Placement of ATS sensors

Hi all, I recently bought Greenmax #2181 (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10169338) which includes 18x ATS track beacons. I'm trying to work out what would be a a good placement for these on my double track through-station, with a single crossover.

Here is my track plan. There is only a platform on one side, and a crossover.

af29234b22fb438776780cb002f6f77b-800.jpg

With limited express service starting soon (Kiha 283!), track safety has become a bit of an election issue among the citizens of the railway. I would hate to let the mayor down, so I am pushing for ATS to be established. Only problem is my workmen don't have the required experience and are unsure where to place the sensors. Can anyone help us please?

40c124425c0b0cfecb28d273cbc78cbb-800.jpg

Thanks very much,

Michael Adams,

Track foreman,

Utrainia Railway Group.

• Like 1

An ats transponder is placed wherever there is a signal that could be passed at danger. They are usually located at least braking distance away from the protected turnouts. In your case if the two lines have traffic in both directions, then you have to place at least 4 at braking distance from the crossover and i would add one at each of the the two stopping points on the platforms (where the front cab of the train should stop). With single direction running, you can leave out the transponders that are against the running direction. (in the second case, the crossover would not be usable with normal service patterns if the two lines were signalled for single direction running)

Anyway, the main rule is that you should place the ats transponders together with your signals, at or slightly before the signal. If there are no signals on a line, then the lack of ats transponders is the smallest problem.

• Like 1

Thanks very much KVP, most helpful. From what I've seen on Youtube and been able to translate from JA wikipedia, ATS operates roughly like so:

• Some distance away, a warning transponder. Bell rings.
  • If ATS is reset, driver is permitted to bring their engine to a controlled stop before the second ATS transponder.
  • If ATS isn't reset and the engine crosses the second transponder, the train enters emergency braking.

Is that about right?

In your case if the two lines have traffic in both directions, then you have to place at least 4 at braking distance from the crossover and i would add one at each of the the two stopping points on the platforms (where the front cab of the train should stop).

Thanks, I can see that one Greenmax 2181 pack won't go very far in the real world! They look good though, and I think I have a bit more of an idea about where to place them now.

8f05de82e1f4fac214ae51ca088cfeb2-800.jpg

Anyway, the main rule is that you should place the ats transponders together with your signals, at or slightly before the signal. If there are no signals on a line, then the lack of ats transponders is the smallest problem.

Ha, I better break out the 0603 surface mount LEDs and solder up some more signals then :-) Should keep me busy for the next few evenings. Cheers!