Kato double crossover and turnouts

MikeMendoza22

MikeMendoza22

Newbie Question:

So I have ben up and running for about two weeks now.  Occasionally moving the track around trying to find the layout I like best!   Everything has been awesome!! 

This weekend though I started having problems with trains derailing at intersections of turnouts, and then on my double crossover.   I am not seeing anything obvious as to why cars would decide to derail?    

I would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks,

Mike

mike,

thats the way to do it!

are you putting the turnouts or double crossovers right after turns? many trains dont like to come out of a curve and hit the blade of the point as the cars are being pushed to the outside from the curve.

at times point blades can get a little loose and when thrown not rest all the way against the rail. usually just a tiny bit of bending of the end part of the blade can make it rest better against the rail.

is it the same train or just one? if its just one also check the trucks on the cars derailing to make sure they are swiveling easily.

cheers

jeff

Spaceman Spiff

What Jeff said ↑

You need a straight transition before the switch and check gauge of the wheels of car that derails.

Could be a little bit of dirt in between the rails. You can also file the rail abit if needed. I remember hearing that the Kato number 4 (shorts) were also troublesome.

Spiff

• Like 1

Yes the #4s have more of an issue with picking the blade. Folks tune them by filing the blade edge sharper and also making a little pocket for it in the side rails.

Good point on the schmutz, always the bane of points. Wheel gauge as well especially with problematic trains.

Jeff

MikeMendoza22

Thanks for the responces guys!  I moved them back to where they were originally (away from curves) and that helped out a lot!  

mike cool. even just a 128 segment can be enough to get rid of a lot of this curve to point issue. also if its consistently one train or car look at the wheel gauge as spiff suggested as thats a big derailment culprit as well and points are the nastiest for off gauge wheels.

jeff

• Like 1