Tomix - why oh why

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

tokyu5000.png

this insane bid war is now on yahoo auctions.  3 days left to go.  and i used to think that the 27000 or so this set genrally fetched was really pushing it.

why tomix doesnt re-release this i just dont understand.  there's obviously demand for it and the tooling is just gathering dust, presumably.

As Toni said, it's a limited edition release to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Tokyu Railways, so it's a one-off product.  Also throw in the fact that the 5000 series (first generation) is an iconic type popular among older railfans (read: healthy hobby budgets), and you get that type of bidding activity.  As an aside, I faintly remember seeing one of these units running on the Toyoko Line between Tanmachi and Yokohama back around 1980 or so- not only are these units long gone, but the line itself has been undergrounded and the ROW is now a pedestrian path.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

yes, i understand it's a popular train and yes, I understand that the issue may be tokyu, but the issue surely must be tomix.  i can't imagine tokyu would say "no, tomix, don't give us a licensing fee for some toy trains."  tomix is just timidly sitting on it.

i have the microace aogaeru post-tokyu 2-car implementation of this. it's ok i guess, but i have been waiting and waiting for tomix to dust this off.

MA-A0098_01_lg.jpg

they're nice sets, but without mdidle cars, it's just not right (this is why i run this as 2x2 - but far from an ideal situation)

Edited by keio6000

It might be possible, that the forms are not really usable anymore and getting them re made costs money and maybe they don't see them as a volume product. A few high bids doesn't mean that if they release them with a normal price there would be more sales. They could re release it as a tomytec train collection item tough, that is cheap enough so it would sell well and can be motorized by those who actually want to run them.

yes, i understand it's a popular train and yes, I understand that the issue may be tokyu, but the issue surely must be tomix.  i can't imagine tokyu would say "no, tomix, don't give us a licensing fee for some toy trains."  tomix is just timidly sitting on it.

i have the microace aogaeru post-tokyu 2-car implementation of this. it's ok i guess, but i have been waiting and waiting for tomix to dust this off.

MA-A0098_01_lg.jpg

they're nice sets, but without mdidle cars, it's just not right (this is why i run this as 2x2 - but far from an ideal situation)

I agree this is a great train and model i want one too.

I actually think GM are more likely to do it before tomix.

Guest keio6000

I agree this is a great train and model i want one too.

I actually think GM are more likely to do it before tomix.

i agree that GM may be likely to do it because they seem to have a 'specialization' in Tokyu.

Also, it is very strange that Tomytec tetsudou collection released 8500 only as nagano dentetsu and not as tokyu. maybe, indeed, a licensing issue.  but then again, microace did make the tokyu 5000 too!

i would love a good tokyu 8500 (den-en-toshi line) model.  unfortunately, all the options so far are deficient in one way or another.

i agree that GM may be likely to do it because they seem to have a 'specialization' in Tokyu.

Also, it is very strange that Tomytec tetsudou collection released 8500 only as nagano dentetsu and not as tokyu. maybe, indeed, a licensing issue.  but then again, microace did make the tokyu 5000 too!

i would love a good tokyu 8500 (den-en-toshi line) model.  unfortunately, all the options so far are deficient in one way or another.

The 8500 was released by Tomytec as a 3-car (one front and two middle cars) Tōkyū train, but only obtainable from Tōkyū itself or over special channels.

Private rail variations of the old 5000 series are also available as non-motorised models from An•RAIL Next for about ¥2,000~¥3,000, but only as 2-car trains. Maybe the best option is to build one yourself from a Greenmax Economy kit (if you can find them xD).

The 8500 was released by Tomytec as a 3-car (one front and two middle cars) Tōkyū train, but only obtainable from Tōkyū itself or over special channels.

Private rail variations of the old 5000 series are also available as non-motorised models from An•RAIL Next for about ¥2,000~¥3,000, but only as 2-car trains. Maybe the best option is to build one yourself from a Greenmax Economy kit (if you can find them xD).

I would be interested in both. Do you know the kit name/number for the greenmax one?

Edited by kvp
Guest keio6000

ah yes indeed you are right about the tokyu 8500 / tomytec.  I've seen those on yahoo.

however, i am of very low opinion of tomytec testudou collection in general and especially for unpainted trains. 

there is i think also another option, which was an endou or some similar manufacturer making metal versions of the 8500.  due to its vintage, though, it is very expensive and relatively low quality.

i do have an endou toei 10-000 in metal.   i added a motor and lights to it.  the bare metal finish is significantly nicer than that of any comparable tomix/kato/microace pseudo-metal finishes even if, again, the overall fit and finish is dated.

the chance of me doing an economy kit are near zero.  i have however at times though about buying a well made one off yahoo jp though i've kind of made a promise to myself that i would not buy built kits any more.   of interest, there are more keio 5000 built sets on yahoo these days - while this in general is a popular model for kits, one can hope that this is in response to some rumours that somebody (microace?) is finally.. finally thinking about doing that iconic train.

the only regular train i can think offhand that I'd like to buy in kit form is an alpico dentetsu ex inokashira line set as due to mould issues this may be unlikely to be released in built form soon.. but you never know.. maybe GM can surprise..

And this already exists: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10244877p/10/1  (albeit at a criminally ludicrous price)

Edited by keio6000