High Rise / Skyscraper building kits ??

domino

you actually see it in hotel design. stayed in ones that have the rooms in the high rise section then a lower section in the back for facilities, conf rooms and then the pool on the roof of it. always seems odd to look down like that onto the pool... dont know if its common in japan, have seen a lot of tennis, volleyball and badminton courts on the roofs of japanese highrises!

cheers

jeff

That is the first time I ever saw a pool on a high-rise structure. It's a nice model.

This is a photo of the pool at the top of the Park Hyatt in Tokyo (the Lost in Translation hotel).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2228/2455107432_246a084ab4_b.jpg

It is on the 47th floor and is possibly the nicest pool in the world.  Although it is indoors, it is under one of the huge glass pyramids at the top of the building.  Do a search for it on flickr as there are some amazing photos of it.

We've been starting to see some of these in n-scale.  If one takes the time to paint & weather, they look awesome.  We haven't built one (yet)

http://www.custommodelrailroads.com/

catalog link:  http://cmrtrain.com/CMR_kits_2009D.pdf

one of the jrm members is having these folks construct his home layout and just is starting to get some buildings built by them. he is going to start a series of small articles on the layout construction on the jrm site soon, ill keep you all posted. the pictures of the first building i saw looked fantastic. curt is then going in and going to detail and put people w/in the buildings as well as hyper detail the exteriors with lots of signs and such to make it really japanese! he has supplied them with photos of the actual buildings he wants to model from the area he use to hang out in when he was living in japan a while back.

cheers

jeff

CaptOblivious

We've been starting to see some of these in n-scale.  If one takes the time to paint & weather, they look awesome.  We haven't built one (yet)

http://www.custommodelrailroads.com/

catalog link:  http://cmrtrain.com/CMR_kits_2009D.pdf

one of the jrm members is having these folks construct his home layout and just is starting to get some buildings built by them. he is going to start a series of small articles on the layout construction on the jrm site soon, ill keep you all posted. the pictures of the first building i saw looked fantastic. curt is then going in and going to detail and put people w/in the buildings as well as hyper detail the exteriors with lots of signs and such to make it really japanese! he has supplied them with photos of the actual buildings he wants to model from the area he use to hang out in when he was living in japan a while back.

cheers

jeff

Indeed! There are some images of the first of their buildings for the layout here:

http://cmrtrain.com/current.html

Very impressive.

here is a very interesting custom hack of the atlas high rise. great use of the material to come up with a much more interesting looking building than the standard boxes!

Wow, that was a cool bash on that building!  And it went for $177!  That's quite a premium from the original retail for these kits!

qwertyaardvark

Whenever I get bored, I do stalk the buildings section of Yahoo japan and save the pictures of buildings I find interesting, in case i ever get into scratch building highrise/skyscrapers and want to replicate the buildings I saw online.

I know this might hurt hearing for those who have plans concerning Tokyo station coughJRchiisaicough as much as it hurt me not being able to buy it at the time, but I remember seeing a complete N-scale Tokyo station building on Yahoo auctions a while back. It was *very* impressive as it was scratch built, but the shipping of said model would have been outright prohibitive. x_x

hey thanks for the tip, thats a great place to look for ideas for structures and techniques! amazing how many different scratch builds there are up there on yahoo.jp for highrises! hey but its japan! couldnt have a good japanese city scene w/o one!

cheers

jeff

Whenever I get bored, I do stalk the buildings section of Yahoo japan and save the pictures of buildings I find interesting, in case i ever get into scratch building highrise/skyscrapers and want to replicate the buildings I saw online

Qwerty...I do the same thing!  The more you study these photos, the more the techniques they use start to become apparant.

I just bid on a building using Shopping Mall Japan, but didn't win (outbid by 500Y at 5am PST so its gonna be tough for me to win without watching closely) as I kind of want to get my hands on one (specially the buildings that at least a couple of guys there seem to make) to see what their method is.

Not much joy here with larger buildings, just the old atlas buildings. they are now horribly expensive when the do pop up on ebay.

there is the heljan/kibri hospital/apartment high rise that is listed as HO, but if it is each floor is about 5.5' tall! maybe for little people, so works well with N scale to get good sized walls. the first floor is more HO scale with the doors.

I have seen a couple of chaps on ebay with various scratch built large sky scrapers but few really great quality.

there is the chap of flickr with a lot of high rises he has kitbashed. not sure how many are actually his as he has had some of dougs photos mixed in there in the past, but a great resource for ideas from various kits. warning if you go this direction you get into some big bucks fast with the number of kits you will need to buy to start tricking out buildings! dpm, tomix, kato, and greenmax can all be kitbashed larger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55063726@N00/collections/72157612768739708/

finally you might think of scratch building your own. the cool thing about many modern skyscrapers is they have little in the way of external details. if you start with clear or tinted acetate for the walls then apply small strips of styrene and/or scoring with a matte knife vertically or horizontally you can create the main external details you need. the atlas kits only external detail is small scores in the plastic. this approach is a lot cheaper than trying to kitbash kits! if you use this technique in the back and then some kitbashed in the foreground it will help mask less detail maybe in a scratch built behind.

cheers

jeff

Jeff,

I'm really tired of people trying to lay claim to the work I've done. Not one of these buildings Doug has done, though certain people have done their best to discredit me and my work it's really sad. Thankfully I have met some amazing people and friends such as Jerry on here, who also knows that not one of these photo sets on this page is Doug's work. Crazy. I've been building my models since middle school. I'm currently 39 years old and live in Victoria Canada. I love the hobby and love meeting new people like Jerry, and others people I've met on other forums. It's an awesome hobby and not once have I spread discontent or nasty comments to anyone. I follow a belief of helping each other out and this is why I share my photos with everyone. I'm not at least offended by someone asking me where I get my models, or how I've built them. It's been a fun venture and really it's only been in the last few years that my knowledge of modeling and architectural knowledge has really grown.

