JR electrification maps?

Is there anyplace online that has maps showing which lines of the various JR companies are/aren't electrified? I've looked around a bit, but haven't had much luck.

Good question, though I always thoguht it would be easier to find a map of the lines that are not electrified. Jeff, might be able to recall this better than I can, but I want to say there was a similar entry made on the Yahoo forums, J-Trains I think last fall asking for an electrified map. I have seen books on Aamzon.co.jp of entire system wide railmaps that indicate electric and non-electrified lines.

OK--I can at least look at Amazon and see what's available....thanks!

Sorry, I couldn't answer better than that off the top of my head. I was hoping Jeff would pop on and remember the Yahoo thread.

No, please don't apologize--I appreciate the help!

I'm still digging online, but haven't found any useful maps.

I did find the following stats on Wikipedia:

Gauge and electrification

The rail system of Japan consists of the following (as of 2005)[8]:

* 3,204 km of 1,435 mm standard gauge, all electrified;

* 117 km of 1,372 mm narrow gauge, all electrified;

* 20,264 km of 1,067 mm Cape gauge, of which 13,280 km is electrified;

* 11 km of 762 mm gauge, all electrified.

The national railway network was started and has been expanded with the narrow 1,067 mm gauge. Railways with broader gauge are limited to those built not intending to provide through freight and passenger transport with the existing national network. Shinkansen uses the standard gauge.

Electrification systems used by the JR group are 1500V DC and 20kV AC for conventional lines and 25kV AC for Shinkansen. Electrification with 600V DC and 750V DC are also seen in private lines. Frequency of AC power supply is 50 Hz in Eastern Japan and 60 Hz in Western Japan.

Thanks! That's very cool.

The key is a little odd, though--should I assume that the non-dashed skinny lines are non-electrified? It doesn't say for sure; at first, I thought they were minor DC lines.

bikkuri bahn

Thanks! That's very cool.

The key is a little odd, though--should I assume that the non-dashed skinny lines are non-electrified? It doesn't say for sure; at first, I thought they were minor DC lines.

Yes, they are non-electrified.  You can see how relatively little of JR Hokkaido is electrified, as well as JR Shikoku.  The Sanyo region interior is also a diesel railcar heavy area.

OK--thanks very much for finding that; I really appreciate it. It's interesting to see what's where, and it'll give me some ideas of what areas I might want to model.

bikkuri bahn

You can read other similarly informative articles from this list:

http://www.jrtr.net/technology.html

I also recommend the book "Japanese Railway Technology Today" which duplicates the above information.  A good primer not only on Japanese railways, but best modern railway practices, in paperback format.

bikkuri bahn

Scott, on the topic of technical maps, if you're interested in signaling/train protection systems, this article has an interesting map of JR East lines (w/close-up of Tokyo area) and what type of system is used on each one, i.e. ATC, ATS-P, ATS-C.  Note, this is already of out of date (2002), but it gives you a good idea of the extent of positive train control utilization in Japan.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/development/tech/pdf_2/40-45.pdf

(map is on second page)