Non-SLR camera?

I'll be riding on trains in Japan a lot starting this Autumn, and I'd like to buy a camera for taking photos of train stations, primarily, and the occasional train as well. Essentially, I need something that will produce better quality than an iPhone, but is more portable and simpler to use than an SLR. I probably can't afford the most expensive stuff, but the next level down should be fine.

Any recommendations based on these specs would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll do some of my own research as well.

I probably can't afford the most expensive stuff, but the next level down should be fine.

Any recommendations based on these specs would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll do some of my own research as well.

Do you have a budget? Even non slr camera have a good price range

Nowadays cheap SLR's are quality-wise a way better option and not expensive at all, but I understand your problem with portability with them.

I use a Canon SX170IS and this is my third camera in this line. Its small, takes good photos.  I regularly view my images on a 32 inch TV. It no longer uses AA batteries which is a drawback since you can find AA batteries anywhere, so I bought a second battery. I  only bought this camera 10 days ago so I don't have that many photos to show yet. Here is an example.

I've heard it doesn't stop small children, but I took this passenger train photo at speed at a station just outside Lisbon. On all but my second trip to Lisbon I used a SX130 IS or a SX150IS. Most of the photos on my Flickr account are taken with these 3 Canon cameras.

Video is HD, but not full HD. Here's an example.

http://youtu.be/3PvXaYxwoYc?list=UUjU_CPTqGKJmakEUUwdER-A

Reviews: Techradar, CNET, and Digital Camera Review.  Flickr also has a camera finder.

Edited by bill937ca

I had and have a lot of cameras...

Now I tell you about non reflex cameras as the pocket are more easy to carry...

When you choose a camera you have to search for two main features: the sensor size and the MegaPixels.

Greater is the sensor better is the quality: in the pocket cameras are 1/2.3" (6.16 x 4.62 mm) and 1/1.7" (7.6 x 5.7 mm)

MP: I suggest you no more than 12-14 MP as more can cause no good quality with these small sensors (a lots of "noise").

I can suggest a Canon SX130IS 12MP 12x (I have and I payed 120 Euros) or SX150IS 14MP 12x (about same price) but I tested and has a little more noise than the 130...

Now, could be a little better the SX270IS 12MP 20x (less than 200 Euro) but I don't know well...

These have all 3 the 1/2.3" sensor and the M manual and P programs features. The 270 is a little smaller than 13o or 150 but has battery pack instead AA stilo cells. Are all 3 morhe than 10x zoom

I have also the Nikon P7700 12MP 1/1.7" 7.1x It's a great camera (M and P also) Pics are better than Canon but the price is about 400 Euro: I payed 300 because was in spcial offer as now there is the 7800 that has also the eye finder (7700 has only LCD). This camera is a little bigger than Canon 130...

If you want to have a great camera but not big as a reflex I can suggest the P7700... (similar is the Canon G1 but costs double...) and you can catch a great value object, in alternative, the 270 is a good camera for general purpose...

Mind if you have a great zoom (30x in example) more you extend zoom less is the light captured...

I think 7 to 10x zoom it's a good value... but if you stay in a station I think also 5x is enough...

I hope this was useful...

If you need more infos write me ...

Matteo.

This sounds like a perfect use for Micro 4/3 - a smaller sensor interchangeable lens camera. Look at Olympus and Panasonic for examples, they've gotten good enough that you can buy the last generation on clearance and get great results.

Another option is one of the Sony mirrorless cameras (formerly the NEX line) - they use the same APS-size sensor as most digital SLRs in a much smaller form factor. Again, deals abound in new old stock.

Either system described is very capable and is a step or more above the typical small sensor camera, at least until you get to the higher end models.

I've made five trips to Japan just to photograph trains, (twice for the AP and once for Reuters, and twice just for fun)  and have used everything from Nikon D2/D3-series professional cameras with all f/2.8 zoom glass, to small pocket cameras like a Fuji X20 and everything in between.

As a devout Fuji X user, I'd point to the X-A1 or X-M1 as small cheap(er) travel rig with dSLR image quality and ease of use, first. However, if you should also look at the Oly PEN E-PL-series. I don't recommend anything below M43 or you're right back in camera-phone image quality.

Do note, most every dSLR, on the lower-end of the model spectrum (Canon Rebel/Kiss, Nikon D3000 series, and so forth) is no harder to use than a camera-phone, and interface the nearly same as the mirrorless. Some of the lower-end mirrorless systems and the Sony NEX are more complicated than the high-end dSLR, have heavily menu driven interface which I'm not a big fan of for on-the-fly shooting.