Here's an over all view of most of my city models, though there's a lot that aren't photographed an hardly any of my factories, industrial and steel production models are photographed either. This is just the table where I'm storing most of my models While I'm adding to them. I'll be building my layout in the next few years. I'm thankful for people like Jerry and others who have helped me a lot and in return I'm thankful I've been helpful to him. In turn both our layouts will benifit greatly from our co operation as well as the co operation we've experienced with other enthusiastic urban modelers.

Here's my main photo models...currently :D Again not all are in this photo.

Also there's a lot structures in this photo that need finishing too...so sad...so much work...but it's fun right! :D

4286338198_721f44b051_b.jpg

Here is my latest model I've built. It's a kitbash of a model power building and the store frontage from a DPM Merchantile kit, with a Kato office building interior, and a Walther's Roof top kit for air conditioners etc. I did the weathering with polyscale paints, and used card stock for blinds, and blair mills signs.

4357224545_428e004a6e_b.jpg

Anyways cool forum this is. I'll keep active..Jerry nice to see you on another site buddy! :D I've got a lot of reading and browsing to do in the next week!

Cheers all, Bob

Bob, I always love looking at your photos!  I have to say, that new "Vero" (?) building looks really great...even amongst a lot of other great buildings! 

finally you might think of scratch building your own. the cool thing about many modern skyscrapers is they have little in the way of external details. if you start with clear or tinted acetate for the walls then apply small strips of styrene and/or scoring with a matte knife vertically or horizontally you can create the main external details you need. the atlas kits only external detail is small scores in the plastic. this approach is a lot cheaper than trying to kitbash kits! if you use this technique in the back and then some kitbashed in the foreground it will help mask less detail maybe in a scratch built behind.

cheers

jeff

Jeff...I was just thinking about this post-but couldn't remember where it was-earlier today.  I think it was this feedback and sites like Bob's that really inspired me to attempt bigger things!  Thanks Jeff!

Bob,

doug has claimed that some of the photos on the site were his, i took him at his word on this, but should have verified it myself before doing the post about it, sorry. doug has gotten photos nicked and reposted in the past as he has been posting photos of buildings he built for a long while, so i just took his word for it. i know others have posted my photos on their sites w/o credit so i can understand the issue. sorry i dont want to get into the middle of that so i have edited my post to remove that comment. wrong on my part to do so in the first place, ill let you and doug straighten this out.

Your buildings are great! wonderful expansion of the smaller stuff into some real cityscapes! when i get more time i really want to get into going higher with the buildings like this!

cheers

jeff

Jeff, thanks for your reply, I admit there are some of Dougs on a photo set in on my flickr account but not on this link. It's seprate. It's also titled, N scale photos from around the net. There's a few of his, photo of sales on Yahoo auctions, other sites etc. I post a comment that these photos are not mine. In fact this is where I've met a lot of my n scale buddies. The link above though is completely my work with exception there is one photoset in there that is called buildings that were sold on Japan Yahoo Auctions. I believe Jerry just bought a building off there. Grrr so jealous hahahaaha. I am still waiting my reply from that website by the way.

That all said it seems we are at oposite ends of the spectrum right now. I'm trying to build or buy some smaller lower density buildings for my city. I just sold off a large 25 building lot of buildings on ebay. Old ones I had made when I was in high school. I was unhappy with the over all quality of them. So I sold them and now I'm looking at rebuilding some of them from new kits. And I've just found some new artitec buildings I've fallen in love with. But they are only facade kits so I'll have to build the rest of the building for them.

4350756372_95ef983acd_o.jpg

Jerry here's a large photo of my Vero high rise.

4273188820_44438a4a53_b.jpg

I just inquired about buying more of these buildings in a lot. They are now sold by Auhagen and come with different balconies. But I can use the tops from the old models I didn't use and make a completely different looking high rise with them.

as the old vero kits looked when I got them... I'd use these tops as I have two of them.

3291599448_a7d0a8aed2_b.jpg

Thanks again for the compliments Jerry and Jeff.

Bob,

Ok now i see where all this came from.

Reposting of others photos even if you put info up to address that does get many folks upset, so i can understand where doug's problem started. I have had my stuff used else where w/o folks asking with and with out credit and it does irk me some. I just tend never  to do it and only link to other places or if really necessary i ask permission to use something from someone else site an give lots of credits and a link to pay back. that just makes sure i never get into a problem situation with anyone.

i realize not everyone feels the same way about the net and content put up there. i come from a multimedia production background so rights, credits, use, etc has always been a really important issue with my work and those i work with so i tend to be very careful about it.

your work is wonderful and given me many ideas on doing tall buildings. really want to do some kitbashing like this in the future when i get some time!

have you gotten into doing any scratch built glass wall type high rises?

cheers

jeff