New Type: JR East E5 Shinkansen

Great Photos! I'm always impress with what great care the Japanese take with assembling their trains!

alpineaustralia

but the look of it sucks.

I so wished they had gone with the other design.

OH! and what is with that colour?

CaptOblivious

Don't know why, but these pastel colors seem to be very popular in Japan for the past few years…very trendy to them, but so painful to the Western eye!

Don't know why, but these pastel colors seem to be very popular in Japan for the past few years…very trendy to them, but so painful to the Western eye!

Yeah, and the girls still wear Cyndie Lauper style leg warmers, as far as style and fashion goes, Japan hasn't been able to evolve past 1986 for some reason.

CaptOblivious

What was the other design?

How is that the other design? The E5 looks just like that! (I think, anyway)

disturbman

What will never cease to amaze me with japanese Shinkansens is that they really look like an airplane: a fat body with very small windows.

What was the other design?

They had one end of the train set that had more of a 500 series shape to it rather than the duck-bill or in the case of the new train, super duck-bill.

Yeah, that's not a big difference....  :P

serenityFan

Yeah, that's not a big difference.... :P

i thought the difference is in the colour scheme? so does the E5 have the duck-bill design on both ends?

Correct. Duckbill on both ends. It's basically like the 700-series on JT-West only that the bill is now 3m long instead of 1.5m

You know, I thought part of what fracked JR West off about the 500's was that the nose made the 500's way too long for their tastes and that the long noise cause a particular issue with them, but the new E5 sure looks like to me it has a bigger nose than he 500's do/did.

CaptOblivious

You know, I thought part of what fracked JR West off about the 500's was that the nose made the 500's way too long for their tastes and that the long noise cause a particular issue with them, but the new E5 sure looks like to me it has a bigger nose than he 500's do/did.

Funny, I was just thinking that too. I guess JREast doesn't care about the loss of capacity so much as the gains in speed…

Martijn Meerts

Biggest problem with the 500 series was the price tag ;)

I have to say, I'm starting to rather like the E5, including the colour scheme. From the pictures alone I thought it looked wrong, but in that video it seems to fit in with the environment perfectly.

I'm waiting for the E6. Wished they went with the other nose like the 500's. But I suppose the tunnel boom issue was the driving factor for super-duck

I had to smile at the end of that video--after all those colorful high-tech super-fast shinkansen cars, it's a dinky little switcher pushing the whole thing.  :)