New Type: JR East E5 Shinkansen

Forget the seats. I cant get past the Jimmy Durante nose on it!

With pimples (dead bugs) on the nose after a run from Tokyo and Osaka!

bikkuri bahn

The funky nose is a result of the fact that most of the line north of Hachinohe (and later in Hokkaido) will be in tunnel.  Also, N700 style small windows are just as well, won't be seeing much scenery through them.

Unfortunately re. the color scheme, pastels and whites are the flavor du jour on Japanese rolling stock (along with the stainless look).  It wasn't always that way- bold colors were used in the past, like the mikan green and orange of the "shonan densha"- one of my favorites.  With a good color combination, that shnoz on the E5 could be made more tolerable (like, ahem, makeup...)

bikkuri bahn

Raw video footage of the roll-out.  Skirting has been removed in one place, to reveal the bogie, which looks quite different from older types due to the active suspension system.

Well, the inside looks extremely comfortable and what a bathroom!

Dumb question - Did this replace the Fastech 360 or just a new prototype?

CaptOblivious

This isn't an experimental model or a prototype, but the first of the E5 production models.

CaptOblivious

What happened to the Fastech 360, I liked those functional ears?

Not sure…the 360Z mini-shinkansen was scrapped, but I haven't heard anything about the 360S that the E5 is based on…

Well, the inside looks extremely comfortable and what a bathroom!

Dumb question - Did this replace the Fastech 360 or just a new prototype?

The Fastec's were the prototype which lead to the E5 as the final product. The "Z" was scrapped sadly enough.

JR decided on the engineering results decided not to adopt the cat ear braking mechanism  on the E5. The 360's had some reliability issues pertaining to the deployment of the ears which were only suppose to be used for emergency break applications. (ie, they were not meant to be service brakes) From what I had seen on an English news broadcast last year in Ueno, only 40-50% of the ears were activating under EBA conditions.

Darren Jeffries

It strikes me that the Japanese make just as much fuss about a new train as Europe did for the A380 Airbus. You can definately see where the japanese focus is...

It strikes me that the Japanese make just as much fuss about a new train as Europe did for the A380 Airbus. You can definately see where the japanese focus is...

You were not there when Alstom unveiled the AGV prototype (or even for the new rail world record). It was the big show with Mr. Nico, national TVs and everyone. But maybe french are too proud of their HST and anyway the A380 is allmost a flying fantasm. So huge and it still can fly, amazing.

I will not or ever will fly on an A380 after the 3 months I spent at Fairchild EADS two years ago (right before I went to bp solar)  working on the AB380 project. When I saw Hamburg's response to the loss of that SCSC box in mid-flight, (a 250'000 part that exploded and nearly took out the prototype AB380 over England on a test flight). I'm not surprised at all when that AF A320 went down outside of Brazil. You can't pay me enough to step foot on an AB product.

It was an A330, but that's not really relevant here anyway. And this story is totaly awfull and unbelievable, it's now twenty years than I'm following    airplanes' world and I never read such horrid tragedy.

I don't know the stats but I don't really think that Airbus' planes are more dangerous than those of the other constructors. If they were we will hear about it and nobody will buy these planes anymore.

Darren Jeffries

I think it was the first fatal accident of the A330 wasn't it? 7 brits killed in this accident... one of them a child of 10, and scores more French. Very Tragic.

Now if you are looking for an plane to avoid, its tupolev... they make good military planes but not good civil airliners. And while we are at it, avoid Aeroflot if they are still in service. They had the worst airline safety record in the world!

I think it was the first fatal accident of the A330 wasn't it? 7 brits killed in this accident... one of them a child of 10, and scores more French. Very Tragic.

yeah, it scored 228 people. :(

In fact I just look up and it was the second crash of an A330, the first one happened during a certification test... All members on board were killed.

And while we are at it, avoid Aeroflot if they are still in service. They had the worst airline safety record in the world!

They still are and they do have regular safety problems with anykind of plane.

I don't know the stats but I don't really think that Airbus' planes are more dangerous than those of the other constructors. If they were we will hear about it and nobody will buy these planes anymore.

Pft, 320, 330, same damn thing, tomato, tomoto.  :laughing6:

I can make my comment becasue I worked on A380. I'd really rather not know what Boeing is doing, or what defects they knowing choose to brush under the rug.