Painting KATO bridge spans?

I have for my future layout several KATO bridge spans, some truss type for the main spans and some non-truss for the approaches.  I have each type in both "red" and "green", except the shades of red for the truss and non-truss aren't even close to similar, and the same goes for the green spans.

So I would like to paint the bridges so each bridge, end to end, is one color.  I've already determined that the bridge spans are molded in color, so I won't be painting over existing paint.  What I need to know, if anyone can help, are:

1. What type of plastic does KATO use for their bridges?
  2. Based on the answer to 1 above, what would be good types of paint to use?  I do have an airbrush, so either an airbrush-compatible paint or an aerosol type would be acceptable.

The bridges won't be handled once they're installed in the layout, so resistance to flaking from handling isn't really an issue here.  I just want my two full bridge spans to look less patchworked, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Well, due to the lack of replies here, I phoned KATO USA this morning to ask them where I could find out what type of plastic their bridge spans are molded from.  I was told (a) they don't know, (b) there's no one to ask either, because KATO Japan people don't know.  He guessed they might be styrene, and suggested I just try some different paints to see what works.

So that was real helpful.  :dontknow:

I don't know what material kato uses, but considering what others use, it sould be either styrene or abs. A water based acrylic airbrush paint should work or at least it won't damage the plastic. (the worst thing that could happen is that it comes off in flakes when sratched)

brill27mcb

Did you look at the box or the Hobby Search website listing for this bridge? Japanese manufacturers list the materials from which the product is made. I have seen this on Tomix packaging - PS, ABS and so on.

Rich K.

I took a quick look at the package but didn't see it marked on there; I'll look more closely when I get home.  I can't check Hobby Search at the moment, I'm getting server error 500 from their web site.  I'll try them later as well.  Thanks for the tips though.

So it appears that neither the KATO packaging for the bridge spans, not Hobby Search's listings as far as I can see, list what material(s) the bridges are made of.  However, a small drop of polystyrene cement in a hidden spot of one bridge *did* soften the surface under it, so I'd say it's a safe bet they're styrene.  In which case I imagine Testor's spray paints will work for what I want.  At least those I know how to operate; I haven't tried out my airbrush yet.

So it appears that neither the KATO packaging for the bridge spans, not Hobby Search's listings as far as I can see, list what material(s) the bridges are made of.  However, a small drop of polystyrene cement in a hidden spot of one bridge *did* soften the surface under it, so I'd say it's a safe bet they're styrene.  In which case I imagine Testor's spray paints will work for what I want.  At least those I know how to operate; I haven't tried out my airbrush yet.

Chances are it is injection molded plastic. 

If you are trying to maintain detail then use your air brush (double action a +). You cannot easily control the volume of paint with a spray can so you need to learn to control it with stroke speed. Problem is once its sprayed on then its on. 

With the airbrush you can increase the air pressure and atomize the paint. This will allow you to apply a few coats without blotting out the detail. Also applying a primer base will allow you to match the color diffference with the plastic. 

I always use this as an example to the detail that the airbrush perserves. The plasic of the model is orange yet the yellow color still holds true. Zoom in on the doors and you can still see the handles and mesh screen.

gallery_153_16_1357005263_790.jpg

Edited by inobu

Hmmmm, pretty nice. Guess I should learn how to use that airbrush sooner rather than later.