GreenMax apartment paint scheme

Hi All,

I purchased a Green Max No.44 apartment block kit molded in grey plastic (y'know, the one with the random USAF C-121 Constellation flying over the buildings).  Just wondering if anyone has a kit built up and painted that they could share pictures of - there are no painting instructions (or suggestions) and I guess I'm not real creative when it comes to colors.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Evan

Evan,

Take a look around some small Japanese cities using google street view. It's a great way to get ideas for color, placement and also little details on and around the building to make it unique and no longer the generic green max kit.

I see apartments all the time that are very similar every time I do street view. Amazing how many times I run across a building and go that must be the prototype for kit xyz!

Pretty standard scheme done on the jrm layout with very light gray and gray roof. Then some different colored blinds in the windows, I think he got this idea from a actual picture of a similar apartment building in japan

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/2010sakuramatsuri/fullsize/DSC00520.JPG

More in this gallery and probably others

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/2010sakuramatsuri/index.html

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
brill27mcb

We had a Japanese woman come with her son to one or our East Penn club's weekend N-gauge layout setups, and when she saw the slope-topped Tomix condominium building, she got tears in her eyes because she "had lived in a building just like that" back in Japan. It is amazing how such a common model can look so right, even to a knowledgeable person.

Rich K.

• Like 1

Yeah that is the building I think I have seen in the most different places and photos! Must be a prefab design that's reused a lot.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Those are the exact buildings that I have - and I love the suggestion of going to google maps street view.

Evan

As Gaijin (foreigners) we do not see things that may be common to the local residents. It is funny that the discussions provided to clues to the buildings but our preception of Japan prevented up from coming to the realization of what they were. These buildings are public housing hense its frequent placement and modular format.

The irony is we would wonder how a foreigner could not tell "the projects" from "the suburbs" as one should see it plain as day.

Chances are you will have to look in certain areas to find these units in Google map.

I made the mistake of spraying mine light grey all over to try and get that concrete prefab effect, then realised I had to redo all the window frames in white :sad1: I am still to finish it but was thinking of red, green and blue doors on each floor.

I have seen some of these buildings in an off white or a sandy/tan colour, also some which were two colour

nscalestation

Here's one of mine built about 10 years ago.

DSCN7237.JPG

Green Max # 44 was one of the first Japanese buildings I put together and the yellow is a bit bright to be prototypical.  Since then I learned to tone things down a bit.

Here's one of mine built about 10 years ago.

DSCN7237.JPG

Green Max # 44 was one of the first Japanese buildings I put together and the yellow is a bit bright to be prototypical.  Since then I learned to tone things down a bit.

You could act as if the building has undergone a reconstruction program, with a repaint. The house we live in is maybe of an even brighter yellow...