Japan travel tips

Thanks to all that are making my first trip tp Japan an easy one.

Few more questions for those aussie travellers-

How much money can be taken into Japan?

Did you switch your currency before or after arriving at Japan?

very rough itinerary...

OCT 16 - fly in Narita, stay at airport hotel

OCT 17 - travel to Shinjuku, afternoon free

OCT 18 - kato shop/hobby shops/Akihabara

OCT 19 - Toyko sightseeing/Harajuku

OCT 20 - Hakone area/Tozen rail/odakyu romancecar/ropeway/lake cruise

OCT 21 - travel to Kyoto, afternoon free

OCT 22 - Randen/Sagona romantic railway

OCT 23 - Kyoto/Osaka sightseeing

OCT 24 - travel to Hakata, afternoon free

OCT 25 - Kumamoto sightseeing

OCT 26 - SL Hitoyoshi/Shenpei/Hayato no Kaze

OCT 27 - Hakata sightseeing

OCT 28 - travel to Narita, fly out

nothing is finalized yet, so may add or delete days.

Edited by katoftw

very rough itinerary...

OCT 16 - fly in Narita, stay at airport hotel

OCT 17 - travel to Shinjuku, afternoon free

OCT 23 - Kyoto/Osaka sightseeing

nothing is finalized yet, so may add or delete days.

OCT 17 - fly in Narita, travel to Shinjuku

OCT 23 - travel to Nagoya and return for JRC Museum

flights and hotels are booked.

Question about the Narita Express.  Website says internationals can book in advance even before collecting JRP.  But then when attempting to book it, says reversation cancelled if not picked up by 9pm day before.  Solutions???  Am I missing something?

Nice ~ Can I ask how many days Railpass would you be purchasing? I counted 12 days, but the first 4-5 days seems ok without railpass since you can get a Metro pass to move around Tokyo, and buy the Odakyu Pass for the Romance Car.

The fifth day will be a challenge, since it will likely be a shinkansen to Kyoto. That means you'll activate the railpass on fifth day; i.e. 21 Oct, but you'll need to purchase tickets on  28th Oct to travel back to Tokyo from Hakata if you'll carrying the 7 day pass. Of course, the 14 day pass would not be a problem at all.

Sorry I don't have much information about the NEX, but I think it runs pretty frequent, something like 1 hour per train? That means even if you just arrive you can actually collect your railpass and do your reservation for the next train, provided that's seats.

Hello katoftw,

Just a few brief comments:

1. Harajuku does not have cosplay every Sunday.  I have been there on occasions when there are no cosplay fans to be seen.  If your intent was to see the cosplay then I suggest a backup plan.  Perhaps a walk through the Heian Shrine?

2. The Sagona railway might be worth the view, but to me your limited time in Kyoto could be much better spent doing other things.

3. I trust you are using http://www.japan-guide.com/

4. In Kyoto, I suggest getting the two-day city bus pass from Kyoto Station.  Just Google "Kyoto Bus Navi" for more info.  There is also a single day pass.  The bus passes are valid for 24 hours from the time of  issue, so organise that first thing in the morning.

5. Alternate to Sagona railway: take bus 205 to Daitokuji Temple, then Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), then Ryoanji Temple.  After visiting each of these, walk south to Keifuku Railway.  Take Keifuku west on Keifuku Arashiyama Line to Arashiyama Station.  Upstairs from the station is a large Japanese restaurant, which is reasonably priced.  If you started this plan around 8:00am you should be arriving for lunch around 1:00pm.  After lunch enjoy the nearby Tenryuji Temple and Bamboo Gardens.  Enter the Bamboo Gardens from the rear gate of the temple.  The map on this page shows a very small arrow for the way in: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3913.html  The walk from the temple gate through the Bamboo Gardens and back to JR Saga Arashiyama station will take around 30 minutes ... perhaps longer if you are camera-friendly.  The trip back to Kyoto will take 15 minutes.  You should arrive back at Kyoto at around 5:00pm.

6. There is also a lovely round trip to Kurama and returning via Ohara.  I can provide detail if you wish.

7. You are staying in Kyoto but have no plan to visit the steam museum???

8. I have an enjoyable day itinerary for Kumamoto, if you are interested.

9. I would recommend a day trip to Nagasaki instead of Fukuoka (Hakata).  The trams are very enjoyable, as is a trip on 787系 ... especially on Green Car.  Nagasaki Station is a great place to buy cakes and desserts.

10.  Level 10 above Hakata Station is full of restaurants.  You'll have trouble choosing what to eat.

Enjoy your trip!!!

• Like 1

Reserve the SL Hitoyoshi when you exchange your rail pass voucher. It is an all-reserved train and can sell out very quickly.

There is a nice railway museum in Mojiko, a short ride from Kokura station. Easy to reach from Hakata.

