What unlikely releases do you want?

Guest keio6000

Claude_Dreyfus

World Craft were planning to release an HD300 shunter; sadly canned. Could Kato/Tomix/MA oblige?

• Like 1
The Next Station Is...

World Craft were planning to release an HD300 shunter; sadly canned. Could Kato/Tomix/MA oblige?

I second this!

Hello Mr Melandir,

So sorry, MicroAce has no plan to release A0750 or A0751 at this time.  There is also no product available on Yahoo.  Your chances of getting such an item are very slim.  A0750 was released in 2004.  It was re-released 12/2010.  Only 6 consists of 50000 exist and one has recently been painted red temporarily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikdrbtegAkQ&feature=player_embedded

Hello Mr Melandir,

MicroAce has a reputation for obtaining exclusivity, at least for a period of time.  So sorry, but "don't hold your breath", as they say.  My bet is on a re-release in about 4 years ... 2018.  Interest in the prototype has diminished in recent years.

I'd love to see an Ef81-451 or 452. I like the general shape of the normal EF81, but I really like the rectangular headlights on those 2 trains as opposed to the circular ones above the cab on the rest of them.

I'd really like to see the Tomix JR 700-7000 Hikari Railstar in the 8 car set as this was the first Shinkansen I rode in Japan. Did KATO ever make one?

I'd really like to see the Tomix JR 700-7000 Hikari Railstar in the 8 car set as this was the first Shinkansen I rode in Japan. Did KATO ever make one?

It is on my hobby search wish list. It has only ever had a single run in 2010 or 2011 I think. So much be due for another run soon (hopefully).

Tomix seems to be filtering through their Shinkansens in the past few months. So cross your fingers.

Edited by katoftw

Well, Tomix was the only maker that did the Hikari Rail Star. There were quite a number of versions (3 I think) from older to the latest 92822 model with power coupler, but all sold out now. Your only chance will be Yahoo Auctions.

I doubt there will be a re-release of this model, since I reckon the Railstar would be 'forced' to retire soon, like the rest of his 700 series brothers to make way for the newer, faster N700 series. It's one of the really unique colour schemes which I like also apart from the boring white and blue....

Thanks for the updates, I guess it's just wait and see as you guys said. I couldn't find it in any form anywhere on a recent trip to japan with visits to Osaka and Tokyo model shops. But yes sadly it's days seem numbered. Almost the same as the 500 series, I only saw a handful of those too.

I doubt there will be a re-release of this model, since I reckon the Railstar would be 'forced' to retire soon, like the rest of his 700 series brothers to make way for the newer, faster N700 series. It's one of the really unique colour schemes which I like also apart from the boring white and blue....

Tomix just released 3 different 300 series Shinkansen sets ie basic and 2 add ons only 2 weeks ago. So retirement doesn't really stop a manufacturer from producing a model. Edited by katoftw

Thanks for the updates, I guess it's just wait and see as you guys said. I couldn't find it in any form anywhere on a recent trip to japan with visits to Osaka and Tokyo model shops. But yes sadly it's days seem numbered. Almost the same as the 500 series, I only saw a handful of those too.

I think there is only 8 total 8 car 500 series sets left in operation.

I would mind a Tomix Kodoma 8 car 500 series set also.

Edited by katoftw

An unlikely release I came up with would be a Keisei 3600 model.

63028499_624.jpg

MicroAce could come up with this, but I'm also suspecting Greenmax being capable of producing this not so pretty looking model. There are many variations possible of this train, so it would be great for Greenmax to take this one up:

- 6-car debut version (1984 - 1995);

- 6-car test colour (1993 - 1995);

- 6-car new standard livery (1995 - 1999);

- 8-car new standard livery (1999 - now);

- 2-car VVVF front cars (1999 - now);

- 8-car Shibayama Railway lease (2002 - 2008).

Naturally, not all variations would be interesting, but at least a few would sell. Now, for the sales, this train has never run on Keikyū tracks, except a 2+2-car VVVF combination for a test run. The Keisei 3600 is not allowed to run on Keikyū tracks, since these require all front cars to have powered bogies. This train does not have powered bogies on the front cars. This means there will be no interest from people who collect Keikyū related rolling stock. This is a quite significant group, so sales will probably miss out on those customers. Producing this model will be a risky investment to say the least...

Edited by Toni Babelony

Oh really? I thought I was pretty lucky to ride one 500 series on a recent trip from Tokuyama to Hiroshima, albeit briefly!

Imho the cars look ok and could be made as an unpainted kit. But why is this powered bogie limitation, when many jr east trains have control trailers on both ends?

Guest keio6000

An unlikely release I came up with would be a Keisei 3600 model.

63028499_624.jpg

MicroAce could come up with this,

I think this is a good call for this category.  its a surprisingly "modern" train - it looks like it should date back at least 25 years but it's from 2003! 

but my general view is that microace (and gm pre-made) has done all steel trains badly by virtue of its manufacturing process.    steel trains really have to be done in metal, as the old Endou sets made clear.  yes, those sets are in many ways quite behind the times, but the metal at least looks right.   for all the "kind of ok" tokyu 8500 releases out there, i still think there's room for some manufacturer to really do it right (plus sell all the indonesian variations ha ha).

unfortunately, increasingly it seems i may have to put the keio 8000/9000 in this category as microace continues to slip on release dates (though i still suspect they will be released - i mean the keio mainline sets released so far have been spectacular sellers at least judging by how quicky they become unobtanium setlling for several multiples of their original asking price).

Edited by keio6000

They are indeed from 1982 to 1989. I don't know how I came up with 1984 although I have extensive literature here by my side... Anyway, these trains were made by Tōkyū and Nissha. The trains made by those companies differ themselves with the extra footplate that was added in the Tōkyū design at the position of the end doors of each carriage. Visible here:

DSCF7436_20130405022057.jpg

Left is a Tōkyū made car and right a Nissha made car. These were combined after ther 1999 rebuilds from 6 to 8 cars.

On the metal models. This train (both a Tōkyū and Nissha version) was made by Yellow Train as brass kits, but are extremely hard to find, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if only 200 or 150 were ever made... I'd also like to see metal models over plastic ones, but I don't want to imagine the price for them. When going for metal, there is always the option of doing it yourself with brass etching.

The reason why Keikyū doesn't allow trains with unpowered front bogies any more, was a series of unfortunate accidents in the early 1960s where the front car toppled over because of the light weight. Keikyū wanted to avoid this from happening, so the rule was implemented to have heavy front cars by having motors in them. This would also allow for better traction when using them for towing. There used to be exceptions, like some Keisei and Hokusō trains being allowed on the Keikyū network without powered front bogies. After around 1992~1994, this was not accepted any more and these affected Keisei and Hokusō trains were rebuilt with powered front bogies.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 2
Mudkip Orange

For some reason lately I want a Class 378. I can't justify it rationally. I think I just really like the paint scheme.

marknewton

I'd love to see a JNR ED16 or ED19 in HO, ready to run. Followed on by any member of the ED 60/61/62 family. Given some of the other models that have been released lately, I reckon none of these locos is too unlikely?

Cheers,

Mark