Japanese railway signals for dcc

Tomix forms signals are DCC friendly, because they can be controlled the same way as the turnouts, so there are no track sensors. If you want to use a tomix or kato automatic signal on DCC, you have to open them up and disconnect the sensor contacts from the track and connect them to a 12V DC pulse source, like a DCC accessory decoder. (you can also completly gut them and wire them up for full control) Also, you can use the optical sensors used by the new type kato level crossing to drive the track inputs on the signals. Some wiring is required for both.

However if you only want single direction signalling on a double track line, then you can pretty much use them as is as long as the DCC voltage is around 12V, which is a good idea anyway with japanese trains. You only loose directional sensitivity with DCC, so the signals will cycle regardless of the direction of the train. (a small diode might be required to be inserted into the track sensor line if the signal can detect reverse directional running, that turns the DCC signal into a pulsed DC signal and disables the reverse direction detection)

Besides all these hackings, i would also like to know if there are ready to run Japanese signals that don't have a control circuit, just the leds.

Edited by kvp

Hello Mr Melandir,

Please allow me to provide a little assistance with your question about signal.

3 aspect signal is generally the most popular.

I give you this link: http://www.rokko1go.jpn.org/main/photo/english/jp-signals.htm

If you are happy to model 3 aspect then I have found this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400200999767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Also, if you are prepared to do some modelling then Digitrax make a 3/6 aspect signal: http://www.digitrax.com/products/detection-signaling/smbk/

• Like 1

Many thanks KVP and E6

E6 signals you linked me were the one I was looking for, less problem than modify kato and tomix one, and also less expensive

many thanks again

Ochanomizu

Hello Mr Melandir,

So sorry, but I'm curious to know how you will be controlling your signals.  Will it be automated using DCC?  If so, what equipment will you use?

While I don't have DCC at the moment, this is on my wish list... I especially want to model a GG signal for my Hakutaka's.

Hello Mr Melandir,

So sorry, but I'm curious to know how you will be controlling your signals.  Will it be automated using DCC?  If so, what equipment will you use?

I plan to use an accessory decoder, but I have not one model in mind yet,

but to have light work as expected you need to control them using a computer program

something like traincontroller, itrain, rocrail or jmri

I have purchased a Digitrax SE8C, but not yet implemented on my layout.  Apparently, it will control up to 32 signal heads.  I also have several Digitrax signal masts for testing.

• Like 1

Thanks E6, I'll take a look to that digitrax decoder, also my command station support loconet, no issue there

I'm using the SIGM20 signal controler from CML Electronics in conjuction with Digitrax BDL168 detectors.

Yes, CML product looks very good.  CML offers sequencing of signals, right?

Is it possible to have several SIGM20 units operate together?

Yes, CML product looks very good.  CML offers sequencing of signals, right?

Is it possible to have several SIGM20 units operate together?

Yes to both questions.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Westfalen might correct me, but the main problem with Japanese signalling in model form is the lack of a signal driver hardware which will imitate the usual Japanese signal aspect sequence (G - Y/G - Y/Y - Y - R) and its variations.

Cheers NB

Westfalen might correct me, but the main problem with Japanese signalling in model form is the lack of a signal driver hardware which will imitate the usual Japanese signal aspect sequence (G - Y/G - Y/Y - Y - R) and its variations.

Cheers NB

No, I agree with you, the CML board does allow British (and Queensland) style G-Y/Y-Y-R four aspect though.  I'm using three aspect G-Y-R signalling that is used on some of the less busy Japanese lines and also fits in with my American and British modelling.

Cheers NB

I'd like to use a software to pilot the signals, in my club they are currently testing iTrain

http://www.berros.eu/itrain/en/

but I don't know if it support japanese signals