Kato EH500 locomotive pulling M250 kokis -- which coupler is needed?

1954G

As the title states, I'm hoping to connect a Kato EH500 locomotive to the kokis from Kato's M250 Super Rail Cargo EMU.  I am aware that this is not a prototypical configuration, but I was able to order both the kokis and the loco at a bargain price.   

My problem is that the couplers used on the M250 and the EH500 are different (see photos). 

post-2369-0-20180300-1399192887_thumb.jpg

post-2369-0-15585800-1399192888_thumb.jpg

My plan is to buy Kato 11-704 http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10027345a/20/1 and to replace one or both of the couplers on the locomotive.

1.  Is Kato 11-704 the correct item for this application?

2.  Is there a functional/aesthetic reason why swapping out the couplers on this loco is a bad idea?

Thanks in advance to the forum braintrust.  :angel5:

Claude_Dreyfus

Personally, I would swap the couplers on the end wagons to knuckle to match the loco. The Scharfenbergs fitted to the kokis are great for fixed rakes of carriages and wagons, but where you have a locomotive, they will be very awkward, especially to uncouple.

Looking at the design, I don't believe the coupling design you have in mind will be compatible with the design of the locomotive coupling fitting. My suggestion would be to have a barrier wagon - even if it is empty if you wish to keep the uniform appearance of the train. The barrier wagon can have the Scharfenberg at one end and the knuckle at the other.

• Like 1

Claude_Dreyfus:  Your barrier wagon idea makes a lot of sense.  The cheapest way to implement it would be turning one of the M250 kokis into the barrier wagon, right?  In which case I would simply remove a Scharfenberg and install a knuckle coupler from 11-707. 

post-2369-0-76425800-1399236804_thumb.png

I suppose I could also buy a Kato freight car and install a Scharfenberg on one side, but the Kato 104 kokis that I'm interested in won't be rereleased for another 2-3 months.  If I go that route, is 11-704 the correct coupler pack to buy?

post-2369-0-92292000-1399238305_thumb.png

Thank you again for your patience.  I'm still new to this hobby, and so even simple stuff like this confuses me. 

Claude_Dreyfus

No problems...although you have picked an awkward one to start with!

Personally, I would use the barrier wagon if you are not desperate for uniformity. This means that if you do get the M250 driving cars you don't have to worry about changing over couplings. Your EH500 should come with the conventional 'Arnold' couplings as well as the knuckles, so you can fit these to match a 'conventional' Kato or Tomix container flat, only needing to change one coupling. Retaining the knuckle coupling on the loco means you would need to fit two different couplings to the wagon, but it would certainly look better...

• Like 1

I'll follow that advice, thanks. 

I own M250 kokis because they were very, very cheap: I purchased some secondhand Unitrack, and the seller threw in the 8 kokis for an extra $50.  I probably will end up purchasing the M250 driving cars eventually, though. 

Davo Dentetsu

I use barrier wagons for my Scharfenberg-coupled DMUs/EMUs to simulate a stock movement using either a good ol' DD51 or DE10.  I'm actually going to be making some proper shunting trucks for simulating the movement of Hokkaido based Furico units when they require reorganising into it's various configurations (that will be another thread soon, I'm going to be requiring good picture references soon).  So this project is definitely doable.

And I go with the big C Dreyf, definitely change a wagon coupler.  Not sure on the ease of doing so on the M250 KOKI wagons, but definitely far easier and less limiting to do.  Your loco must be as versatile as possible in operations. ;)

EF65 1100

If you don't mind buying another locomotive, you have the option of Kato's EF64 1032 or EF81 with double headed coupler (similar to those on EF63's). These locomotives' coupler (I think just one side) can be changed between a knuckle and a Scharfenberg coupler, perfect for the M250 shown in the picture. In reality, these trains with double headed coupler are often used to haul EMUs around.

Alternatively, you may be able to buy just the double headed coupler, but I am not sure how well they will fit a EH500.

The item numbers for EF81 is 3066-4. For EF64 1032 it is 3023-6. The part number for the coupler itself is Z01-0257, 420 yen for 6 of those.

Thanks for informing me about Kato's double-headed coupler locos.  I already had the EF64 1032 (3023-6) on my wish list, since it is one of the locomotives that hauls the Akebono sleeper train.  Now I have another reason to buy it (and the Akebono, of course.  Gotta love those Blue Trains!)

As for installing the double headed coupler (Z01-0257) on my EH500, I think I prefer the barrier wagon idea.  Better to mess around with the couplers on a relatively inexpensive freight car (not the kokis from the M250--I'll keep those stock!) than risk damaging a costlier locomotive.  

EF65 1100

I'm glad to hear that the EF64 is on your wish list! You can probably tell I'm a big fan of locomotives, especially these "blue boxes."

I think the EH500 is quite interesting for a locomotive. Too bad it's not used to haul sleeper cars... probably too powerful for that purpose. :)

Note: I do know that all EH500's belong to JRF, but one could dream...

http://maronokimagure.blog100.fc2.com/blog-entry-437.html

Nice photoshop work by くらまろさん at http://maronokimagure.blog100.fc2.com/

Edited by EF65 1100