Hello from New Zealand

Eurostar25

Eurostar25

I'm a kiwi and living in New Zealand, but have visited Japan 3 times and been fortunate to ride on the rail network. I like the diversity and the punctuality of the network in Japan, there's always something on the move!

I have NZ models in 'S' scale (1:64) but am constantly on the move so don't have a layout for these models so they are boxed away. However during my trips to Japan I've managed to pick up an N Gauge 700 series Shinkansen 16 car set, and also a 500 series 8 car set. On my last trip I managed to get hold of some freight cars and a EF210 loco. I'm slowly gathering pieces together so that one day I can set up a layout based in or around Tokyo.

This has been a great forum for information on Japanese models and I look forward to being able to run some of these trains in the future!

I'm particularly interested in one of the layouts in the KATO model shop in Tokyo, I went to the store 2 years ago but didn't have time to get back there on my last visit, however I was fortunate enough to visit their Osaka shop. Oh if money grew on trees!

Welcome to the forums!

It's a nice place for extensive information on N/ HO Scale and Japan Rail ~

Oh if money grew on trees!

Yes, especially if we're model builders. N scale ain't very cheap ... Some sat Model Train is the greatest hobby in the world, yet it is the most expensive...

Eurostar25

Thanks guys, it sure is, NZ models particularly so as there are no ready to run true to scale models so everything gets kit or scratch built. The thing that drew me to the Japanese models is that there seems to be a model for almost everything - you just need to shop around. I visited numerous hobby shops in Osaka and Tokyo and even the range of second hand gear is great.

The only down side I had last time was at the Aeon mall complex just down the road from where I was staying in Osaka had removed their railways section from the hobby shop in the mall. On the previous visit I spent ages there going over all the railway gear they had looking for bargains but this time to no avail. However it's Japan and there are plenty more places to visit!

Welcome from a fellow NZer. Where abouts are you located? I'm in little old Masterton, secretly wishing that one day I'll wake up to find a Furico 283 has replaced our Wairarapa train :-)

--Michael

Eurostar25

Haha! Small world, I'm up in the foggy Waikato in Hamilton... We're lucky to see one passenger train every other day up here...

Welcome to the forum Eurostar25!

Guys, may I ask you is there any model train in any gauge of the Hungarian/Ganz EM series EMU which run around Wellington? I was lucky to travel with it a few years ago when I was in New Zealand, so it would be great to have it in model.

Yes we are fairly lucky with our Wairarapa trains, easily the best long distance commuter trains in nz, though there isn't exactly much competition! Still pales when compared to the level and frequency of service three various JRs offer. Look forward to seeing some shots of your 500 series, very cool train that one!

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Eurostar25

This is a clip of my 700 series, I must get one of the 500.

I was lucky enough to ride one in Japan 2 weeks ago when it was running on a Kodama service. Beautiful and sleek machine compared to our ancient diesels!

• Like 1

Oh wow! Nothing nicer than a 16-car full length shinkansen!

Yap the 700 series are getting off the tracks faster and getting harder to spot any... It's always the usual culprits N700 flying around now, with the occasional 500 or 700-7000 Railstar... I rode the 700 series back in 2012 and it was nice!

Eurostar25

Yeah I noticed that when I visited 2 weeks ago. My first trip was on a Hikari rail star but unfortunately those Tomix models are difficult to find now they are out of production...

Welcome Scott. I live in Tauranga. Did you get to the Convention at Easter? I was running the NZ120 layout but I was so tempted to put my Doctor Yellow on. Shame I never brought it with me! I last visited Japan in 1985 and would love to go back as we have several friends there.

Eurostar25

Gidday Beakaboy, no unfortunately I was working that entire weekend, I went to the last one in Christchurch which was a good show too. I got to the Hamilton show at the gardens and saw the Trackgang NZ120 one at that show. The NZ120 scene is really taking off at the moment. Such a good variety of shells available from Shapeways.