Recent testing of Kintetsu 22600 series on Hanshin Main Line

bikkuri bahn

h/t to quashlo at SSC forum for this.  Locations (in order) are Nishinomiya, Ashiya, and Mikage.  Mikage is one of my favorite stations on the Hanshin Line, curved platforms and a 35km/h speed restriction for through trains.  Like those low profile departure signals(出発信号機).

• Like 1

That's pretty awesome! A Kintetsu Ltd. Express on the Hanshin Main line. Who would have thought to see a dedicated rolling stock like this reappear there? I presume these formations will always be 22600 series in 4+2 formation?

Also, I wonder if this is a prelude for Hanshin or even Sanyō to build Ltd. Express rolling stock in the future... I really should stay far away from this region. It's not good for my sanity and wallet.

bikkuri bahn

The testing is intended for planned special trains (not regularly scheduled) on weekends/holidays etc.  Kintetsu is the main driver for this service being that they are also an intercity and resort operator rather than just an urban commuter route, and as such they want to attract the Hyogo Pref. market to their destinations in far flung Ise, mainly. Hanshin is merely cooperating, they are worried about shoehorning these trains into their existing services.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

I seem to remember that crews stay with their own territory, not their own trains.  Is it always this way (I'm thinking of JR companies), or is it case by case?

bikkuri bahn

I don't know about Kansai, as the number of run-through operations is not as numerous as in Kanto, but in the latter region it is common practice.  I reckon it is one of the factors for more standardization across railways in rolling stock, unfortunately for those who like variety, in the case of Kanto, with J-TREC designs.  Kansai, IMO, benefits in terms of variety from being in western Japan, where most of the rolling stock builders are located, and the fact it is far from the influence of behemoth JR-East.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I don't know about Kansai, as the number of run-through operations is not as numerous as in Kanto, but in the latter region it is common practice.  I reckon it is one of the factors for more standardization across railways in rolling stock, unfortunately for those who like variety, in the case of Kanto, with J-TREC designs.  Kansai, IMO, benefits in terms of variety from being in western Japan, where most of the rolling stock builders are located, and the fact it is far from the influence of behemoth JR-East.

I think Hanshin and Kintetsu are doing this so people who have access as far west as the Hanshin Sannomiya Station can directly ride a train all way to the Kii Peninsula--after all, I believe you can ride a train from Hanshin Sannomiya all the way to Kintetsu Nara now on a daily basis.