Japanese Retailers - Compare & Contrast

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

I went made the other week and made three purchases, with three different suppliers  :o. Hit-Japan supplied a Tokaido E217 unit, Rainbow 10 a Kato EF64-0 in freight livery and Tokyo-Rail a Micro Ace EF64-0 in blue.

All were obtained within a day of one another, all take Paypal and all charged more or less the same in postage. Rainbow 10 lost a little time with its rather strange ordering process which involves (for those who don't know) copying the relevant items details from the long stock list they have and emailing to them, before they return with an invoice - the other two were in effect 'one stop shops' for ordering and purchasing.

Despite this delay, that Thursday (I tend to place any orders I have on a Sunday evening) two packages had turned up - one from Hit Japan and one from Rainbow 10. Service from the pair of them was excellent, and on a par with Plaza-Japan, who I have used exclusively for purchases from Japan up until now.

The same day I received the packages, I got an email from Tokyo-Rail telling me their package had been dispatched - currently it has been held up at customs  >:( (not Tokyo-Rail's fault I might add). One interesting thing Tokyo-Rail provide is a set of photographs of the actual package they are sending - with the tracking number visible. Useful for identification purposes...

Interested to know what other's experience of these three is on here; it's not that I won't use Tokyo-Rail again - especially if they have something in stock that nobody else has - it's just they seem slower than the others to send packages whilst not having much difference in their charges.

Hit-Japan and Rainbow 10; both 10/10  ;D

Tokyo-Rail currently 8/10 - based on the assumption it does get delivered.

CaptOblivious

Let me add that Rainbow 10's customer service is outstanding. I ordered a Tomix station set, and in the box was a wrong part. I sent a photo and a short note to the staff, asking if anything could be done, and, after apologizing politely, they EMS'd me a replacement part that day.  :o  They get quite a lot of my business for that.

alpineaustralia

I think Rainbow ten and popendetta are my two favourites. Both use the same email and invoice system but they are by far the cheapest

I've only used Tokyo Rail once.  In my mind Tokyo Rail is a source of last choice because of his pricing which often seems to be above list.  But with limited supply, Tokyo Rail often has what is not available elsewhere.

My rating 7.5/10.

I should point out i've never had a real problem with any Japanese dealer.

disturbman

For the moment I've only use three different suppliers:

Hobby Search: Quite effective supplier that have a very user friendly website. Good variety of products, nothing to complain about here.

Hobby World: The website is not a beauty and is a tad complicated or heavy to use. But on the bright side I find that the prices are quite low compared to Hobby Search and that, also, they have some products that they don't have anywhere else. Another good point is the SAL delivery option. last but not least you don't pay directly, you wait untill they are sure to have your items ready.

Japan Auction Center: Practical but very specialized. In anyway I really recommand that type of services if you can afford it.

Avoid Rakuten,  its been caught handing out customers personal info and credit card numbers to other parties.  >:(

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090607a8.html

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rakuten admits giving shoppers' data to nine firms

Kyodo News

Rakuten Inc., the operator of Japan's largest Internet shopping mall Rakuten Ichiba, admitted Friday that it had handed over credit card numbers and other personal information on its customers to nine companies that run shops on the network.

Rakuten said it has been getting complaints from shoppers upset about receiving junk mail at the e-mail addresses they used to conduct transactions with Rakuten and other incidents.

But a Rakuten official said he believes that the personal data disclosed to the nine shops was not leaked outside the online mall's network.

In 2005, Rakuten pledged in public that it wouldn't disclose the personal data of shoppers to companies that operate in the virtual mall, except for postal addresses and names needed to deliver goods ordered.

Bill - Great information to know, and that is my biggest fear of the internet and giving out your credit card & personal info. Thanks for the heads up.

I would recommend Tokyo Rail - they helped me out on many an occasion and their prices are not too bad.

Hit-Japan are also very good - have not bought much from them but the few items I have have been fast and well packed at great prices.

Hobby World have been ok - but the few items I ordered from them they did not seem to restock those items when they state they will restock within 3 days - not the end of the world I know but a little frustrating. :-\

disturbman

Hobby World have been ok - but the few items I ordered from them they did not seem to restock those items when they state they will restock within 3 days - not the end of the world I know but a little frustrating. :-\

Yes, the "Back Order in 3 days option". So, at the end, you never ended up receiving this items?

Yes, the "Back Order in 3 days option". So, at the end, you never ended up receiving this items?

Yes I was knocked back twice  -

Claude_Dreyfus

Quick update; the EF64 from Tokyo-Rail is still fiddling around at customs  >:( >:( >:(

How long does it take for HM Customs and Excise to process one little locomotive?

disturbman

Yes I was knocked back twice  -

I guess must depends the items. Last week I ordered two "back order" items and today I received an email telling me that they were dispatch to me. In any case I think I will never totally believe that the "back order" items can be shipped. I will at first assume they are not available. Then, if they have it, I will feel glad. it sounds like some positive thinking crap but, hey, it works. Anyway, now I just have to wait untill I receive my package to know if it's really what I've ordered. And, at the end, one of the thing I ordered disapeared from the on-line catalogue.

Darren Jeffries

Quick update; the EF64 from Tokyo-Rail is still fiddling around at customs  >:( >:( >:(

How long does it take for HM Customs and Excise to process one little locomotive?

From my experience with HMCE, they can take an age!!! More often than not it is held up with the receiving carrier. RM are quite efficient, but UPS are not so!

Sushi Train

Rainbow 10's packaging skills can sometimes let them down and they wont take responsibility for damaged goods even if their packing is to blame.

That's a royal pain. It shouldn't take all too long, but a lot depneds on the backlog.

Claude_Dreyfus

EF64 finally arrived...hoorah!  ;D

Very well packed, with a flyer advertising some interesting new arrivals.

The EF64 looks fantastic - going to be a very interesting compare and contrast with the Kato example I received a couple of weeks ago... I'll get my camera out and take some pictures - probably on my Chuo line thread....

Now I just have to wait for the Hoki1800 ballast hoppers I managed to get from Newhall Station (good range, prompt service; !*%£?@# expensive though!) to clear customs.... ::)