I stayed in Hakata at the Hakata Miyako hotel one block from the station. Good breakfest, both western and japanese.

Recommended. No problem to visit Kumamoto and run the SL Hitoyoshi (personally I would go to Nagasaki instead of Kumamoto).

If you eat at level 10 above Hakata station, go up on the roof where you will find a mini railway and a railway shrine. From the top roof goods views over the city.

Ochanomizu

Hello Mr katoftw,

The museum that Mr Kitayama refers to is here: http://www.kisekigo.com/jrmus/mojiko.html

Mr E6 offers sound advice in using the Kyoto bus.  With your limited time, walking between destinations will waste time and result in grumpy, tired tourists ... ;)  Please be sure to get the Bus Navi map when you buy the tickets.  You are entitled to one map per ticket so please feel free to ask, however the staff will probably only offer a single map in the first instance.

I also recommend Nagasaki day trip: Atomic Bomb Museum, tram rides, Nagasaki Peace Park, Dejima.  I must warn you that Nagasaki is extremely busy on October 7-9 each year for the Nagasaki Kunchi Festival.  If you are travelling to Nagasaki on these days you may find the only seats on Limited Express services are Green Car, with the ordinary reserved seats being purchased months in advance.  You will also find it nearly impossible to get seats on Yufuin-no-Mori and Aso-Boy during the week either side of these dates.

Thanks for all the advice.  As a posted earlier, it is all rough.  The dates and locations are all set in stone, but everything else is able to be changed.

Starting early isn't an issue as the childern will be up and ready by 7am. haha I wish they would sleep in.  So 8am starts are fine.  Was just trying to stay away from peak 7-9am/5-7pm travel times.  Or not really a concern if reserving seating days in advance?

Seeing cosplay isn't a big deal in Harajuku.  If is doesn't happen, it is Toyko.  Plenty of other things to do and see in Toyko.  I'm only scratching the surface of Japan with a 12 day trip.

Kyoto steam museum - I didn't even know it exsisted. haha.  Looks small and could be done in half a day. Yes/no? Could a sneek it in between hotel check in 2pm and dinner time?  The hotel is about a 15 mins walk away and we'll have been on the shinkansen for 3 hours prior.

I was gonna get the Randen up to those northern temples.  But if the bus is better, then I'll do that.  The original plan was Omiya up to Kitano/Toji-in/Omuro stops for the temple on the Randen.  Then to Arashiyama for the foot bath springs, see the bridge, see the temple and gardens.  Then to Randen Saga and walk to Torokko saga.  See the model railway,  do a return trip on the sagano, and back to Omiya on the Randen.

I may just break it all up over 2 days.  As Nagoya for 1 day seems a waste a little.  Lots to do there also, so might save Nagoya and attractions for another trip.

Seems Nagasaki is a goer.  Must be good if a few are recommending it.  Sweets and deserts are always good. haha We'll probably get to Hakata from Kyoto by noon/1pm, so probably can do Hakata sightseeing then.  And the hotel is only 3 minutes from the station close to Miyako hotel.  Which will free up a day for Nagasaki.

If anyone has a Kumamoto trip plan available, that would be great.  Trams and temples are a must please.

Edited by katoftw

Hi katoftw:

Just wondering if you're having a 7-day pass or a 14--day pass?

Also, I attach herewith an English Kyoto city Bus Navi map. It's really easy to use for its extensive network and the places of interest are marked out clearly. I made a 1-day tour using this bus map and the 500yen all day bus pass to visit most of the temples and attractions inside Kyoto itself. Please feel free to use this map for your navi.

Useful thread for me too since i'm also planning my trip. Seems Nagasaki is a go too since highly recommended. How about Beppu? I really like the hot springs and sand bath there and of course the Yufuin no mori train... I can only do either Beppu or Nagasaki as a day trip... Sorry I am writing this here so that we can share which is a better option.

Your thread getting me excited to further plan mine further!  :)

Kyoto City Bus Map.pdf

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

14 day JR pass for us.  2A + 1C, the 3yo and 1yo will ride on laps/free.

Beppu I would love to do also, but I can only do one.  The hotsprings and sandbaths don't interest me.  And probably too difficult with kids that get bored in 15 minute if not entertained anyway.

Hello Mr katoftw,

Please allow me to answer your recent questions and offer additional advice.

Firstly, it seems you have small children.  Even without children I do not recommend walking between temples, or walking to the railway museum.  After a week or so, your feet will be tired and it will spoil the rest of your trip.  Little feet, even more so.  On all occasions I recommend taking public transport as much as possible.

When making long day trips, such as Hakone, or Nagasaki, I recommend skipping the hotel breakfast and purchasing several bento boxes at the station and eating on the train.  This is a good option if you have reserved seats.  It may not be suitable for small children unaccustomed to Japanese cuisine though.

