Tomix N700 panto car body fit?

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

Got my N700-7000 (sanyo) from a reliable ebay seller.  Item appears to be in good shape.  However, the fit of the bodies on both panto cars is terrible.  It's as if the body is too wide or something so the fit to the chassis is just terrible.

(yet again reinforcing my mantra of always buying kato first, though of course kato doesn't have an N700-7000... though now that i've bought a tomix i'm sure they'll announce one tomorrow).

the issue is such that if i put car 7 down on my desk and pick it up with two fingers, the body shell will almost lift off of the chassis.  with the motor car (car 2) it's not that bad, but still very very poor by my usual standards.

can somebody check their tomix n700s to see if you notice a similar issue?     because it only affects both panto cars, i'm tempted to say it's a tooling issue or something, but it's odd.

it doesnt look so bad in the photo below, but actually i'm fairly tolerant of problems, and it's quite bad in the flesh.

thanks!

post-1532-0-49454800-1396714410_thumb.png

Krackel Hopper

I have the N700-8000 R10 edition.. Same set just different paint..

All of my cars fit snug with no issues.

Was this a new or used set?

Also, is it possible that the shell is just not seated correctly? Seems to me like it was pryed open and not put back correctly.. or prying it open bent the plastic and now it won't seat like it should..

I own several Tomix Shinkansen sets and none have that loose shell..

• Like 1

I agree with krackle hopper this sounds like it was opened and not put together properly. Maybe took a good drop in shipping at some point?

I have the tomix n700 16 car and the r10 and both are all tight shells and no issues with the case and same with other tomix Shinkansens. Lots of other tomix Shinkansens as well as Katos and no real difference at all i find. Just some minor detail and color differences and the big plus on tomix of whole train pickup is really great (huge feature in my book -- runs smoothly on dirty track, less chance of light flicker). Some tomix Shinkansen sets come with little sheets of a very supple PVC film that you can put over the slot and then push the car down on top of it. Makes for a very smooth insertion of the car into the slot and then much easier removal as you just tug on the film edges to pull the car out (again the supple film helps is lied out smoothly) so you don't tug on parts of the shell to pry it out. Ive looked and looked to find the same film for othe boxes, but to no avail. I've found that the tight case slots I've noticed have been in ma boxes with kato and tomix about the same.

Also the tomix 16 car usually having two power cars I think may help with stripped dive shafts. On Shinkansens in the club there have been 6 or so stripped drive shafts over the years and all have been kato. Perhaps the little nibs on Katos are not as sturdy as tomix, but I suspect that all the force of a longer train on one power car could make it more prone to strip if there are any disturbances in the movement of the train while going at speed. Ironic thing is that tomix sells a lot of different spare driveshafts and I have been able to fit them to Katos where it was hard to get the kato replacement.

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest keio6000

i bought it used, but from a seller who i have bought from before and who at most lightly uses them.   also, the set itself appears to be like new otherwise.   it's odd that it's only the two panto cars which show this.  the chassis are not particularly hard to unseat on the N700.  yes, i have tried re-seating them, etc.   super glue will surely fix it :)

N700-7000 runs prototypically as 8 cars, though in practice i dont run prototypical length anyway.  

anyway, i sent an email to the seller, hopefully he will get back to me.  thanks for the advice!

So sorry, but if the product has a legitimate defect that was not describe clearly on listing and you're not satisfied then surely you can return it.

Also, how do you know this vendor only "at most lightly uses them" ?

PayPal is my friend ... ;)

The fact that the problem is just with the powered cars might mean they were taken apart repeatedly to try to fix a mechanical problem.

Are the window strips properly in place? If not, they might possibly interfere with a good fit between the body and the chassis. Just a thought...

Rich K.

Hello Mr Rich,

Yes, you raise an interesting proposition.  However, only one of the panto cars is motorised - car 2, which is 778-7000.  Because BOTH panto cars are having the problem I'm wondering if the shells may have been swapped at some stage? 

You may have success by removing the shells from the chassis, then wrapping rubber bands from about 1/3 to about 2/3 of the way along each body shell, so that they bow the lower edge of the shell inwards in the middle. Let them stay like that for a day or two, remove the rubber bands and see if it helps tighten up the fit over the chassis. (Put protective material under the rubber bands to protect the body shells from damage from applying and removing the rubber bands.)

Rich K.