Need Help! E651 motor refuses to run

JR 500系

Hi guys!

As the title goes, I need help with my E651 Super Hitachi motor car.

Abit of history on this set: This is the older model set, 10-164 as compared with the newer one 10-174. I got this for a steal about 1 year ago (it was priced really good) and it already had factory installed interior lighting which I love. I test ran it when it arrived and it was running just perfect.

Yesterday, almost 1 year of not running it, I took it out for a spin and photo shoot (please check out my other thread for pictures on this) and it decided not to move. Here's a video of how it reacts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_aHtDavi60&feature=youtu.be

As the motor tries to move, it sounds so ... stuck! Something's definitely wrong with it, and it wouldn't move on its own without me pushing it.  

Any idea how I might resolve this? I really love this model and would love to keep it. running of course.

Thanks in advance!

Kind of sounds like you might have a stripped drive shaft. You can check this by pulling the drive shafts out and seeing if they have all the 4 little nubs around each end of the drive shaft. If one end feels like the nubs are smaller then its stripped.

Have you checked the wheels and track are clean as well.

Also make sure each bogie is solidly in place. Some times one can get out of joint and make the car not sit square on the tracks and run properly.

Last thing could be dirty pickup contacts. These can be checked by pulling the bogies and seeing if dirty.

But the high whine sort of sounds like a stripped drive shaft.

Cheers

Jeff

Hello,

It consist in a friction of the motor axle with the bear rings: try to put a small drop of oil in any bear ring in the motor.

I had the same froblem in my shinkansen 0 and in many other models...

good point could always be sticking somewhere. also in the truck gears and/or sucked some smutz up into the gears. you can usually fish around with a pair of fine tweezers in the slots over the gears in the bottom of the trucks to see if obvious hunks go gunk are there, but sometimes stuff gets way up in the gear train in the truck like hairs and wound around stuff. 

just taking it apart and looking thru everything is good to clean out smutz, check the drive shaft ends and put a tiny tiny drop of light weight oil on the motor bearings (just at the base of the motor shaft on either side of the motor). do this with just a tiny bit of very light weight oil on a toothpick, you dont want to gum it up with a big drop. you can run the motor by hooking some wire to your track and to either contact on the motor.

taking the trucks apart is a bit more work, but usually not too hard. usually the outer frame of the truck is held in place with one tab on the inner frame you leaver the outer frame over. most of the gears and shafts just drop into the inter frame, some gears can have their own shafts that have to be pushed thru to pull the gear. but usually you can get in there and pull out all the gunk. swishing in 70% isopropyl alcohol can also help clean out old gunk and grease. then relube with some heavy gear oil once all dry.

jeff