Triple crossover in HO...posting here because it may interest N scale modelers

john_ibw

I came across this picture on FB. Apparently its call a triple crossover. Made in Indonesia by some dude in HO...

post-487-0-01460500-1400599147_thumb.jpg

couple of triple crossovers such as the ones below make the configuration above...i thought it was cool...there is also a video on this dude's FB page...

post-487-0-96453800-1400599187_thumb.jpg

Can we use a set of N turnouts and create the same triple configuration? 

• Like 1

A tomix finetrack version:

post-1969-0-92727300-1400600988_thumb.png

It has 8 coils and each route has to set 2, 3 or 4 coils. The turnouts are power routing and fully isolating, so setting a route will connect the right circuits and disconnect everything else. For control, i would either use a diode matrix with simple push buttons or 8 pole push buttons (2 poles for each coil that has to be set), or simple buttons with relays. 7 routes are possible, so 7 buttons are needed.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 2

All I can say is holy cow (or should I say holy spaghetti ). Sure am glad I'm keeping my layout simple with a double crossover and a couple of 3 ways as the most complex turnouts.

Dave

Martijn Meerts

Don't think this is a common setup, or at least, not in Japan ;)

It should be quite doable to scratch build using maybe Peco turnouts as a starting point.

Actually this type of turnout setup is used where there is only one express track for a normally double tracked line with side platforms. Trains alternate between the express and the normal tracks depending on stop patterns. It's a bit dangerous, since the express track is bidirectional, but most of the time this is solved by having express trains only in one direction depending on the time of the day. Triple tracked operation was used for example on the New York 3rd avenue elevated and afaik there were examples on the chicago elevated too.

The japanese strategy is usually to separate directional traffic, so they usually build 2 full express tracks when there is a need. This lowers the chance of head on collisions.

Mudkip Orange

Three-track is pretty common throughout NYC, although a lot of it is not in revenue service at the moment.

Several of the Chicago METRA radials are likewise three... the center track doubles as a passing track + freight track for peak-direction unit trains.

Mudkip Orange

I don't think the Japanese preference against 3-track has to do with fear of head-ons so much as it does with their desire for simplified trackwork. Your typical multitrack Japanese line is only signaled for one direction on one track and the crossovers are minimal... contrast that with European/US practice where every track is bidirectional and the approaches to major stations are a thicket of double-slips.

• Like 1

From a prototype perspective, it is probably out-of-place for a Japanese layout. But, it sure looks good and a candidate to model...

KVP, nice work with the Tomix...thanks!