High Rise / Skyscraper building kits ??

domino

I've finished phase 2 of my Kato office buildings kitbashed. They are extra base parts from the high rises I'm going to be building.

Here's some finished photos..

To see the build up and stages of this browse this link...

4421598101_64164c871d_b.jpg

4422364048_3934294b45_b.jpg

4422363526_765c918c7b_b.jpg

4421598667_82bc1747e3_b.jpg

4422365702_4d52878f0b_b.jpg

4421599867_0dd1daf536_b.jpg

If you see the odd gap it's because the tops and sections pieces aren't glued down yet. I'm waiting for lights. I'll start the next phase in the next month or so.

Cheers, Bob

• Like 2

Bob - In your kitbashing do you ever create situations or even funny scenes? I'm thinking of the photo that Darren posted a while ago with the workmen boxing themselves in as they were fixing a small parking lot.

Also if you haven't already, how about starting a new thread in Personal Projects, I think members will have a lot of questions on the methods you use for "kitbashing", I know I would. :icon_thumright:

Bernard,

I'd love to do a thread in personal projects. As for doing funny scenes, I'll have to start doing that. I did get these funny little people for a funny kitbash to do soon.

Caution... X rated material...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4388874595_93220e58ff_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4389642384_7031796f11_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4388873537_cbd0952313_b.jpg

I've got a bunch of different Noch Sexy scenes packets...pretty funny. I may make a Excort Service Business. Other than that, the other things I have plans for is window washers cleaning windows of a skyscraper and other things like that. But I'll have to take some time to think of something more humorous. Thanks for the tip. :D My next building, I'll make something funny in it. :D

interesting, i just saw a picture of the star house box up on plazajapan. it comes assembled except for all the balconies on the end. thise you have to clip off the sprues and assemble. from the angle of the picture i could not see a manufacturer in english. mine are in transit some where in sal...

http://tinyurl.com/ygljt8l

cheers

jeff

interesting, i just saw a picture of the star house box up on plazajapan. it comes assembled except for all the balconies on the end. thise you have to clip off the sprues and assemble. from the angle of the picture i could not see a manufacturer in english. mine are in transit some where in sal...

Jeff...mine arrived the other day, and I finally opened it up and took a look at them yesterday.  I wrote up a quick 'review' of what they are for my blog, which I should get posted shortly.  I was struck by something you said, in that they 'come assembled'.  This is true, and it surprised me as I thought they were going to be kits!  They're going to be a lot of work to customize, though, i can tell you that much!

P1130208.jpg

Quin,

I thought they were a kit as well. maybe this is not the same series as the first aoshima apartment buildings. the detailing does not look as good. perhaps they are doing a two pronged approach of some assembled, less detailed and some more detailed kits? did aoshima's name show up on the box anywhere? any manufacturer name?

cheers

jeff

I thought they were a kit as well. maybe this is not the same series as the first aoshima apartment buildings. the detailing does not look as good. perhaps they are doing a two pronged approach of some assembled, less detailed and some more detailed kits? did aoshima's name show up on the box anywhere? any manufacturer name?

Tramway is a different company than aoshima. I think Tramway is another name for Dauphin Ltd which i understood to be a small shop.

Watch carefully when you click on the link!!

http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~tramway/

As far as i could tell dauphin is just a reseller/importer, not a manufacturer, but maybe they are now contracting their own products.

jeff

Yes, these "tramway" starhouses are completley different from the Aoshima buildings.  Not only in terms of overall quality, but packaging and everything else seems to indicate no relation at all.  I don't see any similar logos or anything on the boxes either.  In terms of quality,  I'd put these in the Tomytec quality category, except at least Tomytec has better details!  :lipssealed:  I'm not too disappointed, becuase I'll be doing a lot of modification to this.  There are more photos on my blog BTW.

I think all the speculation came from the name on the release of the star house containing "suburban Landscape series number 2" and this was right after the aoshima apartment buildings came out with the large #1 on the end of the box... also both were apartment buildings.

its interesting that Permil had upgrades available for each of these kits when they hit the market.

still interesting

cheers

jeff

I started spray painting the disassembled pieces.  I was originally going to paint the window frames black....but once I had them painted, they looked too much like prison bars!  On that note...given the small size of these apartments, and the 'bars' on the window, maybe this would be a fine 15 story jail!

I was thinking the same thing adding glass instead of the bars.  I've ordered 3 kits myself. I'm going to try my best to completely change mine too. I've been buying lots of new buildings and selling some older ones.

Jeff, sorry for the late reply. Yes that was mine. It was a model I built oh..about 15 years ago. For what it is, it's not bad. I just went through a huge clearing spree. I've sold so many older models and kits it's crazy. Starting from scratch on a lot.

Anyways it sold for almost 30 dollars so I'm happy.

Jerry, I need to browse your blog again, it's been so long. Cheers, Bob

just a note that curt got some more pictures of his layout buildings being done by cmr!

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/photos/kurtslayout/index.html

article

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/curtlayout.html

been interesting watching how they go about making their models. helps to have all sorts of great toys like laser cutters and the like!

cheers

jeff

Jeff,

I have seen some of these pics on CMR Website. Is Curt paying CMR for custom buildings? I've contacted Jeff at CMR oh about a month ago on getting some custom stuff done. It's not cheap let me tell you.

Anyways thanks for posting this link.

Cool!

Jeff,

I have seen some of these pics on CMR Website. Is Curt paying CMR for custom buildings? I've contacted Jeff at CMR oh about a month ago on getting some custom stuff done. It's not cheap let me tell you.

Anyways thanks for posting this link.

Cool!

curt is having cmr do most of the layout framing, track, buildings, base scenery, and structures (mix of commercial and custom stuff). he is doing the detailing and finishing the scenery in the more rural areas. so probably getting a better package price than just a building alone! see his article about it in the link below on the jrm site.

it aint cheap though!

cheers

jeff

quinntopia

That's just crazy! Wow. That must've been a really competition, becuase the rationality on that left a long time before it ended!

And in the spirit of this thread, to2Leo was the the 'first' to break the news on some really cool new structures from Kato over on this thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,2979.0/topicseen.html

For modern, urban modellers, I don't know if you can ask for much more from Kato! Wow!