Going Japanese!!!

Pauljag900

Why would you want a viaduct without track?  Other than adding 62mm of wall to the 310mm double crossing.  I cannot think of any reason.  but then you just get a 62mm viduct section and unscrew the track and use the viaduct piece.

Simple. My layout design and the amount of track i have allows me to follow 2 track designs. One (the current one) is mostly ground based track with an elevated part for the station. But i can easily transform my current design into 2 separate lines, one elevated and another one on the ground without having to buy extra track. So, If I ever want to evolve to the second layout i need the viaducts... without the track, since i already have that. 

Its just a matter of choices. Of course i can sell the ground track i don't need and buy viaduct track, but i was after a more flexible solution.

As for the viaduct only I found at least these 2 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072751

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028717

However i can't seem to find curved ones, so now i wonder if these are for regular track or just meant for the stations and straight parts. If so, then i guess i was wrong, tomix doesn't have viaducts also :(

Edited by NJHA

Hello Mr NJHA,

Please allow me to assist you with Tomix track.  Rest assured, Tomix has the necessary parts to create curved viaduct layout.

There are a number of ways you can do this. 

If you want slab track for shinkansen please consider parts:

- 1168 for R428 and R465

- 1169 for R502 and R539

- 3041 concrete piers

If you do not want this style the please show your layout so that I can assist you further.

Actually Tomix did make viaduct only (trackless) pieces for normal curved track too, but they are very hard to find nowdays, since they stopped making them when finetrack was introduced. They were meant for the brown ballast Tomix track. The old pieces are fully compatible with finetrack ground track, so you can use them if you can find them. (Yahoo Japan is usually full of it and it's relatively cheap) The available radiuses are more limited tough and no banked curves.

Hello Mr NJHA,

Please allow me to assist you with Tomix track.  Rest assured, Tomix has the necessary parts to create curved viaduct layout.

There are a number of ways you can do this. 

If you want slab track for shinkansen please consider parts:

- 1168 for R428 and R465

- 1169 for R502 and R539

- 3041 concrete piers

If you do not want this style the please show your layout so that I can assist you further.

Thanks for the help E6. My layout uses kato track and i found out about those issues a bit to late. Changing now would force me to sell the kato track and buy tomix track but for now that is not an option.

Actually Tomix did make viaduct only (trackless) pieces for normal curved track too, but they are very hard to find nowdays, since they stopped making them when finetrack was introduced. They were meant for the brown ballast Tomix track. The old pieces are fully compatible with finetrack ground track, so you can use them if you can find them. (Yahoo Japan is usually full of it and it's relatively cheap) The available radiuses are more limited tough and no banked curves.

Thanks kvp. Like i told E6 when I started my layout i assumed changing to viaduct would be just a matter of buying the viaducts, that is why my "rant" against kato. If i was starting today i would do things differently, but what is done is done. I just used my situation as an example on how Tomix is more practical than Kato. 

Edited by NJHA

Umm, the Tomix trackless curved viaduct is certainly still available; however the only other trackless "viaduct" is the double-track bridge (part no. 3067 or 3068). You can also get trackless base plates (3061, 3062 and 3066) which are meant for use in stations. Other than that, I'm not aware of any "trackless" viaducts sections; the Tomix single track viaducts are pretty much similar to Kato (except somewhat wider), while the double track sections come with the track integrated. You can however get side sections for Tomix wide track to make them into viaducts.

If you mean you want to re-use your existing track by buying viaduct units to put it on, Tomix isn't that much different to Kato, i.e. basically you'll need to buy the viaduct section with track. I do think the Tomix system is more flexible, which is why I've ended up using it for the core part of my elevated track.

• Like 1

Thanks, i couldn't find that. Imho this is needed for the curved points, so you can build a curved double track crossover on a viaduct, but it can also be used to upgrade ground level tracks to viaduct.

As for the viaduct only I found at least these 2 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072751

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028717

However i can't seem to find curved ones, so now i wonder if these are for regular track or just meant for the stations and straight parts. If so, then i guess i was wrong, tomix doesn't have viaducts also :(

They are grider bridges.  Yes there are ones with 15 degree pieces 3 pack (45 degrees in total) that house the R280 and R317 tracks also.  Again they are also grider bridges.  Come in both cream, green and light blue colours.

I like the plan idea for your track layout.  Makes future changes easy.

I thing I do like about the tomix range is the wide track piece.  They hace be elevated and have all attached.  Making a completely customizible viaduct system.  Dunno how solid it all is, as cannot fimd much english written reports about them.  But it does show promise.

Edited by katoftw

Having now assembled my Xmas presents I thought I d post an update showing the plazza area with cinema,disco with flashing lights and restaurants and bar,ve just ordered some detailing kits to finish that area off,wine festival for the lawn,kids playground and just general town decoration.then it's just the small fairground which will be on the field area,a big wheel and two children's roundabouts with a few side stalls,all with motors and flashing lights.post-2329-0-15942300-1422622688_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-93622000-1422622737_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-56070300-1422622793_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-98453000-1422622842_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-50780700-1422622890_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The banner is a typical japanese translation, so this must be in Japan:

small Germany -> kleine Deutchland

less Germany -> Deutchland wenig

:)  :)  :)

Thanks Densha,mixing the two was always going to be a problem mate,a themed village was was the best I could come up with! Ha ha,and thanks kvp for backing me up!ha ha,it looks a bit of a mixture at the moment but I m hoping that when I finally get around to building the larger Japanese train layout around it that it will look more like a German village in japan rather than a bit of a mixture of the two as it does at the moment,but thanks for the comments guys

Let me help you with the banner, I'd say it should be this:

小さいドイツへようこそ。
Chiisai-Doitsu e youkoso.
Welcome to Little Germany.
Wilkommen in Klein-Deutschland.

