scene something fun to model, can't wait to see what comes out!

Water like this is always a pain to think about. All approaches have their issues.

One way to do a waterline is once the hull is built you epoxy it down to a board and run it slowly thru a band saw using the board edge (you can add a L onto it for more squaring support). Then gently sand flat. But in this case waterline will require you to have a full hold!

Unless you are the type that want to have the exact replica of the dockside operation, I would think about simplifying and just relying on your research into the cement plant industry to get all the basic elements into your space in some semblance of what was there.

Hey you can have the himiko water bus terminal across the channel to get a really weird ship in there!

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff -  It's velotrain, but I can see how it would look like tram - and it's appropriate in the context ;-)

> Love the cheereoos mock up!

Actually, they're (Trader) Joe's O's, although no doubt they were designed to look like the original.  I find these boxes useful for a number of applications, such as making templates.

> Unless you are the type that want to have the exact replica of the dockside operation

Not my type at all.  I'll attach images of what I currently plan to use for the dockside - the B-mann crane (body likely shortened, and that steam-looking stack modified), sitting on the Faller base, with a MTS clamshell bucket - which is rather expensive but I can't find any other.

post-941-0-19299500-1408078325_thumb.pngpost-941-0-46849500-1408078337_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-63759800-1408078385_thumb.jpg

I agree with you that at least one of the satellite shots makes it look like there are hoppers in the hold, but I've studied enough photos to be convinced that the dock crane has a clamshell bucket on it, and the most likely cargo is gravel . . . two-tone gray N scale ballast will be perfect! 

The Takao Maru is registered as an aggregate carrier.  I found photos of several aggregate carriers with a tracked crane on board, but none of them were the one at the Harumi pier, so I still don't know the name of the newer ship.

As I mentioned before, I plan to use bashed kits as much as possible - and I've already started that  ;-)

> Hey you can have the himiko water bus terminal across the channel to get a really weird ship in there!

You mentioned that in your original "cool port scene" post - I saw a photo of it under the Harumi RR bridge.  Kind of looks like a Hiawatha Skytop Lounge on steroids ;-) 

post-941-0-39605200-1408078411_thumb.jpg

Tell you what - you scratch-build it, and I'll gladly display it on the module - with full credit!

Yes long ago I bought one of the faller cranes as I thought it would work as an older dock crane hanging around an older pier!

Don't have to scratch build the himiko water bus, fujimi did it last year (that's why I found the cement plant when I was looking for the water bus dock for Mardon.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10222644

Only issue in this model is painting all the bloody window mullions!

Maybe ill make some more of the hobbie cats and you can have a regatta in the channel!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/hobiecat/index.html

Jeff

Ps sorry I'm dyslexic and I tend to replace bits like that all the time and never notice I've done it. Worse with things like userids.

Edited by cteno4

When you say the himiko water bus is "across the channel", I was taking that to mean Toyosu, but I can't pick out the dock in satellite view, and I didn't see the route indicated.  I gather the overall route is Asakusa - Odaiba, but don't know what path it takes through the islands. 

I can see where painting the water bus would be a real bear.  I'm surprised there isn't a commercial mask for it, as these are widely made for painting the cockpit canopy of model aircraft.

Those Hobbie Cats are quite nice.

An issue will be the module interface, as I'd like the make the "bridge module" just that, so it can be used to separate any group of modules.  I may also make it shallow, and not feel compelled to make it the full depth of the Harumi module.  I'd like my modules to have a more permanent look than most of what I see, while at the same time preserving flexibility in how they're arranged.  I'm sort of seeing them as islands, perhaps connected with temporary track.   I'll need to make a decision on the physical construction of them fairly soon.  If I use 2" foam, the river could be 1" foam.

I'm sure you've heard of the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia?

Charles

Yep up all night thinking of dog...

One of the water bus stops was around this area, while looking for it I ran across all sorts of great scenes like the cement plant and bridge.

Like the idea od splitting the module so the other side can be a different module with different possible shore scenes so eventually you could change them out for variety! Water bus terminal one week and barge wharf the next. Also would allow maybe smaller modules (or some of them) that could nicely be displayed on shelves when not in use rather than packed away.

