"Post new topic" error

Hello - I'm new to the site, and four times now have gotten this message:

"This page can't be displayed"

when I tried to post a new topic - in the Tram forum.

We'll see what happens here . . .

Since I was able to post the above, I went back to the tram forum and found I was now able to post my message there.  I have no idea what was causing the problem, but did make one change - that may or may not be related.  I had my message typed up in Word, with the subject at the top - underlined.  I tried removing the underline before copying and pasting into the forum subject line.

I have DSL, but even so this site seems particularly slow to me - compared to other Asian sites.

Well, this isn't an asian site, and unless something has changed, Martjin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we're still hosted in the USA. Are you behind a firewall, a proxy, a VPN?

I can get some slow response here with the forum with a 40mps fiber connection from time to time. its variable for me here in dc. I think the server is now in Europe.

Jeff

> "Are you behind a firewall, a proxy, a VPN?"

No

I didn't know where the site was hosted, and noticed that I got faster response in the wee hours of the night.

I usually encounter the slowness trying to open a forum or thread or post within a thread.

However, I've gotten the above error message several times now when writing a post, including replies to an existing topic.

I just lost about a half-hour of keyboarding due to this, so plan to compose all future messages (of any length) in Word, and then paste it in - so I have a backup.

I cant recall seeing a connection issue to the server in the past year, but Martjin is the one who handles that stuff, so hopefully he will see it.

No errors here just slow to respond to page requests now and then. I just figure its a slow up from the server building the custom page from the db if its on a shared virtual server box.

Jeff

Martijn Meerts

The server is hosted in Amsterdam, but I don't think that's the cause of the slow downs.. The forum software does a lot of caching, but whenever a non-cached page gets visited, or a page that's set to be recached, it takes a while to display it.

If the speed (or lack thereof) gets too bothersome, we may have to look into it again, but at the moment none of the admins really have much time to spend on anything other than critical errors.

The forum software is quite good, but there hasn't been a complete rewrite of it for a while, and they still support very old versions of PHP. A lot of the code isn't very optimal, and their templating system (to make custom themes) is pretty terrible :)

Martijn,

the slow ups are pretty minor for me and just now and then so i figured just server being bogged down and creating a whole new page on the fly. its no bother to me! 

you all do so much for nothing already! thanks again for all you guys do keeping the forum going! it is amazing it does putt right along very well with this forum software!

cheers

jeff