pls help again.

Kenji T.

I have a den en toshi line greenmax train. I take it to my grandparents's house in Japan and I think it looks really nice so I bought it. I have been running it for a few months since I bought it and it has been perfect until now. For some reason. When it moves, there is a little "squeaking"/wierd sound when it runs. Why? I tried greasing the motor and the wheels but it did not help.thanks

I have two set of the Kato 700T Bullet Train, Made in Japan but only sold in Taiwan.  One is a three box set that when aligned side by side show the whole train. It contains a total of 12 units. The other set is a 4 unit set with track and power supply.  I can't find any info about these sets other then they are very expensive and extremely rare.  They were bought new in Taiwan many years ago.  Any info about these trains would be great as I would like to list them on e-bay.  They are part of an inheritance, which is why I know so little about them.  I posted pics of one of the sets on the N-Gauge forum page. Thanks!

Mudkip Orange

I have a 2003 Crown Victoria, it was made in Ontario but sold in the US. I thought it drives really nice so I bought it. However now when I start it up there is a rattling sound that I think is coming from the muffler. I have tried changing the oil and also filled up the gas tank but the rattling is still there. I think I might have dented it going over speed bumps. Any info about how to make this rattling stop would be awesome. If you want a picture just GIS for "police car."

Edited by Mudkip Orange
  • Like 5

klaus,

what exactly on the motor and wheels did you lubricate and with what and how?

on the motor you only want to use a tiny tiny bit of a thin bearing oil on the bearings. this is where the main shaft goes into the motor on each end. usually just some on the end of a toothpick is enough, you dont want to drown it.

on the trucks its the gears and the shafts they ride on you want to lube up. usually using a thicker liquid oil for those. again just a little bit at a time. also good to look to see if there is any other muck in the gear housings in the trucks. things like hairs and balls of fuzz can get in there and suck out your lubricant, gum things up etc. 

the last place is the worm drive that is at the end of the motor drive shafts that transfers rotation to the main truck gear. this one you can use the thick liquid oil or a light grease on. 

any one of these points at times could squeal some. 

if it persists one trick on the trucks is to take them off and clean them out throughly. soaking in isopropyl alcohol can help do this (little ultrasonic cleaner can really do this) or taking the truck apart and cleaning everything out and then relubing. ive had a few cases where this was the only way i could get things working smoothly again.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

One thing that suprised me the first time i saw it is if the gears are made of plastic, then instead of oil, the manufacturers use grease. Usually a clear synthetic version that won't get solid with time. If the gears were greased in the factory then they should be greased not oiled.

many dont do much of any lubrication. ive cleaned out many a mucked up set of gears with grease in them that has picked up a lot of dust and muck and ends up a crusty muck. ive never had issues using plastic safe heavier oils on trucks that even have some grease still on them. one issue with grease on tiny gears is it does tend to give a significant amount of resistance even when new. 

i dont know if any of the japanese manufacturers do siliconized dry lubrications.

jeff

Spaceman Spiff

I have a 2003 Crown Victoria, it was made in Ontario but sold in the US. I thought it drives really nice so I bought it. However now when I start it up there is a rattling sound that I think is coming from the muffler. I have tried changing the oil and also filled up the gas tank but the rattling is still there. I think I might have dented it going over speed bumps. Any info about how to make this rattling stop would be awesome. If you want a picture just GIS for "police car."

Have you tried turning up the stereo? It usually works for me.

Spiff

• Like 1