Entry level dSLR and mirrorless camera are geared toward the same market segment these days, however, you may also wish to   consider some of the mid-to-upper level bridge cameras well, which can be had pretty cheap these days and give yup a lot of reach.

So, a few questions:

1. What do you plan to do with the pix? (print, or just Facebook post them?)

2. How much weight/physical size can yo carry for a day at a time?

3. What is your budget to spend on the camera?

It narrows down the playing field a lot.

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendations and information. I don't think I would want to spend more than $500. I'm not a serious amateur photographer, I tried to get into the hobby ages ago, but my aesthetic judgement is terrible. I just want a visual record of my trips to train stations in Japan and to store it online somewhere. But I want to avoid the obvious visual flaws that show up in iPhone pics. Zoom ability is not that important, 5X is enough. Video is not important at all. Compactness and portability is very important for me, because I'll also take it on my mountain hikes where weight is a concern, and also because I like to be discrete when taking pics.

(edit: changed my max price to $500)

Edited by ijontichy

That's a tricky order then, because compact point and shoots are pretty much dead these days. There are relatively few out there anymore as cell phones have replaced them. The higher ends ones are replaced by mirrorless which in turn are cannibalizing the  entry level dSLR sales. There are still some of the Wal*Mart specials out there, but the reality is point and shoot models are replaced in 6-9 product cycles, at least the ones that are still left.

There are some cheap bridge camera still around. For my last two trips to Japan this year, I left all my professional gear at home, simple because I did not want to carry the weight. I used both my XX-Pro1 and X100, both had wide angle only lenses. If I needed reach, I used my X20. In fact about half my train pix were with the X20. (The other Fuji cameras were used for street photography and shrines)

The X20 sells for $499 but that price will drop as the X30 is expected to be released soon. A used X10, the older model sells for much less from KEH Camera. I would suggest either camera, as they do great for trains. Sadly, the days of the point and shoot overall are numbered with exception of a few of the high-end premium models, and the sub-$100 Wal*Mart stocking stuffers.

One other thing to note, I'm not sure what cellphone you have, but I did about 2500 images (non-zoom) with both my iPhone 4 and 5 and they both do great with exception of low light, and even handle motion well. The Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020, have even better cameras than the iPhone and know co-workers at the WaPo who have used them for professional work in a pinch with some pretty good results.

• Like 2
lurkingknight

I have a nikon bridge camera, it has an optical zoom lens and some features similar to slr, it's a little bit bigger than a plain point and shoot but it's not as big as an slr.

If you're looking for not an slr, I would probably go this route. Combined with a tripod and playing around with exposure settings you can get some really great shots in any lighting.

The only drawback for me is that it saves out in jpg, not raw.

The only down side to the bridge cameras are the small sensors which really hurt in low-light and with the shadows, especially if you have trucks and undercarriages that are painted black. Even the larger P&S and bridge cameras with the 2/3" sensors (like my X20) get pinged in this area. The super-zooms are nice in the bridge class, but optics tend to be weak, as well as slow. AF hunt is a also an issue with the super-zooms. I can't speak for the lower-end models but I had a Nikon CoolPix 5000, years ago, and it was able to shoot in NEF and TIFF, but the buffers tend to be small, even with the bridge cameras like the Fuji X-S1 and their finepix range.

Sadly, as with all things in photography, there is always a tradeoff.

Sadly, as with all things in photography, there is always a tradeoff.

With a budget that is. Not when you're a millionaire. I don't think anybody here is though. ;)

With a budget that is. Not when you're a millionaire. I don't think anybody here is though. ;)

I could be, and just don't brag about it :P

If true, I'd suggest the ultimate mirrorless camera, a Leica M220 or M240.

I love my X100, and X-Pro1, but I'd be willing to give them up for a Type 240 and/or an M Monochrom. My X100 is at the end of its usable service life and I'm just stringing it on till the X-Pro is released in January.

I've gotten *very* used to the hybrid finder, to the point that I've caught myself trying to put my M6 into EVF mode on occasion!  I was hoping for a FF X-Pro that could take my M mount glass at native FOV, but it doesn't sound like that's likely.

LOL, I tried to do that the other day shooting trains with the X20, then kicked myself for using the X20 instead of the X-Pro. I bought the X20 as a reach camera to use when my feet wont let me zoom. Fuji is committed to APS-C for the X-Pro2.There maybe a X200 in FF or MF down the road. Sadly, the next releases we have to look forward to will be the X30 and X100t next month at Photokina.