Kato EF65 Conundrum

Davo Dentetsu

Davo Dentetsu

I purchased a used EF65 over eBay, which was listed for parts and at a very reasonable price for doing so.

tumblr_n40abfTm4P1s9yxy6o1_500.jpg

Looks good for a bitsa loco.  So I thought it was worth a look inside to see why it become a shade of itself.  Turns out...

tumblr_n40i7nZIFs1s9yxy6o1_500.jpg

...the motor is rather decorative.  It's pretty much cactus.  So out it came and the rest is temporarily dismantled into tubs.  So, my options are look for another motor, make up some coupler mounts to finish the unit off.  Or...

*broken jpeg of a cut up cab.  Ummm... I need you to imagine a perfect example of hotlinking in this spot*

I should probably leave that last one as a last resort... :D

Edited by Azumanga Davo
Davo Dentetsu

Dummy loco for double heading?

I have it free wheeling at the moment, so could do.  But I would need another EF65 for this, correct?  Or...  would I?  I'm not certain of the facts on it.

Davo Dentetsu

Hello Mr Azumanga Davo,

So sorry, but am I to understand that you don't actually know what you bought the model for?   ... ;)

Sort of.  :P  I knew it would either be a simple to repair job or more of a parts bin occupier.  Now that I've seen it, I'm stuck on which way to go.

If you can make it roll and couple, then it can be used in a consist. What else is missing besides the busted motor and the missing couplers?

Hello Mr Azumanga Davo,

Yes.  I C.  Wishful thinking, on your part.  I agree with the suggestion to convert to a dummy power car.  The couplers should be available.

Davo Dentetsu

If you can make it roll and couple, then it can be used in a consist. What else is missing besides the busted motor and the missing couplers?

It's pretty much all there.  I have a set of couplers I can whack on it.  I'll get around to it someday.

• Like 1

Davo, 

I was hoping for the scrap scene! sad but real.

how about doing a engine yard repair scene under way?

jeff

Davo Dentetsu

Davo, 

I was hoping for the scrap scene! sad but real.

how about doing a engine yard repair scene under way?

jeff

I'm still tempted to do that at some point.  Everyone in this part of the world builds lovely little utopias with no scrapyards, mucky bits or general dismal areas of interest.  That's why I want to definitely recreate the oxy cutter's humble abode.

In the past japan didn't have scrap yards. They had disassembly factories. Currently jr east does the same, by remanufacturing old emus. (this is how some new cars for the yamanote ended up with 3 different door styles) Also, many yards around the world (including Japan) just store old stock without cutting them up. For example, you can see cars in Hungary that have burned out in WWII and are still being stored awaiting repairs. Some of them even got repaired for museum trains after only 60 years of static storage. (they had to cut down some of the trees that blocked the tracks so the cars could be towed away) So i think the best way for non rolling stock is to just store them somewhere on the layout and repair them when you have the right parts.

Davo Dentetsu

Bridge load testing I presume?  That made my brain spin on how much it bends.  :O  Cool idea though!

Yes, that was for testing the bridge in several areas, but I thought the idea of 9 locomotives running together would appeal to you.

The arrangement according to the youtube video's uploader is EF65-1047+EF65-8+EF65-18+EF65-44+EF6­5-38+EF65-9+EF64-1+EF62-25+EF65-93+スハフ12­-143+コキ525838+EF65-124

This test (emergency brake test) has a EF66 in the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXizwnjOs48

This one talks about the machenism that allows the extension and retraction of train track as the train crosses the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIL47k3Ip30

Both are good videos to watch!

• Like 2

excellent videos ef65, thanks!

wonder if micro ace will ever make a "torture" train set like this! but then again you would need to model a suspension bridge as well!

jeff

Oh man that is just way too cool! Excellent find ef65!

I've always wanted to build a suspension bridge and now I will have to use stays that will give some so there will be a little flex!

Amazing what you can make out of corrugated cardboard, matte knife, yard stick and a hot glue gun! Use to make big up to full scale exhibits out of bundles or corrugated cardboard.

Cheers

Jeff

Davo Dentetsu

It's bloody impressive!  My poor budget section of the brain is crying at the expense the locos would make. :P

Is it safe to have more than one locomotive on a track at a time? They have like 10 of them on that video at once.

They are connected together, so if the power supply and the bridge structure holds, then you can have as many as you could fit into the track section. An EMU with only power cars (like an old shinkansen) is essentially a train made up of passanger carrying locomotives and as long as the train stays coupled, there is no danger.

• Like 1

It's bloody impressive!  My poor budget section of the brain is crying at the expense the locos would make. :P

Indeed. Even at 5000 yen a piece, 10 locos would cost 50000 yen, more than enough for a couple of MUs. :D

Oh man that is just way too cool! Excellent find ef65!

I've always wanted to build a suspension bridge and now I will have to use stays that will give some so there will be a little flex!

Amazing what you can make out of corrugated cardboard, matte knife, yard stick and a hot glue gun! Use to make big up to full scale exhibits out of bundles or corrugated cardboard.

Cheers

Jeff

In my opinion, the bridge would look even better with flex tracks to allow the rails bend all the way across the bridge instead of angling at the unijoiners :)

It may also be interesting to make use of those extension tracks to simulate the mechanism of the real bridge. :angel8:

It sort of looked like they had extension tracks in there but never showed those directly extending.

Agreed flex track would make a much nicer wave!

Jeff

Davo Dentetsu

Oh, an update.  I am actively looking for a motor now.  However, I was thinking I may have to look at Kato USA trains second hand and get a motor out of one of them seeing they are plentiful.  Anyone knowledgeable in such things know what a good match for these motor dimensions would be?

ef65-511-motor.jpg

http://rtmrw.parallel.jp/survey/survey-ef65-511/survey-ef65-511-1a.html