Kato EH200 lights issue

Mania

I recently ran a newly purchased EH200 on my very dusty layout a bit, and then used it to tow my Tomix rail cleaning car so that the track is clean again. Problem is, I don't remember if this was present when I first ran it (I think it wasn't, but I am not sure) but the headlights on one side of the locomotive work fine but on the other side (the "1" side), it takes more power than necessary to start moving the train before the lights turn on. That is to say, I can make the train move without its lights on in one direction.

However, I am sure that I have never seen any red lights on the train at all in either direction; do those even light up? Does anyone know what my problem is, and how to fix it? Is it dust? I have not figured out how to disassemble the vehicle, and I'm frankly a bit afraid to damage it further. Any input would be great! 

Edited by Mania

Usually red lights on loco does not work, the lightpipe is present but there is no led behind it

I have disassembled my kato ef58 and ef81 and none of them had red lights

Also no red lights on my tomix ef66

Usually red lights on loco does not work, the lightpipe is present but there is no led behind it

I have disassembled my kato ef58 and ef81 and none of them had red lights

Also no red lights on my tomix ef66

Thanks, that's one problem solved!

I too have the Kato EH200 model.

Firstly, the only Kato Locos I have with working tail lights are the Kato EF63 Banking Locos as these were often at the rear of a DMU/EMU pushing it over Usui Pass. Well they were until 1997 anyway.  These are nice models with an on/off switch for each end. As they work in pairs, only the rear loco would have its tail lights on. All of my other Kato Locos (EF15, EF81, EF510, DD54, EF65...the list goes on) have only headlights.

My EH200 has very bright LED headlights but even using the Kato Hyper D controller (2amp) the loco crawls forward nicely on low power but the headlights don't come on until you give it a bit more juice. Other Locos I have will stay stationary on low power with their LEDS bright (as if they were DCC).

I would be interested to hear if anyone has solved this - higher amps on the controller etc..

its not the controller, more or less amps wont affect this. its the motor or the LED circuit in the EH200. the motor just turns over at a lower voltage that is below the voltage needed to fire the led circuit up. might be that the LED circuit needs a higher voltage to start glowing or that its a motor that starts running at a lower voltage than others.

Other locos the motor just needs more volts before they will start turning and that is more than their LED circuits need to start glowing.

jeff

Mine is somewhere between Japan and Australia.  So I can give another view in about 2 weeks.  Although what Jeff said seems spot on.