Toshiba 40-ton steeplecab

marknewton

Nick_Burman

A familiar face! :) Where did you get those plates from?

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Tell us more, please!

Tenshodo (made by Bachmann) "#16 gauge" (Japanese HO scale) Toshiba 40ton loco.

I have one and because it is one of the most "amorphous" electrics out in the market, it can literally be turned into a representation of anything, despite being Japanese prototype. A friend of mine had two turned into Chinese opencast mine locos; add a bell and a few extra details (maybe replace the pan with a trolley pole) and it could be used in an US context (Waterloo Cedar Falls & Northern had a pair of lookalike locos bought from a Minnesota iron mine); add ditch lights and buffers and it could be used in an European context. A most versatile loco...

Cheers NB

Thanks - that is a seriously good looking locomotive. I agree, change a few minor details and it could be at home anywhere.

Nick_Burman

I have too... but in N... and in a old talian livery....

attachicon.gifzC-IMG_0279.JPG

Great!

This and this would also look good as "concesse" locos. In fact, the first one look almost like the ex-AC locos on the Centrale Umbra...

Cheers NB

Sorry chaps, I didn't realise that I'd posted the photo without any text. My apologies for doing that!

As Nick wrote, it's a Tenshodo model of a Toshiba 40-tonner. I've got two of these locos, one will be finished as a JNR ED29 loco, and the other you see here in it's out-of-the-box Keisei livery. In answer to Nick's question, the etched plates were included with that version of the model. I originally bought this one to represent a Chitetsu loco, but I've changed my mind on that idea, so I'm leaving it as is.

Ken, if you fancy a steeplecab loco in HO, I can recommend these models. They perform flawlessly - I had this one running on my clubs exhibition layout recently for about 6 hours straight, and it never missed a beat.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Sorry chaps, I didn't realise that I'd posted the photo without any text. My apologies for doing that!

As Nick wrote, it's a Tenshodo model of a Toshiba 40-tonner. I've got two of these locos, one will be finished as a JNR ED29 loco, and the other you see here in it's out-of-the-box Keisei livery. In answer to Nick's question, the etched plates were included with that version of the model. I originally bought this one to represent a Chitetsu loco, but I've changed my mind on that idea, so I'm leaving it as is.

Ken, if you fancy a steeplecab loco in HO, I can recommend these models. They perform flawlessly - I had this one running on my clubs exhibition layout recently for about 6 hours straight, and it never missed a beat.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, if you are going to keep your loco in "as is" state, you might just as well pull out the paintbrush and repair the paint on the cab handrails. One thing I'm thinking about doing on mine is repainting the handrails yellow - this will help "bringing out" an otherwise very plain loco. You might try this ahead of me.

Cheers NB