It comes with a mask template but you have to cut them all out and place them. I've experimented trying the paint on mask and trimming but that did not stick well enough to the mullions. Looks like tamya masking tape that is carefully trimmed is the best bet, but uber tedious. Trying to cut the masks and then place them is even harder...

Btw there is a guy on ebay that sells resin cast crawler cranes just about like the one on the ship. They are ok quality and it took me a month to get my crane from him (he claimed the priority mail box was lost but would never send the confirmation number, I think he was just behind in work). I think these guys may have the old burt industry moulds. Wish someone would do some etched metal of a few of these.

Cheers

Jeff

Close - wondering if there IS a dog.

One thing I'm considering is having the Harumi track end just east of the bridge, but leaving the rails in a park setting - similar to the proto.  The tram lines (to the north) would connect to my central loop - I'm planning to have a hub and spokes layout design, with the capability for an extension on each corner of the main loop.   Many of the corners would just have a left switch on the outer line (and a matching right switch just past it to rejoin), with the inner tram staying on the center loop.  By throwing any switch on the loop, I can send the outside tram down an extension, and I plan to have multiple small reversing loop modules for the ends - proto or not.  Spring action will let it continue clockwise on the loop when it returns.  Theoretically, I'll have unattended operation on two different loops, with the outer loop variable.

I hope to use a lot of flex track, but will have standard Kato pieces at module end, or might consider the expanding piece.   When I was doing NMRA HO modules, we ended the module mains 4.5" from the end, then dropped a 9" straight section in, and slid the rail joiners onto the module track.  Whatever I use, the connecting track on all modules will have the same interface, allowing interchangeable "plug-n-play".

I hope to eventually expand the freight line to the west, possibly using the pier that Trix is coming out with - as old and wrong as it is.  I'm intentionally not using the main mast from the kit, thinking that I'll build a pair of cargo holds for the other kit, and have a mast at each end - although, these seem a bit light for actually hoisting serious cargo. Another possibility is trying to model some of Harumi Island; that 4-track avenue is a bit much, but I do like the warehouse with the unusual stairways at one end - lots of photos of that on the net.

I can't believe they wouldn't laser-cut the templates so you don't need to do it all manually - I think that's what the military modelers get.

>  I've experimented trying the paint on mask and trimming but that did not stick well enough to the mullions.

I'm confused - wouldn't you want the mask on the windows so you can paint just the mullions?  Or, is that the "dog" again?

I bought a small crawler crane, but the quality is poor and the boom is way too short for this application.  I actually prefer the older ship without a crane on board.  Putting a crane on would have eaten up a lot of the foredeck and forced me to do a lot more bashing to make a place for it, as well as reducing the area available for aggregate material.  I'd be curious to see a photo of the crane you bought - if you have one or it's accessible.

I'm leading a bike tour next week, so will not have any progress to report for a while.  In fact - I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from trains to do what I need to do for the trip.

Charles

Sorry yes, not sticking well to the windows! There is another brand I may try and the one I tried was from the lhs and not sure how long it was in the shelf! Folks do use the stuff on the clear stryene so it should work.

Laser cutting would be great, but not sure of they can just cust the mask and not the backing material. Could leave some small connectors but it would be a delicate flower!

It's much worse than any plane model as there a couple of dozen canopies to do with a lot od sections each.

Jeff

But in this case waterline will require you to have a full hold!

I have a crazy idea: How about cutting the baseboard and sinking the ship into it? That way you don't have to cut it at the waterline and it can have an open empty hold.

Yep this is the old ship diorama builders dilemma. Getting the waterline outline is a little work, but it can be got by cutting a crude hole larger in a piece of cardboard and sitting the ship level in the hole. Then take bits of card stock and cut some gentle curves in small bits to match small bits of the hull curve and tape in place. Keep layering and overlapping them until the whole waterline is covered with no gaps. Pull the ship and you have a negative template of the waterline you can trace.

Cheers

Jeff

I have a crazy idea: How about cutting the baseboard and sinking the ship into it? That way you don't have to cut it at the waterline and it can have an open empty hold.

Thanks KVP, but I'll probably use Enviro-tex.  From what I've seen, it's very difficult to make any sort of flat surface look like it has any depth.

