Joyful Trains

http://s.response.jp/article/2014/07/19/228092.html

A quick summary:

- Two KiHa 110 cars will be remodeled

- It will run on the 96.7 km long Iiyama Line in Nagano prefecture

- (not sure if I understood this correctly) One car will be added to a regular scheduled train between Nagano and Tokamachi as of late December 2014. In Spring 2015 the other car will be remodeled and the two cars coupled will run one round trip a day on Saturday and in the weekends in addition to the earlier mentioned service.

- Name of the joyful train is '古民家', which seems to mean 'Old house' after which it is supposed to be modelled to.

(Shall we make this the official joyful train announcement topic? So many are being introduced as of lately. ;) )

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

That's going to be a very scenic ride from Nagano to Tokamachi, if what I see on Google Maps is correct. It will follow the river valleys of the Shinano River (known as Chikuma River in Nagano Prefecture). And using a KiHa 110 DMU is appropriate, given how big the side windows on a KiHa 110 are.

Edited by Sacto1985

I need to grab one of my Japanese friends and try going to a JR Group company and proposing my own joyful train, and use to angle of selling it as foreigner designed)  I'll try to bag an outgoing E231 and painting it metallic Brunswick green with three or five gold stripes and call it the sexy baka gaijin express.

• Like 2

(Shall we make this the official joyful train announcement topic? So many are being introduced as of lately. ;) )

Great idea! Ditto that!

There seems to be sprouting out a number of joyful trains lately. In fact, I was hoping if it was possible to come out with a list of joyful trains to date. I can try to start off a few.

This Kiha-110 is interesting, fact that the recent 'Tohoku Emotion' being in service. Perhaps JR East took fleet of a large number of Kiha-110?

Davo Dentetsu

We might need to invent some "Dismal Trains" to keep the balance, otherwise everything will be too happy.

Luckily, I am here to help.  Ah, here it is arriving now.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4
bikkuri bahn

I rode a kiha 52 on the Iiyama Line back in the mid-1990's, I think.  It was winter or perhaps early spring- I remember lots of snow, narrow valleys, and few passengers.  Alas, the 52's are long gone.

Many of the new Joyful Train trainsets nowadays are rebuilt KiHa 40/47/48 or KiHa 100/110 trainsets--mostly because 1) there are plentiful spare parts available and 2) being DMU's you don't have to worry about making sure the line has overhead electrical power. I'd love to see JR West consider modifying a number of KiHa 120's to run on scenic trains on the Ōito Line between Itoigawa and Minami-Otari and the Sankō Line between Gōtsu and Miyoshi.

A four-car 651 series joyful train called the Izu Craile will enter service this summer on the Ito Line.

The interior will undergo extensive modifications to facilitate sightseeing and to create a friendly, social atmosphere.  There will also be a bar!

This one? ;)

• Like 1

An all Green train with compartments and a bar space, with a beautiful outer shape of the bubble head E651 and lovely flowers all around?

I need a model of that train so badly!!

Edited by JR 500系
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Ah, another "the old guy of Joban Line's post-privatization limited express fleet" a.k.a 651 has received modification again, this time into a very sleek Joyful Train  :read2:

I wouldn't be surprised if more 651's are rebuilt into Joyful Train service. There are a number 485 Series-based Joyful Trains and they may need retirement soon.

• Like 2

I wonder has JR East thought about rebuilding a number of 651 series end cars with new cabs that allow passengers to see forward to be used in Joyful Train service.

The immediate post-JNR period had some unique liveries... :grin

I wonder has JR East thought about rebuilding a number of 651 series end cars with new cabs that allow passengers to see forward to be used in Joyful Train service.

If they're willing to do more physically dramatic rebuilds than the Izu Craile, I don't see why not.  Actually I guess the Izu Craile has no physical modification to the 651.  Both the E001 Shiki-shima and the HB-E300 end cars have plenty of glass, so I'd guess they're not concerned with crash resistance like JR West has been since the 225 series.  It would definitely be nice to see various JRE workshops turn out some unique one-offs.

• Densha unpinned this topic