I'm not too keen on my Japanese translation though, otherwise you could transliterate the English term Little Germany into Ritoru Doitsu (リトルドイツ), but that sounds strange as well.

Make a big colourful garden in rows of colours in the unused section in the middle of the layout and call the town Huis Ten Bosch. Naming problems solved. haha

I only speak a little German and no Japanese at all,so I used google translate for the sign/banner,so apologies if it does nt quite work,ha ha

The empty space in the middle is where the fairground is going to be,a Ferris wheel,two roundabouts,all motorised and a few side stalls,I ve just ordered the first roundabout while I finish off the detailing,the fair will be the last thing to do on it.time to start planning the Tain layout now!!!

Good morning everyone,happy Easter.I wonder if anyone can help me,I m thinking of building a small mountain layout using kato track with two glazier express trains.i know this train will run on 150mm curves,and as I want to incorporate as much track as possible into a smallish space I was going to use kato compact 150 and 183 rad curves.However,I ve watched a few videos on YouTube and there seems to be a fair bit of overhang as the coaches go around the curves and as I want the two trains running in opposite directions I m a bit concerned that they will contact as they pass on the bends,does anyone know if they will clear ok? Any advice will be gratefully recieved,many thanks,paul

Hi,just thought I d post some pics of my finished tram model.Unfortunately I have to have some surgery in the very near future so I face a bit of time out of action,therefore the plans for the log cabin(the future home for my layouts) have had to be put on hold,so with much regret I ve decided to sell this model on eBay.In the meantime I m going to start buying my kato track,loccos etc ready,and also make some kits which will go on the layout once the track is laid.If anyone is interested I ve put a short video on youtube(or will once my internet decides to load it for me! It's so slow!) just search,grandads tram 3. I ve built a case around it with a glass front and a simple lift off mdf lid to protect it from dust and "little hands"!!Thanks to all for your help and advice in the making of this layout,I d have been lost without it.post-2329-0-14676100-1428771913_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-81611700-1428772004_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-14429600-1428772096_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-79317200-1428772174_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-96655500-1428772223_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning everyone,happy Easter.I wonder if anyone can help me,I m thinking of building a small mountain layout using kato track with two glazier express trains.i know this train will run on 150mm curves,and as I want to incorporate as much track as possible into a smallish space I was going to use kato compact 150 and 183 rad curves.However,I ve watched a few videos on YouTube and there seems to be a fair bit of overhang as the coaches go around the curves and as I want the two trains running in opposite directions I m a bit concerned that they will contact as they pass on the bends,does anyone know if they will clear ok? Any advice will be gratefully recieved,many thanks,paul

Instead of two trains, perhaps just have one, but with a longer (folded) loop?

Have a station in a town at a lower elevation, with the dramatic mountain scenery on an upper level.

An option to two tracks - and perhaps a better use of space, is to use Tomix TCS to have two trains alternate out of the station in opposite directions?

Pauljag900

Unfortunately I ve already started it now butt thanks for the idea mate.I did consider one train but I d got my heart set on two.It was always my intention to run a double track all around due to the fact I wanted to keep it as compact as possible,ideally 48"x48"max.Its ended up being 52x44 inches.the problem I had was because it was a small layout I had trouble in gettin enough height to clear the trains and get it down again and have it look good,in the end I settled on 4% inclines with no crossing overs.I used anyrail to make a track plan and I am now up and running with two trains.I have just glued the track in place and carried out the final track test with the two glacier express and I m generally quite happy with it.I intend to build a larger L shaped layout next year and I m hoping to suspend this model in the corner and pass the other trains under it through tunnels.I bought the 3 car basic set and the 7 car set and made it into two 5 car units to fit the station and platforms.post-2329-0-32561200-1433016753_thumb.jpg

This is as far as I ve got at the moment,there is a short video of the final track test on YouTube,

http://youtu.be/usNLGmGa85Y.

Sorry if I ve bored you,but just in case you were interested! Ha ha.

post-2329-0-17799000-1433017105_thumb.jpg

post-2329-0-01988800-1433017135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Considering that it's an RhB themed layout, it's interesting that you have made it double track, since the RhB doesn't really have any double track lines. The correct, but harder to automate solution would have been to have two double track stations with two single track lines between them and move trains from station to station, so they cross each other at each station. Of course that would need either clever block insulation or Tomix tracks with fully power routing turnouts.

Pauljag900

I gathered from my research that it s a single track train,so I had a decision to make,do I make it realistic or do I do it the way I want it?so I decided to do it the way I wanted it and I made it double track for two reasons,

1.i really like the look of the carriages on this train so wanted two of them.

2.if I only have one how do I stop the grandkids fighting over who s going to operate it! As I have two grand children.ha ha

I do not know enough about trains to get it right all the time,but I love model making,tho my skills are somewhat limited.i could not even begin to do it how you suggested,but thanks for the comments mate.

Once I get my log cabin built and I m able to have a larger layout I may modify it to single track and extend it as I won t have any restrictions on the size or height of my layout.

Given the choice of rolling stock, I would have expected you to go for a more dramatic Alpine look.

gallery_941_135_37160.jpg

Pauljag900

I was just struggling to get any real height into it becoz of space limitations,maybe it will look a bit better once I get some colour,trees and scenery onto it,we lol see