Japanese roads and sidewalks

Spaceman Spiff

Might be late in the thread, but I printed a jpg (from a computer game: road jpg) on to Avery 8.5X11 shipping label. It has adhesive on the one side, so I just cut to fit and stick it on. I use paint to print out sheets of straight yellow lines.

I am using grey cardboard with some texture for sidewalks.

Not the best pic as it still in the planning process. The trees will be drilled into place.

Spiff

post-387-0-88868700-1404681561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Wet'n'dry paper used for prepping paint is good for texture on roadways, I used 360 grit on an HOe piece, any joins can be masked with black acrylic mixed with thick white glue, looks like tar expansion joints or patch repairs.

We used 400 grit wet and dry on the old jrm layout and worked well except we would disassemble it all the time into all the individual scenery bits (it was all built on the fly at each show) and the only problem was it could get scuffed up. I tried a bench test of some dull coat on on the 400 and it looked good but never got to doing the actual bits before we went to layout 2.0!

One thing we did do was run an tomica mini truck with about 1/150 tire spacing and rolling wheels along the main road paths to make that lighter area you see where the wheels go mostly on really black asphalt. Could have gotten fancy with washes or weathering powder, but this was fast and simple...

Jeff