T gauge layout making of movie

Here is a very very fun movie of the making of a t guage layout. someone really had some energy to make this or was also doing their video class project at the same time!

enjoy!

cheers

jeff

Its also really tough to teach the tools to run themselves, been trying to make the saw and drill work like that for years, this guy seems to have really tamed his!

jeff

Jeff - Great find--- I missed this thread. It actually is a nice tutorial on how he built his layout. Did you catch what material he used to make his bridge with?

bernard,

yes it is a nice prep on how to do a t gauge layout. i think he put more work into the making video than the actual making of the t gauge layout!

when i first watched it i just thought it wood, but now looking at it a second time i realize it was then curved after the arches were cut. the chips on the drill press look like wood! i wonder if he cut a bunch of thinner strips or a pile of chip board, then bent it? but then you would not have nice arches anymore! it is curious!

wonder if it was a pvc foamcore like sintra that is thermoplastic and he just heated it and bent it! you can get sintra in 6mm and 12mm thicknesses. i cant wait to get my sheet of sintra when i get back to dc here and play with it. i was just doing a little maintainence visit to an exhibit here in calif and realized that all the graphic panels on this job were done on 6mm sintra and they are really holding up great and we made some small covers out of black sintra 3mm that are really ridgid. id didnt realize the exhibit graphic guy had used it so much, no have to play with it and the trains! its only $23 for a 4x8 sheet of 3mm white.

cheers,

jeff

yes they did migrate and appear to have had some issues with userids and passwords. i cant remember if i signed up or not when they started the forum.

http://www.t-gauge.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249

ive been too busy lately to keep on top of t gauge that much, but hope to get back into it more now that the flex track and points are on the way for release. that will dramatically change what can be done with t gauge and i think really stimulate a new round of interest!

in a lot of respects t gauge should be much easier to get stuff done quickly and cheaply as doing base work, scenery and even scratch built structures should be faster than n scale as its so much smaller and fine detail does not have to be done as at a foot or two you could not even see the detail if it were there! also doing card stock models is a real option here as the surface details would not show up at that scale anyway (in n scale the surface details would show up some and thus most cardstock models unless heavily layered tend to look like card stock models). also at the scale distance you see t gauge from (ie 2'-4' equal to 300-600 yards) most windows go gray visually anyway so you dont even have to do clear windows. some small strip stock on the outside of the card stock appropriately colored could give a tad of added dimension to make a structure pop some more if you wanted as well w/o having to have a lot of texture detail on it. another option is to take existing card stock model images and cut out the windows on a graphics program and then print onto clear acetate sheets if you want windows. interior lighting might be a challenge , but eishindo does this on heavier clear plastic for their structures. i think their concept of using a small clear plastic light pipe that has some texture to light the structures is probably the best solution as it gives a small amount of diffuse light that probably works best to light the windows some but not cause the whole structure to glow! most model structures are usually lit way too much with single point sources anyway. fiber optic strands might also provide the small amounts of light that could be diffused some as well.

the great thing is that there are a lot of japanese structures out there (especially for larger buildings) that folks have made nice card stock model templates for! card stock modeling seems to be a big hobby in japan, doing simple and clean stuff with a more perceived detail than the hyper detailed british approach. the perceived detail is perfect for tiny t scale stuff!

cheers

jeff

You know, in this situation a coffee table layout T scale works because you can do a lot with the space you have. I also realize you can't ballast T gauge track can you? It so small a speck of ballast could damage the motor.