HobbyModel Kumoni13

marknewton

About the middle of last year I bought a HobbyModel kit for a JNR Kumoni13 EMU parcel van. At the moment I can't do any work on the tramway layout so I thought I'd make a start on building this kit. Its rather nicely moulded and so far has gone together very easily, needing only minor cleanup.

12791984363_9373311688_c.jpg

I have to decide what livery to paint it - grape, blue & ivory, or "Shonan" green & orange?

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

I too vote for grape. I like the version with the yellow stripe at the roofline, this version apparently doesn't have the correct roof for that.

• Like 1

Thanks lads, I'll go with the grape. And thanks too for the link to those photos, I hadn't seen them before. They'll be useful when it comes time to paint and weather the model. As noted, the grape livery seems to be the most common, plus it will match my newly-arrived Kato Kumoha40/41 four-car EMU set.

Miyakoji, it's funny that you should ask me about prototypical accuracy and modelling a particular region. When I was into modelling US railroads I was fairly strict about both those things, as well as keeping to a specific era. I think I may have been a bit overzealous about accuracy sometimes...  :sad1:  

But since my conversion to Japanese modelling I've become much more relaxed about that sort of stuff, and I know I'm happier for it. And the sky didn't fall down!  :)

Joking aside, the geographical area that has most interest for me is Hokuriku region, but if a nice model of an ED61 or ED61 in HO were to come on the market I'd seriously consider modelling the Iida line, or at least protofreelancing something based on it. I have a DVD that my wife got me as a birthday present that shows the Iida line towards the end of freight train operations there, and it's very modelgenic.

All the best,

Mark.

I too vote for grape. I like the version with the yellow stripe at the roofline, this version apparently doesn't have the correct roof for that.

No, which is a bit of a shame, I like that version too. But that's okay, the version I have I like just as much.

Cheers,

Mark.

While looking into the operational history of this type, I came across an interesting website on newspaper haulage using this type on the Yokohama Line between Higashi Kanagawa and Hachioji.  A kumoni 13 was coupled to a four-car 73 series at Higashi Kanagawa, and took 1 hour and 10 min. on its run to Hachioji, with stops taking 2~5 minutes at certain intermediate stations to unload the dailies. This service lasted until Sept. 1979.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/8439/13/13.htm

Daiya (string diagram) of this run.  It's the dashed line running diagonally down left to right. 

http://www1.tmtv.ne.jp/~marina/html-daiya/s54-daiya.htm

• Like 2

No-one has ever accused me of being a fast worker, or finishing projects quickly, but I'm slowly working my way through the backlog of unfinished kits that live on or around my workbench. Here's where I'm up to with the Kumoni 13. The DT-10 trucks are made by Nikko Model, and the PS-13 pantograph is by Tomix. Since I started building this model I've bought another Kumoni kit, so I intend to have one powered car and one trailer. I've got three power trucks that are suitable for use under this model. There's a Hollywood Foundry BullAnt, a Steam Era Models Black Beetle, and a NWSL Stanton. I'll probably use the Black Beetle because it has spoked wheels, which I think look great. I'll change out the disc wheels in the unpowered trailing truck for matching spokes, also from Steam Era Models.

gallery_22_66_247881.jpg

And now that I have some of the MicroAce models of the ED60/61/62 series locos, there's no reason for me not to paint at least one of these cars in Yokosuka livery.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3

Some progress on the Kumoni 13 parcel van:

gallery_22_66_924575.jpg

Underframe details added, as well as working Sumitomo couplers from Tomix. I've used these couplers in preference to knuckles so I can couple this car to some other parcel vans I have:

gallery_22_66_765853.jpg

Tomix Kumoni 83, nominally RTR, but it comes with many detail parts to be added - etched window wipers, handrails, steps, snowploughs, etc.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I have a couple of the Tomix kumoni too. Nice units which I will use with the unpowered 165 series Kato units I found in a dusty Nagoya hobby shop this summer.

• Like 1