While I was searching for solutions, I found a HOe layout of the German island of Rugen (mit umlaut) that used real water.  It had a moving (hand-cranked)  model of a tiny railcar ferry - I'm quite certain it was the Artitec model.  It looked to me that the upper edge of the plastic that held the water was less than an inch from the top.

The fleet's in town !

post-941-0-54871500-1409290742_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-15991700-1409290763_thumb.jpg

I built the Faller crane base.  It's an interesting kit - the engineering and casting are superb, and the stairs and railings are photo-etch quality, and every bit as fussy to deal with.

The stairs from the lower to upper platform were too short, and I added a shim at the bottom end.  I realized my error when it came to the railings, and I might redo that section.

I decided to retain the gantry rails, as they'll add scenic interest, but I'll place the buffers adjacent to the carriage wheels, indicating that the crane is no longer moved.

The crane body is feeling too shallow on this mounting.  I'm considering cutting up the chassis it came on and splicing it to the bottom of the crane.  I originally intended to shorten the body, and still think it's too long, but decided it would be needlessly messy surgery.

post-941-0-86315600-1409290797_thumb.jpgpost-941-0-69944800-1409290815_thumb.jpg

I thought there was an HO scale kit for an articulated crane, and I found it.  I'm buying one on the chance that the boom structure can be grafted onto an N-scale base.

post-941-0-98484200-1409290840_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Wooah! That fleet of cement trucks is baller!

Are you planning on giving each of them different number plates and some details the drivers of these trucks have altered? In Japan it's quite common that each truck driver has his/her own designated truck at both small and large companies. These drivers usually add an extra personal 'touch' to their ride, like chrome bumpers, plating and pipes, differently coloured light, kabuto headmarks, etc. It can be very subtle to excessive and screaming. AFAIK, when I look at the traffic on the big 16 (Yokohama to Hachiōji), trucks that aren't modified even a little bit are rare. Especially in the blue collar dominated construction sector.

Charles,

Wow great score on the truck fleet!

Cranes look great as well, looks like the graft of the articulating arm may work. I've looked at lots o HO cranes for similar grafting ideas and its a good potential way to not have to totally scratch build.

Jeff

Toni - I was planning on numbering them, but not sure what else.  Any ideas on finding that color paint?  I am bothered by how visible the seams are on the drum on some of the trucks.  However, I'm generally impressed with them.

As far as the driver customization, I'm very familiar with that in India and nearby countries, but didn't realize it was done in Japan.  Could you give me some search terms (English or Japanese) to hunt for photos of it?  I did find this photo, and noticed the steps and railings in the back - I don't suppose anyone makes aftermarket photo etch for N-scale trucks, as is done in the military modeling market.

post-941-0-23476100-1409327826_thumb.jpg

Jeff - apparently the Kibri articulated crane is not being produced anymore, but I found one on eBay - after checking other possible sources.  The proto is so huge, that I'm hoping it might look OK.  If not, I'll bulk up the Bachmann crane body, as it over seems overwhelmed by the support tower as is.  I'm also thinking of trying to add a new operators cab to the side of, and below the boom.  I'm thinking that in the proto operation, getting the gravel into the bucket right in front of the crane might be trickier than getting it out of the hold of the ship.  I might add some more H-beams, etc. once I start working on the conveyor system.  I'm envisioning an extended period of playing with the pieces, trying to get everything to fit.

I've realized I'll need to scratchbuild that conveyor support tower.  I ordered the Walthers cement/grain/gravel kits, so should be able to start laying out the whole complex in a week or so.  I also need to get some photo etch conveyors and stairs and platforms from TrainCat.

Jeff - I asked Nariichi @ MTP.  I had no interest in the dump trucks they were packaged with, so we made an arrangement to split the contents.

I felt he gave me a decent price for the dozen, and if he makes more than a certain amount selling the dump trucks, he'll refund some of it.  

Among other things, I wasn't paying shipping for something I didn't want - not that they're heavy.

I initially looked on eBay, but the most I could find of any one "style" was 5, and felt I needed a dozen minimum.  It looks like Harumi has about 40 or so.

i have to say that dock crane looks pretty good.

did you end up on a decision on the bridge and what to use for it?

Edited by keitaro