All shops in Japan with discount coupons

Hello,

Arriving at Tokyo some weeks ago I bought RM Models magazine, issue num. 225. My surprise was it came with an extra booklet with the compilation and review of all train shops in Japan, and with discount coupons for many of them.

I used a 10% discount for Popondetta Kyoto, a discount to apply to the already discounted or in offer items. So I got a N700 8 car shinkansen and many other for a ridiculous price.

Get issue 225 of RM Models if you plan to go to Japan!!!

Cheers,

Dani

The Next Station Is...

Sweet! Wish I knew about it for my last trip, although I did make use of Volks Hobby Centre's duty free for foreigners which I recommend.

• Like 1

Aaah, I now see the coupons as well. Very tempting stuff there. It's a very handy, but incomplete guide. There are of course many more little shops (like Atorie Minamo in Machida) and of course BookOff (with toy section) that have model trains, but aren't listed.

Edited by Toni Babelony
JR 500系

Sounds very interesting! But the coupons probably wouldn't be valid till next year now, would they?   :)

Sounds very interesting! But the coupons probably wouldn't be valid till next year now, would they?   :)

Actually, depending on the shop, they are.

JR 500系

Actually, depending on the shop, they are.

Serious? 

Thinking about my trip next year already!

Serious? 

Thinking about my trip next year already!

Not many are until 2015 and if so until February only. Also, there are better ways of getting good deals here, rather than coupons. Hobby Land Pochi sometimes has sales events (like today, tomorrow and monday in Akihabara) and there are events like the Tetsudō Mokei-ichi, JNMA and JAM where you can get excellent deals.

Edited by Toni Babelony
westfalen

I didn't notice the coupons. I'm off to Japan in two weeks and was planning on taking the booklet with me, I might get some bargins.

I presume the procedure is you show them the booklet and they stamp the coupon.

I didn't notice the coupons. I'm off to Japan in two weeks and was planning on taking the booklet with me, I might get some bargins.

I presume the procedure is you show them the booklet and they stamp the coupon.

Yes, it's like this. Many coupons are just a discount for the rental of the layout, and there are no discounts for small shops, but Popondetta in Kyoto (2 minutes walking from the station) has a lot of already discounted items and you can apply the 10% discount on them, I found it was really a bargain. I bought a Kato N700 8 cars set (no add-on) for something like 7000Yen.

westfalen

If you're not a Japanese reader it's not obvious what some of the coupons are offering, though I notice some have a time period mentioned such as 30 minutes, I assumed these were for rental layouts. If there are no English speaking sales clerks at the store just finding out if you can use the coupon and on what could take all day.