Skyrail Midorizaka Line, Midoriguchi (JR West Seno Station) to Midori-Chūō and back

Sacto1985

And now for this unusual zenmen tenbou video:

This is the Skyrail Midorizaka Line, a people mover transit vehicle from Midoriguchi Station (which is part of the JR West Seno Station east of Hiroshima) to Midori-Chūō Station in the Skyrail Town Midorizaka housing development. You can see the houses in the development are quite big, and they're probably quite expensive, too.

• Like 4

Good find Sacto, I didn't even know it was there...

I first heard about this when I saw it pointed out in another zenmen tenbou video of a trip on a 115 Series EMU going east from HIroshima to Itozaki Station on the San'yō Main Line as the train passed Seno Station. I've been searching for a decent video of this people mover and here it is.  :) 

Edited by Sacto1985

I've seen this many years ago linked from a site about monorails, since this apparently qualifies as one. I've wondered back then but seeing this video it's clear that they made this system as a show. Part for guests, part for selling the houses. Afaik the line has a capacity of around 150 people / hour, which is rather limited for so many houses. Since it has only 3 stations and the developement is rather large, it seems everybody uses their cars to go to work or at least down to the JR station. The few cars at the top station indicates that at least some people use it and only take their cars to the top station (or they just keep their 2nd cars there). Imho, if they really wanted mass transit and a real monorail, they could have added longer trains and more stations, but it's pretty impressive for a gated community. The google earth images show lots of unused plots of land both on the upper and the lower levels, so the community has lots of space to grow.

I took some video when I rode on it in 2011 but I'm just to lazy to put it on Youtube. :sleepy1:

It didn't seem very well patronised when I was there, I'd go along with the theory that it's mainly a ploy to sell real estate but I think that like anywhere else in the world the people that can afford to live in these places wouldn't be seen dead on public transport.

i wish this was the style of sky cars that tomytec would use on their upcoming ropeway. prototype looked like and old fashion style car, very euro looking.

jeff

• Like 1

Here is the video I took on 13 Nov 2011 minus the 'cab ride' whch is covered in the O.P. video.

The appearance of Anpanman at the Sunday markets at the top station attracted more people than the Skyrail.  The line appears to have only four cars, a lot less than this type of operation usual has and runs to a timetable, I think it was once every ten minutes or so, rather than the usual continuous service of one car after another.

now if only tomytec would make the rails for a sky car set up like this out of a very flexible plastic with little little cross pieces that could be snapped on an then columns. then have wire run in a trough to drag the cars. might get fiddly on vertical bends...

jeff

bikkuri bahn

The development is a venture of home builder Sekisui House.  They advertise heavily on TV here.  They appear to be active in Australia too.

Edited by bikkuri bahn