C56 tonnage ratings

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hello,

A few days ago I was running my Kato C56 loco and after making it tow effortlessly 14 assorted freight cars, I began wondering, what would be the right tonnage ratings for such a locomotive?

Cheers NB

Nick, I don't have an answer for you, but as you probably know tonnage ratings are determined by the grades and curves on the line the engine runs on. So if your C56 is running on a level bit of railway like the Muroran line in Hokkaido, it'll be able to pull a much heavier train than if it was running somewhere mountainous like the Koumi line. Hence the tonnage ratings will vary.

I wonder if someone somewhere has scanned and uploaded load tables/tonnage ratings for JNR steam? I'd be interested in them too.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Hello,

Thanks Mark and E6 for your replies. It seems that that 14 car train I was running the other day is not outlandish as a load for a C56...good to know.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

You will find many photos of C56 in action.  You will see consist range from 2 or 3 box cars up to more than 20 cars.

There's some great photos there, thanks E6. I never realised that you could search Katsu's blog like that!

All the best,

Mark.

Thanks Mark and E6 for your replies. It seems that that 14 car train I was running the other day is not outlandish as a load for a C56...good to know.

Happy to help, Nick. Looking at the photos on Katsu's blog, and some in books from my own library, 15 to 20 cars seems to be about the maximum a single C56 can pull.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Happy to help, Nick. Looking at the photos on Katsu's blog, and some in books from my own library, 15 to 20 cars seems to be about the maximum a single C56 can pull.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark. I also remembered that I have a picture of a Thai C56 rolling a pretty long mixed train somewhere in the country. I just haven't had the time to count the number of wagons.

One thing I have to do however the next time I run my C56 is to count a bogie wagon as two wagons...

Cheers NB