Tomytec T100 Santram

IST

This new type of tram was released a few weeks ago, and as I preordered, I got it around one week ago. I uploaded some photo here:

http://vonatmagazin.blog.hu/2014/04/13/tomytec_t100_santram

and made a small video also:

Summary:

+ general appearance of the tram

+ livery, signs

+ runs smoothly and it is quite quiet

+ after a curve on a straight section the sections are in line, not like at Modemo's Green Mover

- gap between the sections

- roof looks too plastic

- fixed pantograph

- no lights, front sign can not be read

- the usual "huge" engine, no under floor solution

All-in-all: it looks and runs good, it worths its price.

• Like 3

oooh thanks ist, looks great! mine is in sal land somewhere!

on the roof, i think just masking off the roof area and hitting it with a little dull coat and then maybe just a little weathering powder on some of the sides might help make it seem more realistic with slightly different colors.

always get a kato or tomix pantograph replacement. fixed one does not look horrible.

easy to put some leds in it for lighting. 

big engine block no solution there! i have wondered about trying to print some people on clear acetate to slip in behind the windows and then maybe paint the engine top gray or try covering it with some light colored paper to se if it might give better look in the windows!

thanks for posting, looking forward to mine and think im going to have to get a few more.

wonder if anyone has yet kitbashed two of these into a green mover!

jeff

Usually i just paint the shiny metal parts black and always get the movable metal pantograph indicated on the box. The good point of this huge motor is that it's very simple, so easy to service and not much can go wrong with it. If someone designs some passengers for printing on clear film i would be interested in them too.

The low floor stops are a must for these trams, but they don't have to be at the same station or they can be on the opposite side. This would solve the platform length problem present on many small layouts.

Nick_Burman

This new type of tram was released a few weeks ago, and as I preordered, I got it around one week ago. I uploaded some photo here:

http://vonatmagazin.blog.hu/2014/04/13/tomytec_t100_santram

and made a small video also:

Summary:

+ general appearance of the tram

+ livery, signs

+ runs smoothly and it is quite quiet

+ after a curve on a straight section the sections are in line, not like at Modemo's Green Mover

- gap between the sections

- roof looks too plastic

- fixed pantograph

- no lights, front sign can not be read

- the usual "huge" engine, no under floor solution

All-in-all: it looks and runs good, it worths its price.

István,

Pantograph - replace with better one from Tomix lineup;

"Plasticky" roof - spray the area with a coat of dull varnish.

The rest...shikata ga nai - it can't be helped... :-S

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman

I agree i like having a inexpensive robust motor than something that if it goes bad like the kato portram your hopes of working on it are slim to none! that being said they do look way nice!

one of the old bachmann trams had white windows with just cheesy silhouettes of sides of person heads and shoulders. up close it was pretty funny but from a distance it was not too bad. something subtler might work on these trams. always wanted to fiddle with it with all the tomytec and modemo trams i have here! on the todo list...

jeff

Usually i just paint the shiny metal parts black and always get the movable metal pantograph indicated on the box. The good point of this huge motor is that it's very simple, so easy to service and not much can go wrong with it. If someone designs some passengers for printing on clear film i would be interested in them too.

My layout was made not for these low-floor trams, just for fun, so this is the reason of the height of the platform. I did not want to make a video about the tram on an empty area. :)

Yesterday I was looking for the pantographs, so I think I will order a pair and see how that look like. Luckily it is only 5 USD, so not a huge deal.

And you're right, weathering of the roof is a must, I will try to do something.

But as I said in the end: this is a quite nice tram, I am happy to have it. :grin

Nice video!

I was looking at these models the other day in the shop and was impressed by the level of detail on the roof. It almost convinced me to actually buy one or two... Or three... They look really damn nice. :)

Nice neat little tidy layout! I like the look of it! Very sweet, and the tram looks good running in it! Thanks for sharing!

JNRModelsNick

oo nice! We'll be stocking them in the Australian stores next time we make a Tomytec order. I really dig what Tomytec do with these, brings them in at a great price point.

Could I make a request. At some point in the future, would it be ok for me to post this video on my JNR Models website so I can preview the product? I don't mind if you'd rather not, and if I use it I will be sure to credit you.

I bought three of these, but only one TM-LRT02 power chassis, thinking I'd make two of them trailer cars - to keep the interior clear. 

Are there any trailer conversion chassis available, or should I just power all of them?

Are there any trailer conversion chassis available, or should I just power all of them?

No trailer chassis are offered for trams.