Once you leave Tokyo the peak hour commute is not so bad.  Day trips from Tokyo might require you to brave Shinjuku or Tokyo Station during peak hour.  This is something I would avoid with toddlers.  Also, with young children, I expect you will need to be returning to your hotel around 4:00pm.

With three young children have you considered Tokyo Disneyland?  If the weather is bad this will be a better option than a rainy day at Hakone with no prospect of seeing Fujisan.  I suggest this as a backup plan.

Akihabara also has many toy shops that will be of interest to children.

There is a PlaRail shop in Tokyo Station.

Have you thought of visiting the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo?  If so, you must reserve your tickets between 2 and 3 months in advance.  They are non-transferable non-refundable.  Children would enjoy.  You also get to see a Ghibli animation that only screens in the museum.

Kyoto Steam Museum ... yes, an afternoon is ideal.  Perhaps wife can relax in the hotel with the youngest?  A short steam train ride is available in the museum.  You are free to walk around in the roundhouse.  Some of the locos are accessible and steps and gantries have been erected to make it easier for children.

Beppu is longer travelling than Nagasaki.  I always enjoy Beppu: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html

Also, Osaka is quite near to Kyoto.  A day trip to Osaka would be very enjoyable.  I would argue that the world's best aquarium is located in Osaka.  How does a huge rotunda tank with a whale shark take your fancy?  Universal Studios also located in Osaka.  I think interesting for children.

My top three things for Kumamoto:

1. Kumamoto Castle;
  2. Suizenji-Koen, a garden that symbolizes the Tokaido Road
  3. Hosokawa Gyoubutei, an old samurai house behind the castle
  • Like 2

Even though it is months away.  My 5yo has mastered konnichiwa.  And I was watching Wangan Midnight today and a scene where they are crossing the Rainbow bridge on the Shuto Expressway, and my 3yo says, "Totoko, we are going there.  What is that?"

What is that is the Cosmo Clock ferris wheel in the background.

p.s. Totoko = Tokyo (close enough for a 3yo right?)

Even though it is months away.  My 5yo has mastered konnichiwa.  And I was watching Wangan Midnight today and a scene where they are crossing the Rainbow bridge on the Shuto Expressway, and my 3yo says, "Totoko, we are going there.  What is that?"

What is that is the Cosmo Clock ferris wheel in the background.

p.s. Totoko = Tokyo (close enough for a 3yo right?)

可愛い!

Excitement is definitely building up!

Mine has already started 2 months ago with 10 months more to go to the actual trip~~~ :P

It's always good to plan early in case you might missed out on something and regret it only when you return home...

Must be the Cosmo Clock 21 in Yokohama.

Yes it is.  His eyes would've pick up the bright rainbow coloured wheel in the distance.  Doesn't look like the Dome City wheel.

Edited by katoftw

That's a Statue of Liberty there?? Interesting!

And there's a Starbucks sign in front of it.  True atmosphere of NYC :)

lurkingknight

don't go to the aquarium in osaka on a sunday... 

DSCN0998.JPG

any other day would be better. lol.

I think the aquarium was my only one moment that I felt like panicking from the claustrophobia from being so packed with people. I also don't have a claustrophobia issue... but the crush of people that day I went was just nuts. Might be frustrating for the kids if they aren't used to so many people. There was no walking once inside.. it was more of a shuffling so you wouldn't get steamrolled. The only thing that saved me was that I was on average a bit taller than most people there so I could at least see.

That kind of experience probably wouldn't be a good one for smaller kids who aren't used to it.

Edited by lurkingknight

Yes a number of friends in the aquarium design biz that have consulted there were always shocked at the densities of people admitted. Really takes all the fun out of a visit!

Jeff

Nick_Burman

Hello Mr katoftw,

The Popondetta train shop is on Level 8.  Take the main lifts to the 8th floor and it is the 2nd or 3rd shop on your left as you exit.  It is a small but friendly shop with plenty of stock.  I'm not sure about their English skill but a very tall staff, he can speak some English.

Also, if you would like to enjoy the best sushi in Japan (that is my opinion), then please ask your hotel to make a reservation at Tatsumi: http://www.tatsumi-sushi.com/  I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.  The restaurant is easy to get to via subway.

Language was not much of an issue when I did my shopping. When I bought my C56 at Popondetta I just got a sheet of paper, wrote "C56? Y?", said sumimasen and handed the sheet with an o kudasai to round it up. The attendant got the gist of it immediately ducked under the counter, fished a loco then ran it through the till to show me the price. Ditto for the freight cars I bought there...I jotted down the reference numbers from the display window and handed it to the attendant.

Cheers NB

• Like 2