Hoki 800 Ballast Wagon

Are the Hoki 800s still in use today? I found some youtube videos of them in action. but they are 5-7 years old.

Are their specific groups that still use them? Or still Japan widespread?

Thanks.

Should be in use.  However I believe only for track maintenance purpose.

The photo is I took at Hachioji Station last year but still I see them at there even now I go to Hachioji sometimes for work.

post-1765-0-69104700-1407139730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. That what I needed/wanted to know. Gives me someone else other than Koki 107s and 50000s freight waise for the locos to pull around. Good excuse to buy another DE10 as a pusher unit.

I notice MTP has one box of Tomix Hoki 800 available. I should have asked this question before last weeks order.

Edited by katoftw
NuclearErick

nimo5 posted about a month ago 3 or 4 videos witch i think it is koki 800 not sure but is very similar

date of filming 2014.6.28

i previously watched some nimo5 videos before starting this post. again these were from 5 years ago but still featured De10s and Hoki 800s. thanks for posting up this newer video.

• Like 1

Just put my first Tomix Hoki 800 together.  That is a lesson in frustration.  The wife kept asking me what I was cursing at.

Only 2 more to make up.  Yay!  Not.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Last one down after it dissappeard for 28 days.

Comes in 2 pack, so have one spare just in case of breakage.  Only wanted 3, with DE10s pushing and pulling at each end.

Long time no post in the thread.  The devil allowed me to depart hell after assembling 3 Hoki 800s.

Lots of spares given, you get 50% more parts than you need:-

post-1782-0-06159600-1449367594_thumb.jpg

Don't be afraid of the Japanese instructions.  With the simplistic diagrams using English language numbers and letters, even child can complete the assembly:-

post-1782-0-79504300-1449367732_thumb.jpg

Completed:-

post-1782-0-61049200-1449367867_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-71060700-1449367995_thumb.jpg

Left = assembled, right = out of box:-

post-1782-0-34978100-1449368153_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-24508100-1449368297_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at aging/weathering, (oops which was really touching the dry decal with glue on fingertips):-

post-1782-0-25453200-1449368446_thumb.jpg

All the models could do with white paint on the steps and hand rails near the steps.  And some ballast dust added in key locations also.  I'm tempted to use some card, curve it a little and glue a thin layer of ballast to it.  Then add to top inside of hoppers.

Edited by katoftw

Last year this was released for N scale Hoki 800s from Revolution Factory, for 8 cars.  If I was to attempt these, I'd apply them before cutting up the number plate sprues.

RAIL-05674.jpg

Already go one of these for 6 cars.  Just replaces the out-of-the-box number plates that come in the set.

PP600.JPG

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
Das Steinkopf

All the models could do with white paint on the steps and hand rails near the steps.  And some ballast dust added in key locations also.  I'm tempted to use some card, curve it a little and glue a thin layer of ballast to it.  Then add to top inside of hoppers.

Here is a picture of some I got when travelling on the NEX for reference, I have some shots that I haven't uploaded yet of perway depots south of Osaka as well with a number of them parked in sidings but this is probably the closest that I got to them.

20532381739_d0d3a3d0da_z_d.jpg

Please do not thank Nankai for this 80s canary yellow eyesore.

ohmi_hoki13.jpg

At least the traction pulling them along was interesting.

390e44.jpg

Edited by katoftw
SuRoNeFu 25-501

At least the traction pulling them along was interesting.

390e44.jpg

At least Ohmi Railway's 220 series EMUs are having good post-retirement duties after becoming "予備車" (trains in ready-to-go condition that stored at the depot, in case if another train suffers damages)...

Das Steinkopf

I hope you didn't waste your money on that auction the other day, good thing Greenmax has delayed the release date of the Plasser 09-16 Tamper again and again and again and again and again as I will be able to order and pay for these as well as receive them before I even get to see the tamper in stock.

No I didn't.  It hit 8000 yen and i was like, "no thanks."  Whomever won that auction will be annoyed today. haha

edit//  That auction went for 8600 yen for 3 sets.  Very annoyed buyer me thinkz.  I'm getting mine for 1800 yen per 2 car set, 5400 total.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

No I didn't.  It hit 8000 yen and i was like, "no thanks."  Whomever won that auction will be annoyed today. haha

edit//  That auction went for 8600 yen for 3 sets.  Very annoyed buyer me thinkz.  I'm getting mine for 1800 yen per 2 car set, 5400 total.

Same here 3 x 2 car sets from AmiAmi, I don't care that I have to wait till May as it will be worth the wait, I just hope they bring out the PP600 alternative numbers set as well.

The PP-600 numbers are currently available in stock at Tomix.  Just ask a retailer to order them in for you.  I'd buy now before they run out.  People will be snapping them up now the wagons are available again.  Especially closer to may.

Edited by katoftw

Going back to katoftw's original question, it's very clear that the Hoki 800 still dominates the ballast business in Japan, some 2-3 decades after introduction.

I've been wondering why no one has tried to design a superior wagon, incorporating whatever knowledge has been gained from the 800 experience.

It looks like perhaps the Seibu may have done just that, based on this photo.  It appears to be the public (press?) introduction of a new ballast wagon type, with the general shape of the 800 but some changes.

The vertical supports of the load bay are much more hefty, and it looks like electrical cabinets have replaced the manual controls for ballast release. 

I'm not grasping the function of the "screens" at the upper ends of the gravel bin - they won't keep gravel in, so perhaps they're intended to keep something out?

I'm wondering if this might have been constructed in the railway's own shops? 

They seem very proud of it - and, after all, they rebuilt the E31's there.

If not, have these been seen on any other lines?

The workers look to be wearing Blue Thunder uniforms ;-)

gallery_941_192_221738.jpg

• Like 1